FORScan "power point timeout" - FYI | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FORScan "power point timeout" - FYI

blob19

Reaction score
City, State
Midwest
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Interceptor Utility
It may be obvious to some, but I went ahead and tested and confirmed:

The settings @ FORScan 2011-2018 Explorers under the tab "Powerpoint Timeout" (BCM: 726-39-01 AAAA BBBB CCCC), the "AAAA" is completely customizable - not just the 6 options listed on the spreadsheet. The value for these bytes in the AAAA position is the hexadecimal representation of seconds that you want the accessory power to stay on after the key is turned off.

For example, I wanted mine to stay on for 3 hours for a bit of parked dash cam recording, so to convert 3 hours into seconds: 3h * 60m * 60s = 10800. 10800 decimal converted to hexadecimal (Decimal to Hex converter | number conversion) is 2A30. I set AAAA to 2A30, and confirmed that the accessory power indeed stays on for 3 hours after I turn the key off. This effects the front 12 volt outlets, and I believe the overhead red+white LED dome light.

The map lights and cargo light are on a different timer which I'm not sure how to configure, but it appears to be a 10 minute timeout.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It may be obvious to some, but I went ahead and tested and confirmed:

The settings @ FORScan 2011-2018 Explorers under the tab "Powerpoint Timeout" (BCM: 726-39-01 AAAA BBBB CCCC), the "AAAA" is completely customizable - not just the 6 options listed on the spreadsheet. The value for these bytes in the AAAA position is the hexadecimal representation of seconds that you want the accessory power to stay on after the key is turned off.

For example, I wanted mine to stay on for 3 hours for a bit of parked dash cam recording, so to convert 3 hours into seconds: 3h * 60m * 60s = 10800. 10800 decimal converted to hexadecimal (Decimal to Hex converter | number conversion) is 2A30. I set AAAA to 2A30, and confirmed that the accessory power indeed stays on for 3 hours after I turn the key off. This effects the front 12 volt outlets, and I believe the overhead red+white LED dome light.

The map lights and cargo light are on a different timer which I'm not sure how to configure, but it appears to be a 10 minute timeout.
The vehicle's Power Saver feature turns off all lights except the parking lights after 10 minutes.

Peter

Thanks Peter, that is interesting. I wonder if the number of minutes for the Power Saver feature can be configured using FORScan.

Another factiod I found is that you can turn on accessory power without the key present by turning the radio on. Turning the radio back off does not bypass the Power Point Timeout, though. I am curious if there is some way to force the accessory power off on-demand without waiting for the timeout. I tried holding the radio power button for extended lengths of time, but to no avail.

And further still (sorry, I'm getting really nerdy into this :D) I tested the over-head tailgate unlock button in this state of accessory power on but no key present, and the unlock button did not work.

Thanks Peter, that is interesting. I wonder if the number of minutes for the Power Saver feature can be configured using FORScan.

Another factiod I found is that you can turn on accessory power without the key present by turning the radio on. Turning the radio back off does not bypass the Power Point Timeout, though. I am curious if there is some way to force the accessory power off on-demand without waiting for the timeout. I tried holding the radio power button for extended lengths of time, but to no avail.

And further still (sorry, I'm getting really nerdy into this :D) I tested the over-head tailgate unlock button in this state of accessory power on but no key present, and the unlock button did not work.
I don't know if all the PIU features mirror the retail ones but yes, the radio can be turned ON without the key present or without the accessory mode. When you use the radio ON/OFF button then the radio goes into Extended Play and will stay on for 30 - 40 minutes. The visor buttons also always have power going to them.

Peter

My experience is same as blob - overhead console button for liftgate timer on PIU only works with key on. Only way to activate liftgate timer without key on is via key fob.

I think you have already converted decimal to hex and now you need to overhead console button. You can activate it by a key fob.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I think something is missing here, "you need to overhead console button."

Peter

Back