Demo1986 first build: Project AT-AT | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Demo1986 first build: Project AT-AT

hello everyone i've been on this site for awhile and slowly have been saving money and building my project. i had an 01 ford ranger 2wd that i started to build with the little knowledge that i had. the ranger wasnt much in performance but looked kool. the more i hung out in forums and went to meets in the desert i started to learn more and i figured out what i wanted.

i wanted a truck i can hit over 45 in the desert and when ever i went to trails i would switch to 4wd and have fun there too. so i sold my ranger and bought me a 4wd ranger so i can start the build. BUT i hated the fact i would only fit 2 ppl in it and i also didnt want to be another desert ranger so i sold that ranger (and made a profit) and i bought myself a 2002 sport trac 4wd with all the goodies and with 43,000 miles on it. for a steal!!

after 2 years of saving and playing musical trucks i finally bought this:
-Dixon 4x4 LT Kit
-Tubular upper control arms, with bushings and balljoints installed
-Boxed plate lower control arms with bushings and balljoints installed
-Shock hoop with crossbar
-Complete front axles with custom length heat treated shafts and high angle 930
CVs
-Steering Tie-rod Extension
-Brake lines, Limit straps, bolt kit
-Dixon cross member(aaron threw that in for free)
-Fox 2.5x8 coil overs
-Deavers G50E
-Mcneil 6" fenders for the front and 3" for rear

what i need to get:
-Fox 2.0x10 bypasses for the rear(in stock location for now)
-15" pro comp 1079
-33's or 35's good year mtr's

all the ordered parts should be in my hands early next week. aaron doesnt have the axles for the front so ill be 2wd till he gets the axles. i am also saving for the Dixon cantilever for the future.
46784a87.jpg
07b64cb0.jpg

i really want to run 35's but they might rub on the inner fender and i should probably run 33's does anyone have issues like this?

also i want to know if anyone have used the camburg upper arm heavy duty brakets and if i should install them while i have it apart.

i will post picks as soon as i have my parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks guys. That is a problem down here and I have several snap shots of posts on forums where guys are looking for a solution. It's all on the website.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sweet video man, looks like you had a blast. That suspension was definitely getting cycled hard over those whoops.

There were harsher whoop sections that really beat on the truck but did very well. On the whoops on this video I was doing about 50mph

Slowest drag race ever!

I should have sped it up 10x, we would of looked like TT racers haha

It's all good, the little 4.slow is hard chugging in the sand. Looked like fun though. I've been working on a temporary set of 4x4 axles for the ST. Should be wrapping them up soon. Just need something for this winter.

The 4.0 and my tranny were definitely hurting out there in the dunes.

I'm getting axels before the end of the December. You know the shop that bought DBR, I'm just going to fork over the money. We've been going back and forth so I'm pulling the trigger.

Demo,
Nice build! Man I miss the dunes out west!

I hear you on the axles. I don't have the cash right now, but as soon as I do I'll be ordering a set as well. But mine should work as a temporary fix for now

Thanks Evin.

If you just need 4wd for the season I would just extend the stock shafts (with heavy schedule tubing or solid rod) and strap it at 11" of travel. That's if you're just going to be driving.

We don't see snow here and since I paid so much for my kit I rather buy what I need left to complete it. If I was going to 2wd I would have ordered a 17"+ travel kit from Camburg or something.

I'm actually extending the solid shaft and sleevimg them with DOM tubing. Like I said this is just temporary and I had an extra set of new complete axles so... Why not?

I'll get a legit set next summer hopefully.

That's a good plan since you won't me "prerunning" in the snow! Haha

I ordered my extended axles yesterday and will arrive next week. Once I install them I'm going to my local (1.5 hr drive) 4x4 park for some testing!

Sport Trac

Nice truck!
Man you got some air with that thing.
You got all 4 wheels off the ground, I only got 2 off the ground in my supercharged 2 door explorer.
Very nice!

Thanks bud. This thing was a blast at the dunes and I'm very impressed with the Duratracs they never got stuck. I'll be upping my springs to 700#, trimming the bumper, installing my extended cv's sitting in my living room, and rebuilding my coilovers. All before truck haven!

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0055-1.jpg

I like the bumper! You should have done that years ago. Coming to cal city with this thing in a few weeks?

And just realized you ditched the bug guard too. So much better!

Thanks Matt. No I won't be making it to cal city as I initially planned. I'm pretty bummed about it but it at least gives me extra time to repair my ST.

Your ST looks good. It looks like you need to drop your bump stops a little lower so at full bump your don't hit your 'glass.

Can't wait to see more pics.

Back