• Register Today It's free!

A/C Evaporator Fan Install

MDmounty

Reaction score
City, State
Preston, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty V8
Just what the title says I will be showing you guys the fan that I installed on my a/c evaporator. It gets hot here, usually around 100 degrees and the humidity doesn't help any and I'm constantly sitting still weather in traffic or parking lots so I decided a to put in a fan to get some airflow while I'm not moving because my a/c will get quite warm after a while and I start sweating in my own truck which is never ok. So let's get started!

I got a 7 inch fan from Amazon for about 25$ it came with the fan zip ties to attach it to the radiator with. I would suggest getting a 5 1/2 or a 6 inch fan as I have about half an inch hanging from the bottom and the top of my radiator but it's no big deal.
image_6.jpg

I had to cut a bit off of the inside lining there to get the fan to fit, it couldn't fit behind the radiator like I wanted it to because of the frame in the front of the truck there. If you are gonna do this beware as this is made of fiberglass and I learned the hard way when I started hacking at it with my reciprocating saw and the dust got all over me. I probably had to cut out 1/2-3/4 of an inch off for the fan to fit up front.
image_5.jpg

Next I found out the polarity of the wires to get the fan to blow the right way then I mounted it. I ran one wire to ground and the other to the center console to be mounted on my switch. I ran another wire from the battery to the center console with a 7.5 amp fuse to go to the other side of the switch in my console. Here is the switch I've mounted, it's below my message center so I don't accidentally hit it with anything.
image_3.jpg

The fan and switch work great so I cleaned everything up and tested it out. Here's the fan with everything put back together
image_4.jpg

My first worry was that the fan being on the front would block wind and make the radiator not operate as efficiently as it did before while I was driving. So the first thing I did was cruise around with max a/c on. I rode around some back roads ranging from 35 to 65 mph and everything was working perfectly. So then I left my truck out in the sun (around 95 and sunny) for about 45 minutes to get it nice and hot inside. Came out, turned the fan on, then turned the truck on. The a/c got cooler noticeably quicker, it usually didn't get cold until I started moving down the road a bit but I sat for about half a minute and it got very cool sitting there. After that I decided to sit in the parking lot and see how it did maintaining the cool airflow. Sat in the parking lot for about 20 minutes and a/c never got warm. Overall this fan worked great and for 25$ and a few hours of time this was very much worth it as I sit in my truck in traffic and just waiting for periods of time.
I hope I have given someone ideas or guidance if they've had the same problem I did.
I apologize if the pictures don't show up or are too big, I did all this from my phone

Well your trans oil cooler will definitely like the extra airflow.

Give it some time though. Without shrouding to direct the airflow into the condenser it's doing very little. You probably need a fan clutch. My ac is ice cold even in 100+ temps and sitting in traffic.

You installed a transmission cooler fan, but I also doubt any air is getting to the condenser. The ac condenser is the large radiator in front of the engine coolant radiator.

The ac evaporator is located in the hvac box with the heater core.

However, this is still a good idea for longer transmission life.

Back