How to: Warrior Shackle Installation (pics) | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Warrior Shackle Installation (pics)

thanks alot. that helps me to understand a little bit more. i hope the bolts come off easy because the owner before kept it in a garage and it only has about 77000 miles on it so i am hoping there isnt much rust. i looked at them and they seem to be rust free. i guess i wont find out til i actually try and take them off. thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question; I've been working on my the upper shackle bolt all day, and it's not budging. Unfortunately, I've managed to mess of the threads at the end so I can't put the nut back on. Considering as how the bolt itself doesn't appear to be going anywhere, how safe would it be to temporarily drive without the nut at the end?

Sounds like you ran into a good one... Sometimes they get like that.

What I typically do is to cut off the bolt on each end -- rip off the shackle, then drive the bolt out with a BFH (big hammer).

I'd say as frozen as that bolt is, you can drive it some without the nut. It isn't going anywhere soon without some major help.

Sounds like you ran into a good one... Sometimes they get like that.

What I typically do is to cut off the bolt on each end -- rip off the shackle, then drive the bolt out with a BFH (big hammer).

I'd say as frozen as that bolt is, you can drive it some without the nut. It isn't going anywhere soon without some major help.

Well I've been whacking it with a big metal mallet and as far as I can tell, all I'm doing is driving the bushing out. I've tried heating it up some and plenty of PB Blaster. I'd like to try again when it's not as windy, that way the propane tank won't keep getting blown out. But it's going to rain tomorrow and then I have work all next week.

Well I've been whacking it with a big metal mallet and as far as I can tell, all I'm doing is driving the bushing out. I've tried heating it up some and plenty of PB Blaster. I'd like to try again when it's not as windy, that way the propane tank won't keep getting blown out. But it's going to rain tomorrow and then I have work all next week.

That's exactly what you are doing -- and that is fine. Once you drive the whole thing out, you can get the bolt out of the bushing, then drive it back in, or replace it with a new piece. Use some anti-sieze on the new bolts -- makes your suspension work better. Just think -- that stock bolt has been frozen in place, and all the stress is on the rubber bushing..

i am not sure how you are doing it but on mine, i jacked up the entire rear end and then jacked the axle up to where it got to a "neutral" spot where there was almost no presure on the leafspring up or down. i did my whole thing in about 2 hours. i guess i had a lucky one. my x was garage kept before i bought it so that probably helped. good luck getting it out.

That's exactly what you are doing -- and that is fine. Once you drive the whole thing out, you can get the bolt out of the bushing, then drive it back in, or replace it with a new piece. Use some anti-sieze on the new bolts -- makes your suspension work better. Just think -- that stock bolt has been frozen in place, and all the stress is on the rubber bushing..

Where do I get the bushings? Ford? Do the new bushing needs pressing in, or will they just slide in?

Thanks.

- edit -

Well I stopped by my local Ford's parts store and they don't have any replacement bushings for the upper shackle-to-frame.

- update -

I took another stab at it this weekend and managed to get the stuck bolt out. I had to cut the threaded end off so it was flat with the frame, and then I took the air chisel to it. Thankfully, all the other 3 came out fine.

according to warrior shackles web site their shackles only provide 1.25 inches of lift, where can i find them with more?

according to warrior shackles web site their shackles only provide 1.25 inches of lift, where can i find them with more?

You can't.. Once the shackles reach a certain length they wont give any more lift as the springs sag. Also the longer the shackles the more they stick down lowering ground clearance and departure angles. If you want more lift you'd have to do a SOA (spring over axle).

You can't.. Once the shackles reach a certain length they wont give any more lift as the springs sag. Also the longer the shackles the more they stick down lowering ground clearance and departure angles. If you want more lift you'd have to do a SOA (spring over axle).

thanks. Also what would i get if i did the aal and shackles, and could i do a tt and polyurethane spring lifters (lack of better word)

I made my own -- easy to make if you have a few tools -- and I did get a bit more lift than the Warriors (and saved a bunch of money).

15014Rear_Angle_shot.jpg

You can see them poking out below the bumper. I used 3/8" stock and longer bolts to get through the extra steel. I also built mine without the center brace - allows for better off-road flex because the springs can twist easier. No problems with control, etc. I put a LOT of miles on those shackles, both on and off road. I believe that mine were a 3" additional lift over stock, and yes, the springs DID settle in after time.

thanks. Also what would i get if i did the aal and shackles, and could i do a tt and polyurethane spring lifters (lack of better word)

A spring over will give you 5.5" on average. It would be tough to get that up front with a TT and spacer.

Better to cut fenders for clearance -- I did that as well, plus a 3" body lift.

do you need new bushings for war153 shackles?

do you need new bushings for war153 shackles?:usa:

No, the bushings are in the frame and leaf springs. You don't need to replace them unless they are damaged.

thanks for the info!!!:usa:

Save money dont buy desert rat shackles

The desert rat shackles are nice, but why pay $70 for 1.5 inch of lift, I dont care what people say you wont get more than that, go to Advance Auto Parts and go to the suspension aisle and buy the universal lift shackles, comes in a box for $20 3" of Lift, no bullshit war-153s are poop

:thumbsup: :D LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was just letting people know those arnt the only answer

Back