How to: Warrior Shackle Installation (pics) | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Warrior Shackle Installation (pics)

There is no need to be flaming people on this forum, please keep it civil and watch your language.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The desert rat shackles are nice, but why pay $70 for 1.5 inch of lift, I dont care what people say you wont get more than that, go to Advance Auto Parts and go to the suspension aisle and buy the universal lift shackles, comes in a box for $20 3" of Lift, no bullshit war-153s are poop

Isn't 3" going to cause problems with the brake lines?

nah............. heard it's 4" then ya need to worry about extended lines :dunno:

There is no need to be flaming people on this forum, please keep it civil and watch your language.

The post has been edited and a reminder notice sent.

I wouldn't run shackles that are 8 inches longer than stock. That means they are 13.5" long. AND if they don't have a center support I'd really not trust them..

the same is true for shackles that are only 8.5" long (like the war-153).. w/out the center brace I just wouldn't trust them for the wheeling our rig sees.

On top of the center brace issue.. as you make the shackles longer you change the pivot point and now the springs/axle move in a different direction than what was meant by the factory... Which means it also changes the pinion angle which can cause other issues too.

~Mark

nah............. heard it's 4" then ya need to worry about extended lines :dunno:
sorry bout that............. far as the suspension install goes, heard it was 4" over then ya need to worry bout extending lines. Definitely center brace with the shackles............................ remember to keep it safe

2" tt 2000 ex sport

with the torsion twist im confused on how high the stock torsion keys will lift! i have noticed aftermarket torsion keys that are for a 2" lift. i want to go 2" for now cause its a quick cheap lift so i can run a 31" tire for now and then i will do a full 4" lift next year. right now i have my stock torsion keys cranked up almost as high as they can go and am using air shocks to lift the rear end( my rear wimpy leaf springs are sacked out anyway especially on the drivers side) i am going to order some shackles to lift the rear but want to know if i should also run aftermarket torsion keys. also is there an aftermarket cv axle i should run if i am at the limit with the 2" lift?

shackles and torsion crank

so im looking at doing a 2" torsion crank, and for the rear, ima do shackles. now if what i have heard is true, ima need 5 or 6" shackles in the back to get 2" of lift on the back suspension. is it possible to do 2" shackles, one on the front of the leaf spring, and one on the aft (back)? because, the shackles look kind of flemsy, and i dont want 6" of flemsy holding my rear axel in place. please fill me in, this forum has been grate so far, im just new to the explorer4X4 community.
thanks from Ramstein Germany,
tom :usa::salute:

Also, with the 2" lift accomplished, will i be able to fit bigger than 31X10.5's in the front? because i want to get the biggest tires i can under there with out rubbing. the off roading in germany is ok, but i would like to get 32's on the sploder cuz im sure with 2" of lift and 32's i would be able to do anything in germany. i went wheelin once sence iv had the 99 and, and is it stock, the only problem i had was ground clearance, (catilitic converters were rubbing on stuff).

Tom on ANY leaf spring setup... one end of the Spring NEEDS to be solidly mounted/bolted. If you put shackles on both ends, thent he readend would have room to move front to back and the drive shafts could possibly come right out.

power lag around 3000 rpm

question was in wrong forum, sorry.

TMelton,

and how does this have to do with the Shackle install???
I would suggest that you post on the forum in a better area then the Suspension area that has nothing to do with drive-train!

Thanks...

will the war 153 work on a 95

thanks for this it will help a lot i just found out that one of my shackles is rusted through so i will be replacing it soon:thumbsup:

sorry to drag up an old thread, i just need some advice on this. i tried to do my shackles the other day and the top bolt is seized fast to the sleeve of the bushing. we tried beating it with a hammer while ratcheting it but no luck. its looking like were going to have to torch it to get it out but my question is that where can i get a replacement bushing for the frame? i bought this kit, which has bushings but the one looks like a leaf bushing and the other is just a metal sleeve.

No problem on the old thread, some of us are old posters... :D

Yours is a common problem in many areas of the country, especially now that Explorers are getting some age (common theme for the thread ?)

I've used various means to deal with this issue, from a thin chisel that can split open the metal sleeve to a torch or saws all, and of course, a good old BFH.

You can get factory type replacement bushings from almost any auto parts seller or the dealer. For off-road use, I do not recommend poly. For street use, poly is good. The reason I don't like it for off-road is it will not allow flex, which is really needed to let the springs work. You may need to know the measurements and get a generic replacement.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Results.aspx?Ntt=leaf spring bushings&Ntk=Keyword&Nty=1&N=0

Something to keep in mind

Also, when your going to go and install new shackles, it would be wise to soak the bolts with some WD40 or equivalent the day before and let them soak to loosen the bolts. Otherwise you'll have a tough time wrenching those out from the stock shackles. For some of you, that may not be the case, but just something to keep in mind.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to see if we could add some info to the original post. It seems like a lot of people are getting very stuck bushings and bolts. My explorer is very low mileage and a relatively dry climate, but still had the passenger leaf spring bushing rusted to the eye.

Could we maybe get a caution or FYI in the original post about this?

You may need a part puller and the replacement bushing is RB131 seen here
http://www.truckspring.com/products/Rubber-Leaf-Spring-Bushing---Type-1__RB-131.aspx

If someone wants to add their info of the top shackle bushing they could as well. I'll be trying to nail down the OEM part # for the lower.

What should have been a 2hr install has turned into the ex on jackstands since friday and probably until the bushing ships on wednesday. Damn you labor day weekend! BTW I tried PB blaster, cutting both ends of the bolt off, using a punch to try and tap it through, drilling through the bolt with titanium bits, only thing that worked was the part puller that pushed the entire bushing out. Thank you search function.

Back