brianjwilson: January '08 Featured Truck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

brianjwilson: January '08 Featured Truck

Featured_Jan08.jpg

Well I've been sort of a lurker here for a while with my Ranger, but I just picked up an 05 sport trac a few days ago, so I thought I would introduce myself. :D
I've been over at offroadrangers.com for a few years with my 98 Ranger.
The ranger is an XLT Supercab 4x4 4.0L manual tranny with a 3" body lift, TT, shackles, bilstiens, manual hubs, moog upper and lower balljoints and tierod ends, custom bumper, canopy, 15x8's and 33x12.50's. She has been a great truck (140k miles now) and now I'm replacing her with the Sport Trac. I'll be very said to see the Ranger go away. :(
My wife drives a 97 Explorer XLT 4.0L 4x4 auto, fully loaded on 31x10.50's with around 107k miles on it.
The Sport Trac is a 2005 XLT 4x4, standard options (cloth, a/c, cd, tilt, cruise, power stuff, fog lights). All I have done so far is install a Pioneer CD/mp3 player, and tint the windows (13% driver and passenger, 6% everything behind that). My plans are a 3" bodylift (was supposed to arrive today) with 33x12.50's on 15x8's, 4.56 gears with a locker perhaps, and an xcal2 from doug and bama or rouge performance.
My wife and I live outside the Portland Oregon area. She's finishing up her bachelor in Psychology and I'm a helicopter flight instructor. I like to tinker with stuff (wiring and radios too) and makes my trucks/bikes a little different from the others around. I look forward to picking up new ideas from the people on here and sharing some of my own. Let me share a few pictures of our trucks...

The 97 Explorer; (now has M/T's)
ex1.jpg

And finally the new (to me) Sport Trac;
new1.jpg

new8.jpg

Here's a quick sample :D
No body lift yet, just a test fit for the wheels :rolleyes:

fit5.jpg

fit2.jpg

fit1.jpg

fit3.jpg

Snapped a few quick pictures of the sport trac. Worked all weekend on the body lift (what a pain some of that was!), put the wheels and tires on today. Had to trim a fair amount of plastic in the front wheel wells but all seems clear now!
So far;
3" body lift
33x12.50 cooper stt's on 15x8's
Warrior front and rear sway bar disconnects
Window tint & Ventshades
A.R.E. fiberglass bed cover (great deal, used)
Aussie locker for the rear (not yet installed)
Still contemplating the Camburg "4x4" upgrade" and front and rear hitches
Soon ordering an xcal 2 tuner from rouge performance
I have Warrior shackles, but it looks like it needs a torsion bar adjustment just to sit level. Maybe the shackles will go on the wife's Explorer...

lift1.jpg

lift2.jpg

lift3.jpg

lift4.jpg

lift5.jpg

Here's the trimming. No before photos. There is some metal removed (just did it) so it needs a little cleaning, but you get the idea.

trim1.jpg

trim2.jpg

trim3.jpg

Oh and here are a couple of the swaybar discos..
Front
disco1.jpg

Rear (link removed)

disco2.jpg

I already bought an xcal2 from james, thanks! Works great. I can adjust for axle ratios, tire size and a bunch of other stuff that I don't understand ;) . Definitely helped performance a bit and improved shifting.

I disconnect the swaybars for a smoother ride and more wheel travel (see pictures). I've been leaving the rear disconnected and the front on most of the time.
The truck is a four wheel drive. I ordered the bodylift, swaybar disconnects and the shackles from tellico4x4.com. I actually just took off the front quick disconnects and put the stock end links back on, I didn't like the design of the disconnects so I'm going to through them back on ebay or something. I find its actually easier to just carry a 16mm and 15mm socket and remove one endlink.
I haven't installed the shackles yet. I might use them on my wifes explorer.

Sway bars disconnected;
flex1.jpg

flex2.jpg

flex4.jpg

flex5.jpg

Info threads:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194747
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195855
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196263

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...congrats brian...:thumbsup:...:D

...psssst, froader....it's '08....:D

nice sport trac u got there brianjwilson

Congrats on being the first 08 feature truck!

(psst, froader, that was fast)

Nice truck man!

Sweet! Thanks Froader for informing me! lol

Thanks everyone for the compliments too :D
Since this is officially my "show off" thread, here are a couple of recent pictures. :thumbsup:

07snow4.jpg

browns2.jpg

browns4.jpg

sl1.jpg

Everybody loves snow and sand pictures, good choices:thumbsup:

...i still like your ranger best....:p:

I miss the ranger too!
Truly a sad day when I watched someone else drive it away :(
rf.jpg

r8.jpg

sideshot.jpg

I had never seen your ranger before. I really like it, it looks awesome!

What one do you wheel more, the ST, or the ranger?

Awesome truck. Congrats!

I sold the ranger a few months ago, shortly after I bought the Sport Trac. It was paid off, had about 145k miles, so the sport trac is the replacement. Still ran and drove awsome when I sold it. But I sold it to buy stuff for the sport trac.
I used to wheel the ranger more I think, but I had more free time. The sport trac has seen a lot of wheeling in the last few weeks though.
Sure wish I had money to keep both. The plan was always to SAS the ranger, but I just don't have the time, money, or space for it.

By the way, any plans to put lights up top on the roof rack? I think 4 up there would look great. Really sharp looking truck, especially that first snow shot, amazing.

I have 4 - 8" round Delta foglights in black casings with 130 watt bulbs sitting in the garage.
I haven't mounted them yet, because I always hit trees and stuff with my rack as it is, don't want to break the lights. So I'm trying to figure out an easy way to make the lights tilt back out of the way before I wire them up. Then I'll run a cheap small rectangle fog light on each side (facing sideways) and two on the back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now those are some seeeerious pics! Great job!

Back