colindo94 fullwidth swap | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

colindo94 fullwidth swap

Well it's about time to start collecting the parts I need for the swap. I wiil be using a Dana 44 front axle and a fullsize 8.8" rear end from a 89 fullsize bronco. please give me any kind of insight on what I plan to use. All commentary is wanted:)

Edited with final parts
Dana 44 from 76 f-150
-78-79 coil spring towers spaced out with 3x4 steel
-Wildhorse crawler 5.5" coil springs.
-F-250 shock towers
-5.13 Yukon ring and pinion
-Master overall kit.
-Warn primium hubs.
-Cage offroad radius arms.
-78-79 stock tie rod
-Explorer stock drag link
-custom trackbar with heims. Bottom heim is a 3/4" heim and top is a 5/8" heim with 1.5" .25 wall DOM.
-Stock 76 f-150 trackbar bracket welded to a 3/16" plate of steel.
-7* C bushing kit.
-Bilstein 14" travel 5100 shocks
-Open Differential for now
-Timkin wheel bearings and seals.
-All new disk brakes and custom stainless steel brakelines

Fullwidth 8.8 from a 88 bronco
-5.13 Yukon ring and pinion
-Master install kit.
-weld on spring perches/ u bolts/ shock mounts. mountainoffroad.com
-custom shackles that are the same length of warrior shackles.
-skyjacker Add-a-leaf
-Lockright
-new drums with stock fullsize bronco e-brake cables and custom frame bracket.
-skyjacker extended brakeline for explorer.
-extended diveshaft with 1310/1330r basterd u-joint.

Wheels and tires
-36x12.5" TSL Radials
-15x8" black steel rockcrawler wheels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like it to be a couple degrees higher. Might end up changing it

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Did you order your cage arms through J&M Offroad? If you did you may want to call Cage offroad and see if they got your order or not. I just sent J&M offroad a very nastygram.

I ordered mine from J&M through Ebay and it took forever to get them. Gave me some excuse about Cage being at the Easter Jeep Safari and crap. I was seriously about a month before i got them. I did get my shipping refunded and i got a shirt from Cage :D

Yes I ordered mine through ebay also. I called the guy early this week and they told me that the hiems were on backorder and they wouldn't be sent out until wen. I figured they were sent out two days ago, but now you got me all scared. I will be sure to call monday. Thanks for the heads up.

No problem. He has excellent feedback. I didn't leave him a feedback and he didn't leave me any. I was going to leave a nasty negative, but since he doesn't keep the things in stock it is kind of out of his control. At least he tried to make it right with me.

I talked with the guy and here is his response
"Hi Joseph this is Mike with J&M Offroad. I will normally wait to place an order when it is on back order in case we have to give a refund. It makes it a little easier. I do have a few orders waiting. Jason is going to contact me as soon as the rod ends come in. And they should be shipped that day. Thanks and have a great weekend"

So they should ship on Tuesday

That sucks! I'm in Maryland for the week, but I want the arms to be there when I get home so I can finish. I'm starten to get frustrated. I HATE WAITING ON PARTS!!!!!!

Well like I said I'm away from home for a week and a bit board so I have been doing a little research. I was wondering about the height I should mount my coil buckets. I figure spacing them 3" out should be the right width, but not sure on height now. I have an add-a-leaf and 1" lift shackles in the rear. About how far down should I mount the coil buckets. I like the set up ID used in his thread, but I can only mount them 3.5" down at the most with that set up. Any suggestions?

I have a quick question for all you guys that have done the SAS before. My pitman arm is hitting the track bar. when I'm turned all the way. It's a stock pitman arm and the draglink is also stock explorer drag link. The track bar is a superlift ajustable. I flipped it around so the bend is toward the back of the truck and now it doesn't hit, but I've been looking and have found that this is the improper way of putting on the track bar. Any sugesstions.

Well I've made a lot of progress since I last posted. I've been working so hard I havn't really took the time to update my tread.
The radius arms came in and I got those in place with the 7* bushings and coil seats. I hade to put a pice of 1/4" plate benieth the coil seats because they wern't sitting right on the radius arms. The bump in the coil seat fo the coil to sit properly wasn't allowing the seat to fit properly.
I also got the coil buchets welded up. I didn't get any pics of them before they were mounted, But they look real close to how ld did his. I then mounted both buckets to the frame with 5 grade 8 bolts. O and I chope about 4.5" off the coil buckets to get the desired lift I wanted. They are spaced out with 3" blockes of steal.

Here is before the coil buckets are mounted and everything is just mocked in place.
SAS_pics_0051.jpg

SAS_pics_0021.jpg

Then I had to figure out how to mount the coil buckets. I bolted 4 bolts through the side of the frame on the back piece of the spacer. Then one bolt through the bottom of the frame with a slotted whole like ld did.
SAS_pics_010.jpg

The next step was to attach the radius arm mounts to the frame. I figured my wheel base by tacking a few measurements and while the axle was hanging on the coils I figured where I wanted to put the radius arm mount on the frame. I measured frome the body mounts to make sure they would be the same on both sides. It ended up being right where the frame angles out so I used a 6* leaf shim to make the angle right(BMXking's idea). Then bolted 4 bolts through the side of the frame and one through the bottom.
SAS_pics_007.jpg

O yea and cage didn't package the misalignment spacers for the heim.

I used the stock dragling for the steering and here is the trackbar mount
SAS_pics_006.jpg

Its only bolted with a steel plate, but it will be welded soon to the frame.
I like how the mount came out, but The draglink/pitman arm hits the trackbar. I tried to flip the trackbar around with the bend towards the rear of the truck, but then it really hits the crossmember. I'm thinking I'll get a streight draglink with heims on both ends, but not sure yet, Any suggestions?

Here are a few more. Please comment on anything that may be an issue or not. I'm in a pretty big rush to finish for the Norcal cage building party.
SAS_pics_012.jpg

SAS_pics_0032.jpg

SAS_pics_008.jpg

SAS_pics_015.jpg

What do you all do for front driveshaft? mine may be short.

make one...it dosent have to be straight or balanced since its the front.

Yea a square one would be cool:)

ya, cut the ends off your old driveshaft and get 2.5" and 2" square 1/4 wall. If your steel supplier has 2.5" reciecver hitch tube, get that instead. It already has the weld seam removed.

if you cant get it you will need to grind a notch in the 2" so they sleeve together.

the old ends fit in the tube perfectly

Did you contact cage about the missing frame bracket spacers?, mine were also missing I sent them a email and received them the next day.

What did you use to account for the drivers side "hump" while mounting your buckets? Wondering how you did it. I have a spacer built but I'm afraid it's gonna need some reworking. I don't think it fits tight enough to the frame.

DSC00484.JPG

I saw you asking about the engine crossmember. I am deffinitly going to have to trim mine, but i'm looking for 6" or less of total lift (gonna be low and slow hehe). It looks like you have quite abit of room, LOTS more than I do. To make sure though cycle the suspension and see if it hits.

Back