AWD explorer as hot rod chassis... | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD explorer as hot rod chassis...

Sweet build sir. We are picture ******, so bring it on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, how did i miss this thread for so long? Subscribing now!

we need a tapping fingers on desk smilie for occasions like this--

waiting.gif

You almost have to know I had one. :p:

This project is making me drool:D Can't wait until it's on the road!!

The engine sits perfectly in the bay, note the rad shroud which has been cut down to fit width wise, and end caps made.

So what do you all think so far ? I am very happy and it's taking shape well. As soon as I get it home I'll be making a trans hump for inside the cab and mounting the Expo steering column and a figuring out a break pedal setup. Then I'll blow it all apart for blasting and primer.

The complete mockup.

Wheels nicely centered. It sits very high at the front - the suspension is topped out even with the bodywork on, torsion bars from either an 01+ Ranger 4x4 or a 2 dr 2wd Expo should help. That and a torsion flip should sit it down.

http://lh6.google.com/stragedy/RnwBnqXrjnI/AAAAAAAAAxk/Uag6_CD8Qgc/s800/truck_done 014.jpg

Cab roughed in now, ready for bodywork and paint.

Beautiful! Love the pink highlights!

Honestly, I can't wait to see how it progresses, it is looking great. Looks like the chassis and 5.0 are right at home.

The fingers tapping thing is just hilarious. I am tapping my fingers at this end too, waiting to be paid enough to move forward sucks.
I could be going up there and working on it where it is but it's an hours drive and there isn't too much I can do remotely.
The wiring is going to be fun, I've got to string it and find places for everything...ack.

I'll get some better pics soon, those were taken in a hurry at night. It LOOKS AWESOME.

Nice! Awesome project!! :thumbsup:

Gorgeous. Can't wait to see the final product! Although wiring is gonna be tons of fun :rolleyes:

This looks like it's gonna be wonderfully "old skool" with a touch of "modern niceties" thrown in, nice! :) It's a great idea & I, like everyone else,(and you too, I'm sure) am dying to see this project finished :):)

:D :thumbsup: that looks sweet! :) bet it feels good to be as far as you are. cant what to see it all painted. keep up the good work.

Great progress! How much of the dash wiring will you use? Can you do the firewall and AC box, that would be nice? Let me know if I might help with the wiring, I still have extra harnesses with wires missing. Good luck,

Looking good! You'll prolly have a hell of a time useing the stock HVAC box, I ran into that with the stang. I got the under dash unit and controls from a 95 t-bird.....

Stock HVAC box will not fit, no way no how - I plan on building a fiberglass one using the existing core and controls so I can use the Electronic climate control from the Limited (I really wan this, I've never had a car with auto climate).

The truck is now safely back home after much sweating and grunting by my best friend Sean my wife Reba and our budy Drew. I mostly poked about and helped where I could since I still have a busted leg.

I do need help from you forums goers though - can someone measure the installed length of their shocks for me ? Preferably without a torsion twist or bolt drop. I did have this figure written down but lost the piece of paper I scribbled it on.
I'd prefer the installed length of the shock (as opposed to ride height etc)because I need to reset mine to stock height at both ends to finalize running board position - and there isn't really enough stock bits left on mine to measure, except the shocks.

Well being AWD I would set the ride height with the front axles and lower control arms. Ideally you'd like the axles to be level, their lifespan becomes shorter as they are moved away from horizontal.

There are hundreds of Explorers though which have those axles angled a good bit from level. It would take more than a couple of inches up or down to really affect that reliability. Start with being level as ideal, and adjust for your needs based on looks etc. My 98 truck is almost two inches lower in front than if the axles were made level. Regards,

hey did you ever get rid of those v-8 badges?

V8 badges ? Nope still got them, someone asked for them but I PM'd them and they never replied. They're yours if you pay postage and I can find them....and you meassure your shock lengths (if they're set up stock)

CDW - I know I can set the suspension up however I want, I just want a starting point to see how the lighter weight of the truck has changed things.
Just now I backed the adjuster bolts right out, the front end came down about 3 or 4 inches, more than I was expecting. Right now the front running boards are sitting at 7.5 inches off the ground without it having been driven obviously since the bolts came out.
I will be happy with a ride height of anywhere between 6 and 7 inches - remember I want to drive this every day eventually, so it must clear speed bumps. Also I can still throw some air bags in if I want to go silly.

I figure if I did an TT thing thing would sit around 4 to 5 inches, which will be cool for pictures :D
Not sure yet if it'll lay out at a full drop, but it'll go close.

Pictures tomorrow in the light.

What kind of front tires do you have, can you test drive it a mile or so? I'd test it at a height that you might want, then check it on level ground. Play with the height until you can settle for it there, then get an alignment. Have you already installed camber washers, you will need them to gain proper camber specs?

If you need a lower height, you can get lowering keys, I bought a pair recently for $90 from Total Performance. I have one stock key flipped, and with rebuilding my suspension, I want to have two keys in it seated correctly. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It can't be driven, there is no steering column or brake pedal setup yet.
That and the wiring loom is under a bench in my garage.

I am not too worried about final ride height, I know I set it where ever I want. I just want to know where stock is so I can see if I am up or down from that and see what the weight change has done to things.

Tires are 235/65's for now on factory steelies, basically the 16x7 spare the Expo had and some others from a 2000 Crown Vic cop car.

Back