5spdman's slow and cheap XLT build | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5spdman's slow and cheap XLT build

Lol I hear you there, mine isn't too happy about my new build either. Atleast you haven't sold it!

My wife hasn’t pitched too much of a fit about my projects, seeing as I have two presently my 94 Z71, and my 93 Explorer. Fortunately, only one of those two is in a state of is in an inoperable state at the very present moment. Granted it would only take a couple hours to get it back in an operational state.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wife hasn’t pitched too much of a fit about my projects, seeing as I have two presently my 94 Z71, and my 93 Explorer. Fortunately, only one of those two is in a state of is in an inoperable state at the very present moment. Granted it would only take a couple hours to get it back in an operational state.
Mine only does when it's long work hours followed by long expo hours. She loves to get out and use it tho!

Well, I finally got out to the shop...had a little help come out too to get things done!

IMG_20190611_201836083.jpg

Got everything out in pretty good time too (for being my first big engine work if we're honest)...only issues were some plastic tabs breaking off of the plugs and not being able to get the dipstick tube out.

IMG_20190611_212637345.jpg

IMG_20190611_212648329.jpg

I should have attempted to get the manifolds off of the heads before I headed home for the night, or at least doused them in Blaster, but I failed to do so...guess I can swing by tomorrow and do so.

Not sure how I'll do it without getting anything in the engine, but I'd really like to douse the whole thing in degreaser and hose it off as it's quite greasy...oh well, making progress!

I remember my time with replacing heads on my old 92, as I failed to do the same thing when it came to the exhaust manifolds. I never did succeed in removing them, and bought the pacesetter headers as a replacement. I still have those headers and heads from said 92 Explorer that hasn’t been around in years. I plan on installing the headers on my latest 93 when I do the transmission swap.

I dont see all the marked ziplock bags with hardware in them. Lol

I have to do that, and tag connectors to know where everything goes!

I do spy a little one getting big tho. :)

I dont see all the marked ziplock bags with hardware in them. Lol

I have to do that, and tag connectors to know where everything goes!

I do spy a little one getting big tho. :)

I didn't have any with me, but I either left bolts in their respective holes or threaded back to where they belong so as not to get lost...the connectors I'm not so worried about, it's remembering where to run all the wires lol...

And yes, he's getting big! Wish I had more time to spend at home just sitting inside with him, but sometimes things need done...

Well, Thursday I went out after work (got rained out in the afternoon and had some time) and decided I'd get the manifolds off and the heads ready to take to the local engine shop. As fate would have it, I only broke 2 bolts.....and they were both on the heat shield! All the manifold bolts came out, no problem at all! Well one required a little lube and patience, but we're all good to go! Took the heads in this afternoon to be surfaced and the valves checked, should be back to me in a week.

Speaking of those broken studs...how vital is that heat shield around the passenger side manifold? There was a thin hose attached to it, not sure what for....

Also, my air intake, vacuum lines (to the filter) and breather tube(?...going from the intake tube to the valve cover) all kinda smelled like gas...something I need to look into? Normal? I can do suspension work, bearing and apparently rebuild a manual trans, but this is really the first time I've dove into real engine work...

If there is fuel in those lines, it's the fuel pressure regulator. Just replace it.

Congrats on those manifold bolts. Very cool indeed.

I would keep the heat shield, it kind of helps stuff from melting. mainly wires.

If there is fuel in those lines, it's the fuel pressure regulator. Just replace it.

I would keep the heat shield, it kind of helps stuff from melting. mainly wires.

Got it...heading to the interwebs to order some parts...

Will have to figure out how to replace the studs that broke off of the heat shield, but we'll get it done...

Got a call from the engine shop today...heads were mounted to the table getting ready to be surfaced and valves were tested for leaks...all of them failed. Getting a valve job done while they're there...

Speaking of those broken studs...how vital is that heat shield around the passenger side manifold? There was a thin hose attached to it, not sure what for....

From my understanding the heat shield is an emissions item, designed to take the heat from your manifolds and pipe it into the air intake inlet tube. The plumbing on mine rotted off many years ago. I removed that shield also. If you are not planning on plumbing that shield back to your intake then I would leave it off.

It has been entirely too long since I posted anything anywhere here. With now 2 little boys, home ownership, remodels, other projects, the Ex kinda got put on the wayside.

I'm not sure what had happened, but not long after replacing the head gaskets, the Ex just seemed like it would bog down after warming up. Replaced plugs and wires, same issue. Block tester told me I was getting exhaust gas in the coolant again. I'm really hoping it was just something I did wrong since I have no signs of a cracked block and the heads were fine, but I am finally getting back to work on it!

Just received new head gaskets (mice got to the set I had purchased almost 3 years ago now) and am gonna try and get stuff going back on today. I've given myself til August to get it running again and then we'll take it from there.

