Glen's 96 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Glen's 96 XLT

This is my 96 Explorer D.D. slow moving project, was bought in September of 07. XLT model which is like XLS model, power windows/mirrors and that's it.

Mods:
Removed the running boards
Brown-Wire-mod but have swapped in a 97 GEM so I don't drain my battery anymore. And have disconnected the plug under my hood to have a "live" axle type setup for now until a locker is installed and until I decide when to put a manual t-case in. (manual case in now) 4-29-11
33" tires
4.88 G2 Gears
Swapped in different hvac controls.

Sony Headunit
Boss 1200W Class D Mono Amp
Pioneer 12" 1200W Sub for a little bass

I plan to have it a little more off-road capable nothing extreme just enough to be able to tackle some descent trails and be a descent truck on the highway.

Here she is. :)
DSCN0500.jpg

DSCN0499.jpg

DSCN0501.jpg

DSCN0502.jpg

^2nd day of having it, she looked good.
96onrock2.jpg

^3rd Day of ownership, wanted a good picture shot.
leather1.jpg

leather2.jpg

console1.jpg

And Put A Forum Decal On The Tailgate Need To Order A Couple More
explorer4x4decal.jpg

Well today 3/9/10 is a really nice day so decided to finally remove that bumper valance so it looks better and gives a better approach.
Explorerwoutvalance.jpg

3/25/10 Decided to lift it a little.
S7301951.jpg

I finally had enough of the blue bezel and only did that temporarily and never replaced or repainted and its not a ricer so I decided I wanted black again (for now) so went to the junk yard and got a 99XL bezel so that the 4wd panel matched what it actually is now 6/4/10
dash.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Added the new addition pics.

Updated but not much has changed.

Yea...she's beggin to be lifted but...once I got back to working we been playing "catch up" with bills.

Well the old lady, the little one and I went for a mountain ride today and came upon a trail that was supposedly suppose to go to an overlook and at the beginning stated 4X4 vehicles only, and we found out why. The trail was very very rocky and took some eye balling to make sure I approached them right and was lots of fun but now the lower ball joints need replaced again and were done a year ago so....guess its time to try MOOG and see how well they hold up. And a J**per gave me some looks but now I'm going to keep an eye on CL for some good 33's and 4.10 axles for the Ex and get this old girl a little farther up.

Cleaned up and new rockers/dog legs, looks much better than it did before so it cleans up well once again.

0214111110.jpg

0214111114a.jpg

Looking good Glen! :thumbsup:

Did you do the rockers and doglegs yourself?

No, I don't have that kinda skill lol. I had a local shop do it for $425.00 They did good work.

Lookin good! How's the green Explorer, rust-wise?

Has some rocker rust, will probably take it to the same shop eventually but with the running boards on it passes inspection.

Look's fantastic mate :thumbsup::thumbsup:

nice explorers u got there glen

Warning: Sh*t quality pics :D (blame it on the rain)

I blame this forum for me trying things......I decided to see how much ground clearance the 33's actually provide and see how they would look and now I feel obligated to keep them on and put a B/L on :( lol Will the projects ever stop?
IMAG0241.jpg

IMAG0238.jpg

IMAG0237.jpg

X2. Awesome mate:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back