Cam position sensor questions... | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cam position sensor questions...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just tried to change mine. it did not just pull out, I had to break it free with a big wrench. I bought the "new" china made part from NAPA ...it did not fit, the hex drive for the oil pump is a different size. I sprayed the old one down with brake parts cleaner until it stopped chirping then gave it a coat of silicone and put it back in.I'll return the napa part tomorrow and see what they say, I may just wait until it starts chirping again before I change it .

edit; one more thing I couldn't find any timing marks on my balancer,nor a pointer.there was writing however "BTDC" that was all I could read the rest was obscured buy the water pump pulley, but according to the little tool that came with the part I was there.

two more from napa and they were all to short. The p/n cast into the synchronizer dose not exist according to the computer at the ford dealership.NAPA is ordering me a couple of more for different 302 applications, they have been very helpful. the dealership said they can get one for $225, no sensor no guarantee of fit, nothing on this truck fits the parts catalog.

Has anybody heard of a company called New Distributors? I stopped at the local O'reilly store and there dorman # is superceding to this company. Just want to know if anybody has heard of them or used there unit before.

thanks
ryan

never heard of them,I ended up going with a rebuilt unit from napa. O'rielies could not compete on price and had the same brands.

Hazmat try searching for parts for a 96 V8 and compare those

It is interesting that you have not been able to get the correct sensor, I have been working with the CPS over the last few weeks in a 98 and a 99 5.0L explorer engine

I have had the CPS in and out 5 times!! LOL I can now tell you the differences between a 96 sensor, a 97, 98, and 99 body and sensor by looking at them

The 96-98 parts should be IDENTICAL, they are the same depth, same 2 wire sensor, same drive gear.

the change in the 5.0L CPS sensors did not occur until 1999, and then the only change is the size of the "flag" that spins on top of the unit, the 1999 sensor is also different and uses only 2 wires

all of them have the same FORD part number on the shaft body, side of the housing.

I was wondering how they can have the same part number when the rotating flag assembly changes in 99, but there is no denying it when I have a 96, a 97, a 98 and a 99 sensor in my hands

I have a spare 97 and 99 unit, but I've misplaced the 98 part I had put aside. I almost installed a NAPA unit until reading of people having the pin shear from the lower gear. I took that back and bought the Ford synchronizer. Now I need to find my spare 97 part to use the sensor, it's lower mileage than my original part.

Don't skimp on these parts, they need to be the best.

I have a spare 97 and 99 unit, but I've misplaced the 98 part I had put aside. I almost installed a NAPA unit until reading of people having the pin shear from the lower gear. I took that back and bought the Ford synchronizer. Now I need to find my spare 97 part to use the sensor, it's lower mileage than my original part.

Don't skimp on these parts, they need to be the best.

How much did you end up paying for the unit from Ford? Does it come with the cam sensor?

thanks
Ryan

That was why I didn't buy it before, the retail Ford price is near $150. That doesn't include the sensor or a tool, which is why the NAPA part sounds so good.

I looked at the roll pin of the NAPA sourced part carefully. The pin is far weaker than the stock Ford part. The hole through it is much larger, it looked fragile and easy to shear.

Buy the synchronizer from an online source, that way you get a price around $105. I'm going to use a Ford sensor from a low mileage engine that I bought long ago. I'd agree with other's here about the sensor, that will be hit or miss with aftermarket parts. They are cheaper but pay attention to how they do, be suspicious.

Why not just find a stronger roll pin and change it out? Any hardware store should have a good selection of roll pins I would think.

That could be an option, and hopefully the shaft hole diameter is the same. I only was after the synchronizer really for the bearings. My engine may be a 200k full life engine, it's smart to put the best parts into a keeper.

That could be an option, and hopefully the shaft hole diameter is the same. I only was after the synchronizer really for the bearings. My engine may be a 200k full life engine, it's smart to put the best parts into a keeper.

mine didn't have any bearings just a bushing or sleeve that got built up with oil and sludge and caused a squeek it probably would have been fine if I had taken it apart and cleaned it up.

Ah, see that's the only time I've had a distributor fail, the bearings went or seized up.

97 Explorer AWD V8

What are the chances that getting the camshaft position sensor running again will solve my transmission problems?

It will make every shift for a week and then suddenly, the next day, it will miss every shift, meaning that I need to rev the engine and then lay off the gas and the truck shifts from 1st to 2nd...

Thanks!

p.s. I looked, my sensor magnet disintegrated and mashed the fin so I know I need to replace the entire synch assembly.

What are the chances that getting the camshaft position sensor running again will solve my transmission problems?

It will make every shift for a week and then suddenly, the next day, it will miss every shift, meaning that I need to rev the engine and then lay off the gas and the truck shifts from 1st to 2nd...

Thanks!

p.s. I looked, my sensor magnet disintegrated and mashed the fin so I know I need to replace the entire synch assembly.

next to nothing, the trans has no idea what the cam sensor is doing they are two seperate systems

What's up with AAMCO?

next to nothing, the trans has no idea what the cam sensor is doing they are two seperate systems

Thanks for the reply. My PCM is throwing two codes, one for the Oxygen sensor and one for the cam position sensor. Any idea why AAMCO wants to diagnose these two before getting to my transmission issues?

Thanks for the reply. My PCM is throwing two codes, one for the Oxygen sensor and one for the cam position sensor. Any idea why AAMCO wants to diagnose these two before getting to my transmission issues?

Maybe they assume these are throwing off the functionality of the TPS, which has everything to do with shift points and such.

the 02 sensor wiring is included in the transmission wiring bundle?

thats about all I can think of?
what 92 sensor is in question and what is the code?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish it was simple!

the 02 sensor wiring is included in the transmission wiring bundle?

thats about all I can think of?
what 92 sensor is in question and what is the code?

I don't remember him saying the actual, code. He suggested there might be four O2 sensors, and that it is rare those before the catalytic go bad so he would replace the two after and then wait and see if they are "talking" to the two before.

He didn't have time to do more than plug his computer in. He said the CPS was behind the engine so he hadn't seen it. He could get to me in a week or so.

Since I already knew the sensor was on top of the engine, near the front, I picked up a CPS on the way home, (transmission didn't miss a single shift). Figured for thirty bucks I'd just replace the sensor myself. Ah, the magnet is shreaded and the fin is mushed.

Back