'97 V8's Manual 4406 swap..finally | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 V8's Manual 4406 swap..finally

Well Finally my parts are coming in for my t-case swap. My t-case will be here Wednesday. My driveshafts and gas tank on Monday. Friday i will begin the swap. Hopefully it will be done within the day.

I did buy a shift linkage from a 97 f-150. Now i just have to figure out where to put it becuase of the center console interferance.

As V8boatbuilders thread indicated, i bought a rear driveshaft froma 97 Expedition, and front froma 97 f-150. THe wrecking yard was kind enough to include new u-joints on the shafts. The gas tank is out of a 97 sport.
The transfer case is out of a 1997 f-150. Its a 4406 manual with a speedo hole for the VSS thankfully.

Since i'll have the t-case out, im going to go ahead and replace the transmission mount bushing with a polyurethane mount. Does daystar make one for the 4r70w?

My only concern is how im going to get the center console out. Im going to search around on the forum to see how i can remove it. If you have any suggestion on the shift linkage set up, im all ears.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Removing the console it cake. Take out the cubby hole and cup holder parts.. and there's about 4 screws you need to take out. I just left mine out for a while until I found a short console to throw in.

Also, the linkage will be cake too. :p Take the front seats out, pull the carpet back, remove the floor access panel deal, install the shifter/linkage, then eye ball where to cut the aluminum cover. You don't have to be too on either. The boot allows for a lot of error.

See if you can fit the TC in there without changing the gas tank. If my measurements are right it should fit but be tight.

sweetness
lets see it!

boominXplorer said:
See if you can fit the TC in there without changing the gas tank. If my measurements are right it should fit but be tight.

i sure hope it will fit. That'll be 70 bucks saved and a lot less bolts to take out and put back in.

picked up the driveshafts today. I need to get a new boot for the front as it has a tear in it. Front was out of a 02 f-150 5.4 liter with 30k on the odo, and the rear was out of a 02 expedition 5.4 with 10k on the odomoter. the expedition was the standard coil suspension as the air and std suspension have the same driveshafts. Hope fully the case will be coming wednesday or thursday...driday the latest i hope. \

Can i take a bfh to the gas tank if the gas tank is in the way a little?

plastic gas tanks dont like hammers

its metal..

I have a question. Why wont the current front drivehsaft on the mounty work with this case? The d-shaft looks long enough and has a d-carden at the output part of the case. The 5.4 d-shaft obviously doesnt. Also, i dont know if my eyes are playing tricks on me, but the d-shaft of the mounty looks somewhat bigger then the d-shaft of the f-150.

You have one of the early awd t-cases that didn't have the ghey ball-cv type setup where it joins the T-case. I dont think anyone ever took it into logic or thought about using it. Now you could be a first.

Good luck in that project.

I was attempting to remove the center console..got the plastic cubby and ash try pieces out as well as the kleenex holder. Section was right..4 bolts and a harness plug. (things make a lot of sence when you see it in real life).

Anyways my question is after doing some research, ive found when you unplug the wiring harness, you loose the 2 speakers in the back. What gives? How do i avoid this situation.

ITS HERE ITS HERE!!!!! Got a call from my mechanic saying you got a early christmas present. Gonna pick this ***** up on friday and install it on saturday..yay...or install it friday if i have time.

install it tonight

410Fortune said:
install it tonight

Cant, i have a midterm tomorrow and the case is at my mechanics shop. (the trucking company would only send it to a business). I have work on Thuirsday too, 2pm-10pm. Now i need to find my damn digital camera.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dude i have the best luck. UBC said they will give me credit for my poli sci class i took when i was at Harvard! That means i get to withdraw from this class that i have a midterm in tomorrow. That means...i maybe installing it tomorrow.

Back