410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier" | Page 39 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier"

okay working on instrument cluster and its wiring
After deciding on a solid path forward I pulled the trigger and started hacking into the trucks wiring.
Basically I am using a 2005 instrument cluster and its wiring pigtails
In 2005 the cluster was similar to an 07 cluster in appearance and wires, however it also still had 14 additional wires for inputs from the truck
As a result I ended up cutting off the 2007 wiring connectors and replacing them with the 2005 connectors. The 75% of wires that match up got spliced together. The other "new" 14 wires I will have to wire each circuit on the truck side of things.
Basically I am in control of things like the ABS light, OD off indicator, tachometer and coolant temp signals, and more........

2005 ranger pigtails with each wire identified
3F8C3643-2BA4-4B5C-A477-67C51499D21B.jpeg

AE620E8C-1091-42BA-9F36-90BEFC8A55F9.jpeg

05 and 06 clusters labeled

FFB8F6C0-3B44-4170-A889-FB9304A97C48.jpeg

No going back getting ready to cut the 07 connectors off

8EDFD3DC-83A4-4D20-B7A5-C3A1B118BDEA.jpeg

1B1FBC32-05E3-4CBA-8C30-0AFDF5456DD5.jpeg

Splices done now to wire the truck side

Here is some eye candy for you guys while I work through this
There maybe weeks and weeks of wiring here on this truck now to get everything working and sorted, while this is happening I will be putting the rest of the truck together

Suspension with its new limit straps, and adjusted all cleaned up ready for wheels and tires

Drivers limit strap installed
55C2476C-CD44-46E8-AAEE-EE985028B134.jpeg

36549800-138B-4C16-AC1D-7AD970C2674F.jpeg

A0DBF475-3E69-4E43-B39F-2062B2F775D5.jpeg

Here is a shot showing both suspension braces now installed
3A6CF9D6-7F6C-484D-A1C7-F32407A2D70A.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What’s the reasoning behind using the torsion bars to build the brace?

What’s the reasoning behind using the torsion bars to build the brace?
- I had them, always have t bars around the shop
- I needed some strong steel
- Inspired by other drop bracket kits on the market, I see they often have a lateral brace like this and often it is round bar
- Round sheds snow and dirt
- Parts were free, aside from the small steel plates I provided (Using the existing t bars and the t bar skid plates I made them bolt on made 90% of parts that came off the truck)
- Conversation starter "why does your ranger still have t bars and coilovers" I can hear it now
- I'm part crazy
- Just like anything "freeform fabrication" lots of thought (time fiddling around) was put into the production of these suckers
Good question!

okay working on instrument cluster and its wiring
After deciding on a solid path forward I pulled the trigger and started hacking into the trucks wiring.
Basically I am using a 2005 instrument cluster and its wiring pigtails
In 2005 the cluster was similar to an 07 cluster in appearance and wires, however it also still had 14 additional wires for inputs from the truck
As a result I ended up cutting off the 2007 wiring connectors and replacing them with the 2005 connectors. The 75% of wires that match up got spliced together. The other "new" 14 wires I will have to wire each circuit on the truck side of things.
Basically I am in control of things like the ABS light, OD off indicator, tachometer and coolant temp signals, and more........

2005 ranger pigtails with each wire identified
View attachment 438993
View attachment 438994
05 and 06 clusters labeled

View attachment 438995

No going back getting ready to cut the 07 connectors off

View attachment 438996

View attachment 438997
Splices done now to wire the truck side

Here is some eye candy for you guys while I work through this
There maybe weeks and weeks of wiring here on this truck now to get everything working and sorted, while this is happening I will be putting the rest of the truck together

Suspension with its new limit straps, and adjusted all cleaned up ready for wheels and tires

Drivers limit strap installed
View attachment 438998
View attachment 439000
View attachment 439001
Here is a shot showing both suspension braces now installed
View attachment 439002

More progress and more hurdles overcome

So we are at the point in this build where the truck is now running with the turn of the key
I was all set to get some video of the first
Official “truck is actually ready to run” phase however the smell of gas stopped me cold
So I had to shut it down and troubleshoot

3FDABE89-791A-4949-9AF5-E7D5A3C35725.jpeg

Raw fuel on the ground!

F6419EAF-C0C3-4EF0-A667-6B0C499097AA.jpeg

Only from Bank 2

Sure enough raw fuel in the exhaust, only on one bank. So I spent a few days troubleshooting. First I checked all the Holley software settings for the injectors, then I checked all the wiring for the injectors as much as I could. With everything in
Order Brett suggested I pull the spark plugs. Talk about a “oh dua” moment.
So I ran over there pulled the plugs on cyl 5-8 and sure enough only 8 is wet. That changes things one sticking injector. So the intake had to come off…. Carefully.

