Hands-Free tailgate issues | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hands-Free tailgate issues

Just finished pulling the plug on this problem. Simple solution removing the sensor plug in at the bumper. I covered both ends well with electrical tape to seal them off, will check in month or so see how that his holding in.
Did you have the TSB done for this issue?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say that it would depend on just where the fob is located at.
I put my fob on the driver's seat and also put it on top of the console and the liftgate would not open with a swipe with the fob in either location. I believe the fob has to be within 3 feet of the 'gate' to activate it. The same distance that is required for the activation of the keyless entry.

Peter

Did you have the TSB done for this issue?

Peter
Nope. Bumper to bumper was done in September so I doubt they would fix under the TSB without paying up. I can live without this feature, as long as the FOB and buttons work no need for a foot activated feature that worked only when it wanted to. This wasn't as much of an issue a year ago, for some reason it started to react more often lately opening up when it shouldn't the last 6 months. Anyways I can live without it.

^ I feel the same way and is one of the larger let downs of the car. I really wish this feature worked, but, so do the buttons.

sounds like XLT16 and I have had the exact same experience with this.
I actually had my dealer look at it while it was still under warranty and they couldn't find a problem I didn't know about the TSB and obviously they didn't either.
Funny thing is the one time i was walking up to my truck with both arms full of stuff and I remembered to wave my foot under the bumper and NOTHING! so i had to put my stuff down and open the lift gate then pickup my stuff and load it.

sounds like XLT16 and I have had the exact same experience with this.
I actually had my dealer look at it while it was still under warranty and they couldn't find a problem I didn't know about the TSB and obviously they didn't either.
Funny thing is the one time i was walking up to my truck with both arms full of stuff and I remembered to wave my foot under the bumper and NOTHING! so i had to put my stuff down and open the lift gate then pickup my stuff and load it.
It won't work with a "wave". It has to be a short kick, in and out, and to the side of the hitch if you have the tow package. I'd guess mine works more than 90% of the time.

Peter

I have to admit that the kick to open is one of the fails of the Explorers.

I can get it to open but then if I try it a second time doing the same kick in the same place it won't work. I would say that it fails to open for me 90% of the time, that is with the kick or swipe to open.

Twice, while walking behind the vehicle while the garage door was down I was caught between the two. Not much room between the car and the door so I've learned to open the door before going behind the car.:(

Back