Unfortunately, the Ex has sat so long I also have new issues. The mess from mice can be taken care of easy enough, but apparently the windshield had started leaking again, and with it sitting so long, moisture started to take a toll...moldy headliner and visors. Water also collected on some pulley assembly's sitting on the passenger seat, and now it has a permanent impression, mold and some tears, so some revamping of the interior will be in order.

As it was sitting and not being used, and I had glorious dreams for the build, it is also minus an 8.8. Some trading was done with a friend who wheels a Ranger (don't remember the year) and for the small fee of the 8.8 and a M5OD rebuild, I received a 7.5 (just so it sat on something), a Dana 60 front and Sterling 10.5 rear. To at least get back into the swing of things, I'll be looking for another 8.8 to throw underneath so I can at least drive the EX again. When I eventually get to the 1 ton swap, the 8.8 will find it's way underneath my 97 Ranger (another project for another thread.)

My oldest son is the only one to have ridden in the Explorer and he was in an infant carrier at the time...he'll be 4 in November, so it's definitely time to get back to it. Updates to follow...

Until then, here's a pic of one of my projects that had taken up some of my time over the last couple years...
IMG_20210810_125244966_HDR.jpg

This wagon is also not quite done yet. Still needs the harnesses salvaged from old car seats, the dash for the steering wheel and some paint, but this is a fully working, 4 link rear, 3 link front wagon (pic is with the "radius arm" front setup that wasn't working so well). I may end up with a small thread on this build as well!

Update on my over due update...

Heads and lower intake are on...rest of the engine should be able to be back together with a good afternoon or two. Will still have the other issues to work out, but ready to get it running again, which is a big step for me...

On a related side note, anyone have any good ideas for draining/mostly draining a 1/2 full fuel tank with almost 3 year old gas in it without dropping the tank? I will if I have to, but would rather not...

Can you pull the fill hose without destroying it? I would be afraid to try to remove mine due to its age.

If you ever cut a access hole in the floor to replace the fuel pump, you could go in the same way.

We drained a Ranger fuel tank in Moab by disconnecting a fuel line and hot wiring the fuel pump relay.

That was kinda what I had in mind, just slightly different as I have not (and would rather not) cut the floor...I was thinking about disconnecting the fuel line at the filter, attaching a hose to it (to run into a container), and then running power to the pump...never thought about supplying power at the relay...

That should work.

We had a vehicle with a tank of bad gas, so we did with what we had. I think all it took was removing the relay and using a piece of wire as a bridge to get the pump going.

3 years is not that old LOL LOL LOL I have started trucks that sat longer then that

Now with that said it IS a good idea to pump that fuel out of there
Do like you are planning, remove the hose at the ENGINE (not filter) its easier. Find a fuel safe hose that fits over the fuel line fitting....plumb it into your catch can
Now power up the pump at the relay or at the pump connector back by the tank
the two largest wires in that connector are the power and ground

I took a ten year hiatus from Explorerforum because my son was born and he had some heart defects. LIFE HAPPENS!! Now he is 13 and 5'-4" and I have time for EF again. So welcome back!! Cute kid,. sweet wagon! It gets worse.
Once my son hit 6 or 7 he showed an interest in mario cart and because of that riding atv's I finally had some common ground for us, I think I have now owned built and flipped about 16 kids atvs LOL LOL LOL I have enough kids atv here at any given time for all of them to ride. Kids are addicting!!

I was thinking at the filter just so I'm not running that old gas through it, but since the engine is still somewhat apart, I might as well...just looked at it and the one line just reaches the wheel well so this should be a pretty quick and easy thing to do...might do that this afternoon....

Got a second wind in me yesterday, went out and got the exhaust manifolds, rocker arms and valve covers on, and spark plugs installed...might do some more things afternoon as well, but it's Sunday and I'm not usually one to do much on a Sunday...

Easy to get stuff done when your wife and kids are stranded in another state.......(they went on a "short" vacation Tuesday, and the trans in our Acadia went out on their way to the beach...shop can't get a trans until this coming Tuesday, so they're just visiting her aunt and uncle and enjoying some extended beach time while we wait...)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fam is still away, shop should be getting the trans tomorrow...we were approved to refinance our vehicle and add the bill to the loan with the bank and a lot of my wife's family wanted to help so her aunt started a GoFundMe page, so there's an answer to prayer and a weight off my shoulders!

Speaking of weight off my shoulders, I got bit by the bug yesterday, got the rest of the engine together and drained 5 gallons of old gas out of the tank...ran a line from the fuel line fitting in the engine bay (which just reached the wheel well) into an old gas can and bridged the relay...found the serpentine belt this afternoon after work, got the last little bits hooked up, added 10 gallons of fresh fuel and some fuel stabilizer, added water back into the cooling system, and we are running!!

Edgar lives again!! Now to take care of those bum rear legs and rotten insides.......

Back