fitting 35's on a 2000 - Jefe | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fitting 35's on a 2000 - Jefe

Many people have asked just how much I had to trim to fit 35x12.5's on my new model explorer when I only had ~4.5" of lift.

I figure a picture is worth a thousand words so:

Front End:

35_Pic001.jpg

Red arrow indicates start of modification. By the bottom I think 3-3.5" are removed from stock.

35_Pic002.jpg

Red arrow showing where I removed pinch weld

35_Pic003.jpg

Bumper modifications. Bolts are holding plastic to the metal 'frame'

35_Pic004.jpg

Rear End:

35_Pic006.jpg

Red arrows showing where I bent the metal edges away from the tire

35_Pic007.jpg

Rear trim modifications

35_Pic008.jpg

With this current setup I have eliminated all audible rubbing with the exception of when I stuff a front tire all the way up. Then its only very minor, and not very often. In the rear it still touches the front of the wheel well but I don't want to cut that for fear it will look bad. The rear also touches the top of the inner well at full stuff

A Detailed How To:

Step 1: buy old 35" tires, mount tires, 'hack' away at where you KNOW it will rub.

Step 2: take offroad, flex, etc . . . making notes of where the current tires rub

Step 3: mark with tape where it still rubs and accomidate for more tread on new tires.

Step 4: Trimming:

A: Front:

Fenders
For the fenders I taped where I wanted the new fold, removed from vehicle and used a jigsaw, sawzall, hacksaw, and whatever else I could find :)shoot: :hammer: ;)) . . .leaving an inch of 'unwanted' metal to create a new fold. I then used vise-grips and folded the remaining metal over.

I then used a sawzall on the pinch weld, and welded the fresh cut back up (no negative effects so far :))

Remount fenders

Bumper
Mark bumper with tape. Remove bumper, drill out rivets drilling through bumper. Install bolt washers and nut where rivet was. Cut bumper along tape with circular saw (makes for a straighter edge) or sawzall.

B: Rear:

Remove tire. Take a BFH :hammer: to any metal causing rubbing.

Mark rear trim with tape. Remove rear trim (two nuts, two 'push-pins', and three plastic 'clips') Take sawzall to metal beneath trim. Use jigsaw/circular saw on trim. Replace trim.

Step 5: Test offroad, flex, etc. Note rubbing. Repeat any necessary steps from above.

Step 6: Spend your months salary on tires. mount tires. Take offroad. Flinch and :fire: and curse :frustrate as you tear up your new investment in tires because they rub. . .:D Note rubbing. Repeat any necessary steps from above. (Note: I wouldn't suggest repeating any of step 6 :p)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I filled the holes with 3/8" "push-pin" type plugs. Took me a few weeks of buying everyone of them in stock at every auto parts store until I had enough . . :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cool. how many are there to be exact? and what was in the holes in the first place?

The holes are where the tupperware is fastened to the body. There are something like 19 per side on a 4 door :eek:

hey Jefe have you ever thought about puttin Perry's fenders on your rig? im pretty sure (due to threads on here) that they will fit on your 2000. oh and how did you put your lights on the stock roof rack cross bars?

For the light bar question, see this thread:
Dead Link Removed

I know Perry's fenders will fit on my truck. I, personally, Hate the prerunner look on an SUV. Therefore I will never put 'glass on my rig.

When I took off my tupperware (sold it to a guy on this site after I dug it out of the trash), I used some of that instant insulation foam spray to fill in the rocker by squirting it in the holes. Then I used some of that bathroom no slip tape that looks like rhino lining, put a strip along the bottom of the rocker to cover the holes. Looks great and it was cheap. Been like that 2 years now with no problems.

I'm with you Jefe, don't like the look of the fiberglass fenders either.

call me a newb..but whats all this tupperware buisness?

newbie!! Just kidding.....

Tupperware as defined by this forum, is anything plastic attached to your running boards or metal bumpers that will get in the way when wheeling.side skirts, running boards, what have you....

call me a newb..but wuts all this tupperware talk?

haha crap i dont kno why that poste three times!!..oops..but thanks..thats what i had figured but i thought i'd ask..i got runningboards and that dang plastic up in the wells...when trimming the fenders back to get some mor clearence for my tires..do yall think id hav to get ridda the "tupperware" all toghether..do u suggest it or against it?

or u could just remove all the tupperware and herc the rockers enough times till the holes are filled in.....just don't get any on your Hootus tho!! :D

jefe?..wut'd u put in them tupperware holes? and why? a buildup preventitive? orrr?

ExporeRanger said:
jefe?..wut'd u put in them tupperware holes? and why? a buildup preventitive? orrr?
Read the thread!
Jefe said:
I filled the holes with 3/8" "push-pin" type plugs. Took me a few weeks of buying everyone of them in stock at every auto parts store until I had enough . . :)
I did it for looks mostly

I want to lift my 2000 xls but I can't find a kit anywhere. I don't have $3000.09 for the superlift kit that's made for the truck or I would use that. I was wondering if you knew where I could find a kit for a little less change I only want to lift it 2-3" one more question will my stock ride fit 31" tires ??

Idk about you guys but I've got a 99 explorer fit 31's stock trimmed the front bumper so tires wouldn't rub but driver's front would come up and just touch so I had a 3 inch ranger lift put in so I'm assuming 35's would almost hit the top not quite but I'm doing the 1.5 inch torsion as well and a 3 inch shackle lift in the back I know I'llhave to trim the running boards and front bnumber again but I'm hopingto not touch any part of the fenders not that the one iisn't smashed already lol Iguess tthat'swhat happens when they roll over but then iI'm hoping to get all new shocks including coil overseas in the rear and then 2 inch spacers p.s I just had the machined crush black and chrome wheels ordered in with 35x12.5r15's in the cooper discoverer stt pro's

Back