64434052-833B-48ED-B729-989163E5090A.jpeg

88BDB2D4-9961-4A06-8472-628579AA92FD.jpeg

Cyl 8 washed clean

07CA314C-D8E3-491C-A60D-F54A414418C6.jpeg

Sure enough put the #8 in my bench tester and it is stuck open, the carb cleaner/fuel Just poured right through….
These are “reman” injectors from eBay.
Well now they are trash, I don’t trust them, since all 8 came from the same “rebuilder”

Lucky I had another set here set aside for my own build. Complete set of 8 reman injectors 19# for a 98-01 5.0 w returnless fuel

So I removed the intake, spacer and gaskets and replaced all 8 injectors with a new set.

F492B7BB-93E0-4E3B-BBEA-F3179E1D98E2.jpeg

New set installed. All Holley wiring final wrapped

This time I tested each new injector before install.

Intake back on

Now the truck starts and runs with the bump of the key and no more raw fuel in the exhaust

So this morning I am going to change the oil in case any fuel made it into the crankcase and then I can get the video we have all been wanting.

She sounds so wicked!! Nasty sounding v8 ranger I’m happy. Rollercoaster ride building these things… I am sure these trucks have removed some years off my life

I now have a working tachometer, working coolant gauge, working od button and light and now I am wiring up the brake/park interlock

Floor shifter is mocked up and shifting the transmission more on this later

68BC3D0C-F29B-4FD3-9601-40BB4F0D15B7.jpeg

After a long heat cycle I then re torqued the headers and all exhaust she is ready to run!!
219FE058-0DD0-4F31-B057-50C3B633EE07.jpeg

A hole injector

3BA969CE-6AB6-46C7-B015-952C9DF8B515.jpeg

New taylor wires arrived! Ordered
Last october

F465785D-F3A5-41F3-98BA-7E77EF9B4F30.jpeg

Now Building the instrument cluster

Today is build some driveshafts day! Stay tuned

Rough time there, I'm glad you got it worked out. Rebuilt injectors are a good deal versus new, but there is a small chance to worry about.

I like that 7000rpm tach too, is there any way to use one of those in an older 2nd gen? My final engine will shift at about 6k I think, so it's not a real need.

Evil bay is a mix of good deals and cheap trash. Things like U joints, I can get a complete driveline set off E bay for less than the cost of replacing the double cardan joints, buying at napa or auto zone.

Looking good. In post #759 is the suspension support/brace bars fabbed to give the front suspension some front to rear stability?

Yea because we are using a drop bracket lift along with a coilover conversion I wanted to add a lateral brace to support the superlift drop brackets. You see some who have gone before me now think that with a mid travel kit and drop brackets it’s now a trophy truck and one trip to the desert results in bent drop brackets.
I know this truck will not be beat on as hard as some of those but I figured a little support cannot hurt. Many Chevy ford and Toyota drop bracket kits often include bars like these.
I was happy to be able to fab them with metal we already had and make them 100% bolt on using factory holes and fasteners

Structural stability is really important as you alter the suspension, height etc. It's really smart to think of those things when you do serious modifications.:salute:

So far I have this tach working with the 5.0 and Holley I am sure this 05 cluster could be used in an older truck

you have me a tad (meaning LOTS) worried because of me having to crank and crank my truck without it firing and god only knows how much fuel ending up in the oil (i did change it twice, and both times it reeked like fuel) and not knowing if the motor is damaged or not!
i am going to be picking your brain on getting as many stock gauges working with the holley x once (if) i get mine up and going this spring.

You would think I would learn over all these years DO NOT USE THE $$$$$ OIL RIGHT AWAY hahahahaha always get it running first! (couple of heat cycles at least)
Then comes the Mobil one full synth.........

$50+ right down the tubes

Hang tight dudes
Video of truck running is coming
I found a dude lives 30 minutes from me parts out F150....guess who now owns a bunch of clean F150 driveshafts and t cases
NO DENTS in the rear d shafts
Finding cores to build the shafts from is always a challenge where I live.....not anymore!!

I am building the driveshafts for this truck
I will finally be able to move her under her own power this weekend!!

I had a older K2 Blazer that had the same interior pattern as Jamie’s shop rag.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will let the video speak for itself
Build Thread updates are coming

Back