3800 M90 Build | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3800 M90 Build

Ok the cats out the bag!!im going supercharged .its a 3800 gm m90.i need lots of help as im a nos guy.for starters my list of mods is in my signature.the guy im buying it from ran it on a stock tuned motor at 3psi.first question is what is the "safe" limit to run boost at?i know it is not ideal but i have a wide band O2 and will be doing tuning very soon.i also will be trying to have my company make a new lower intake mounting bracket on the cnc machine and have it taped for nos/water meth injectors/spray bars.i will also be getting a p+p unit from 3800 performance and stepping down on the pulley to try and run 8-10psi.what size injectors should i run for that?which fuel pump should i run?any suggestions on tuning?i was going to go mega squirt but i see sct has a new chip out,any suggestions?

DONE

ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

dyno run,these was the last two pulls with the 2.7 and the alternator was bad.turn your volume down!!

and a 3.25 pull and think my rev is still set to 5000 in this one

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

JD I just looked at the charger...looks like a nice one and a great price!

You said you could make the manifold for it to mount it to the lower intake?

Here is the guy i bought it from and yea got a great deal!!
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/classifieds/showentry.php?e=1716&catid=7
yea i got a new job a couple months ago, I build military stretcher carts now and we have a machine shop so i was going to take the mount he made and try and get my guys to copy /redesign it on the cnc machine so its maybe a lower profile and smooth it all out.i also want to have them tap it for direct port nos/water meth.but i was thinking to do nos direct port and w/m before the charger so it will cool the charger a bit.the new charger im going to run says it runs much cooler and flows way better so that should help with the detonation and build boost at very low idle;)
ps:i got it for cheaper than what he was asking;)

Excellent on the pricing!
I had the feeling the seller just wanted to find a good home for it.

I dont know where to find 28s stock. I would just get a set of 30s.

They were good enough for Ford to use on the Supercoupe with the same 'charger, slightly higher boost level (about 12 psi), but slightly smaller engine (3.8l vs 4.0l). I know, its not the best reasoning.

I'd rather have a slightly bigger injector working at a lesser duty cycle, then a smaller injector working at too high of a duty cycle. I say slightly, because you can always go way to big and the motor wont run worth a damn at idle and part throttle.

Here is some info on injectors:

http://mustangpartstech.com/FuelInjectorMath.html

Here is the guy i bought it from and yea got a great deal!!
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/classifieds/showentry.php?e=1716&catid=7
yea i got a new job a couple months ago, I build military stretcher carts now and we have a machine shop so i was going to take the mount he made and try and get my guys to copy /redesign it on the cnc machine so its maybe a lower profile and smooth it all out.i also want to have them tap it for direct port nos/water meth.but i was thinking to do nos direct port and w/m before the charger so it will cool the charger a bit.the new charger im going to run says it runs much cooler and flows way better so that should help with the detonation and build boost at very low idle;)
ps:i got it for cheaper than what he was asking;)

W/M before the blower is a good idea so it cools the blower and mixes the W/M into the air charge better. You could do the NOS before the blower too and I think you'd get more even distribution to the cylinders.

I dont know where to find 28s stock. I would just get a set of 30s.

They were good enough for Ford to use on the Supercoupe with the same 'charger, slightly higher boost level (about 12 psi), but slightly smaller engine (3.8l vs 4.0l). I know, its not the best reasoning.

I'd rather have a slightly bigger injector working at a lesser duty cycle, then a smaller injector working at too high of a duty cycle. I say slightly, because you can always go way to big and the motor wont run worth a damn at idle and part throttle.

Here is some info on injectors:

http://mustangpartstech.com/FuelInjectorMath.html
Yea seems like 30 is what most people do use and wow didn't know they ran that much boost on a stock motor.i know on the gm m90 it was 6psi stock.think ill go with 30lbs as i can find the injectors and maf on ebay.would save me money to use the 28s but i wanna be able to turn up the boost at the track if i want to;)

And I was hoping I found a home for these injectors. :-(

W/M before the blower is a good idea so it cools the blower and mixes the W/M into the air charge better. You could do the NOS before the blower too and I think you'd get more even distribution to the cylinders.

Yea think that's the way to go.not doing a big shot nos just a little for even more cooling sense i can't run a intercooler.I've read that 3lbs on a high compression is like 6 psi on a stock so 10psi at 10.5:1 should be like 15ish or power just will kick in way lower

And I was hoping I found a home for these injectors. :-(

Haha i know it seemed to good to be true.im sure i would be fine with them but would really want to be safe.thanks for the offer and hell i may still use them;)gota do more research

Just say the word, and I'll ship. Even if you want them close by, just in case.

I'll never use them.

Ronin knows his stuff man, I got a lot of info from him to get me where I am. What kinda info all do you want to know?

Im going to hyjack here just to help me understand the tuning process.

Here I go:
Say JD were to match his MAF to his larger injectors with no forced induction and confirm thru his Wideband O2 sensor that A/F mixture was perfect.
Then, he adds the forced induction. Would he still be pretty close in his A/F mixture?

Ronin knows his stuff man, I got a lot of info from him to get me where I am. What kinda info all do you want to know?

You run 30lbs right? how much boost do you run?

30lb injectors and 7-8 psi of boost....I didn't know there was a 28lb injector....

30lb injectors and 7-8 psi of boost....I didn't know there was a 28lb injector....

I don't think there is now that if looked more.you think 30lbs is on the rich side or think they are good. i wanna run about 10psi but want to be able to turn it up at the track

Hmm, the part number (0-280-155-710) referenced against the chart I found (http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm) says they are 28lb.

I did this research after I installed them as both banks were running rich. I thought that the chart explained the issue I was having. Not really sure what to say.

The injectors I have that work are beige. Im sure these are 19lb.

Is it lbs/hr that's the rating? Or are they rated at 80% duty cycle. That might be my error in reading.

Answer: Rating is lbs/hr. The spare injectors I have are 19lbs, but won't work in our motors. Sounds like they are garbage to me.

I think the injectors I installed were red.....but 30lbs with 10psi is good, but is a must tune situation.....

I think the injectors I installed were red.....but 30lbs with 10psi is good, but is a must tune situation.....

O yes a tune will be done for sure when i get to that point.what size maf are you running?what's the average a/f you run?your just about the same setup as me so;)

Hmm, the part number (0-280-155-710) referenced against the chart I found (http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm) says they are 28lb.

I did this research after I installed them as both banks were running rich. I thought that the chart explained the issue I was having. Not really sure what to say.

The injectors I have that work are beige. Im sure these are 19lb.

Is it lbs/hr that's the rating? Or are they rated at 80% duty cycle. That might be my error in reading.

They are 18.5lb .they go by flow rate;)

Back