Jakee's 4.0 SOHC Build up discussion and motivation thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jakee's 4.0 SOHC Build up discussion and motivation thread

After Camber adjusters, Body bushings, rear sway bar, and brakes are complete, I'll be posting baseline dyno numbers. First things first. Must be safe!

EDIT (11-6-2007)

Let me save you some time by posting the summary to this thread. The thread is filled with a bunch of off topic ramblings. Read on if you want but be warned.

Summary to this thread....

I'm going to attempt to close this thread because the N/A goal is coming to an end. I really lost interest in the N/A goal a few months back, and It just doesn't make sense (from a $/HP perspective) to buy anymore bolt-ons when the force feed options are available for us 4.0 SOHC guys. I would rather save the money to buy a turbo than to keep spending big bucks for little gains. And so, this is what I did, and these are my opinions on how the mod worked out.

The first thing was the intake. I can remember going around in circles trying to figure out which one to buy. The Volant? no, the K&N....wait a minute, the MAC is cheaper? Anyways, I finally decided on the MAC intake because of the cost. All and all, an intake is an intake. You're not going to see a big huge difference between any of them, but I still feel the best out there is the Volant. I believe in a "Closed" intake. In other words; I don't like the idea of sucking hot engine air thru an open filter under the hood. That's just me and the difference between a "Closed" intake and an "Open" is very small. I did, however, see a gain from customizing the MAC intake by closing in the air filter with a trash can....Yes, you heard me right, a freaking trash can that I cut to fit in the engine bay. It worked good and people usually don't notice what it is. They just think it looks cool. Anyways, I also replaced the MAC filter with a Volant filter; cut a 3-1/2" hole thru the fender and placed a Volant filter thru it. No water can get to it, well....not from this area....I then added spectra hoses from the front of the vehicle where the fog lights were for a "Ram air" attempt. I had a couple of aluminum parts machined for a clean install. That was it for the intake.

Next, I believe I ordered the 73MM C&L from hensonperfromance. This housing uses the same electronics but is just a bit bigger than the stock plastic MAF housing. The gain was small, but was worth it. I believe I've found dyno's of a 7 RWHP gain? Not sure, but there is a gain there.

The TB was the next thing. I purchased a 4.6 TB from KBX performance because I heard a guy named James had discovered it to work with the 4.0 SOHC. I later fooled around and half shafted it. Basically, what that does is removes half the rod that the butterfly is attached too. Do a search on "half shafting a TB" or something like that to get more details. I believe this mod really doesn't give big HP; more throttle response than anything but it's worth it.

When I had the TB off, I noticed this big tube right in the way of the airflow. The tube is the EGR valve and the reason it's sticking in there is to evenly vent exhaust gases back in the intake. Do not remove the EGR valve; it actually helps you. What I did was remove the part that's in the way of the air-flow. I have no idea if this helped me, but It felt like it did. The only ill effect I can think of is maybe one side of the engine is getting more EGR flow; however, I haven't seen traces of this on the spark plugs so I believe it's good.

Now for the exhaust....yeah, it's hard to get a 4.0 SOHC to sound good. In fact, I think mine still sounds pretty bad. I started off with the Gibson Cat back and if your looking for a "Slightly louder than stock" exhaust, then this is the one for you. The gain was good and I liked the sound but I wasn't satisfied. I felt there might be just a little more power I could unleash so I tried a higher flow muffler; a magna-flow. I started off by having a custom Y-pipe made. It has 2-1/4" primaries that y's into a 3" single exhaust. The pipes run back a little ways and goes into a 3" magnaflow cat, then into a 2-1/2" magnaflow muffler, and dumps right before the rear axle. The flow is there but the sound.....I hate it.

I also added JBA stainless headers. I have to say that headers are very expensive for the 4.0 SOHC but there is gain, trust me. If your looking for EVERYTHING you can from the engine, add headers to it later on down the road.

Next is under-drive pulleys....This is one of the better mods in my opinion. The under-drive crank pulley works by slowing down the serpentine belt, which in return, slows down all the accessories running off the belt. The result is more power to your back tires. The only problem I had was it slows the alternator down too much. The fix is an overdrive alt pulley and I added one to speed the alt back up. Problem solved. I'm also running a underdrive water pump pulley with no problems what so ever.

Another good mod is a electric fan. I went with the flex-a-lite 180 and haven't had a problem yet. Very good quality pc.

The best mod, in my opinion, is a tuner. I went with a SCT XCAL II that I picked up from hensonperformance. I think this changed my truck the most and I'm very pleased.

I believe this about sums it up. Every pc of info I just typed here is on the net, and most is right here in this forum, but I wanted to compile some of it for reference purposes....

I made a goal at the begining of this thread, but I'm really not interested anymore. It doesn't make a hill of beans to have high dyno numbers, but it is nice. The only dyno I had sucked; I made 189 to the rear wheels. I'm thinking I'm a bit higher than that but I'm not worried about it.

Next project......TURBO!! and I'll probably do a baseline for this. If so, I'll add the baseline dyno here so there will be N/A results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

interested in this post.....good luck guys......post some 1/4 mile times.....cuz if this all looks good I want in on the N/A action....

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

AiwaExplorer said:
interested in this post.....good luck guys......post some 1/4 mile times.....cuz if this all looks good I want in on the N/A action....

Cool. With a little competition we all should be able to get better numbers.

Here's an update. The intake should be here Friday. (It's the MAC). Now, My concern is how my current engine health is. I may of been a little to optimistic, so I've been told. I'll be doing a compression test to see what that looks like. Then, a baseline dyno (with the MAC and "junk" mods). I had to find another dyno because the local was broke. Once that's done I'll post the results. Good or bad I'll keep going with the mods, but if it's bad, I won't be king and I'll have to bow down to spindlecone. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

post of 1/4 times....thats what im here for....dyno just shows hp and tq....we want track results =)

AiwaExplorer said:
post of 1/4 times....thats what im here for....dyno just shows hp and tq....we want track results =)

Maybe it's a pride thing for me but I want to be a little more "built up" before I go to the track. I don't feel like running 16's, even with the excuse that it's a sploder. But, the 1/4 times are in the plan.

Spindle - Are you still out there? What did your baseline dyno look like? How many miles are on your engine?

Jakee said:
Maybe it's a pride thing for me but I want to be a little more "built up" before I go to the track. I don't feel like running 16's, even with the excuse that it's a sploder. But, the 1/4 times are in the plan.

Spindle - Are you still out there? What did your baseline dyno look like? How many miles are on your engine?
Been a couple yrs, but baseline was about 170 RWHP, 200 Tq approx.
just rolled 37K.
Track times may be cool but are more dependant on the Driver, the track conditions, tires, gearing etc.

spindlecone said:
Been a couple yrs, but baseline was about 170 RWHP, 200 Tq approx.
just rolled 37K.
Track times may be cool but are more dependant on the Driver, the track conditions, tires, gearing etc.

Gosh - no wonder your numbers are where they are. What's the parasitic loss factor on these auto's?

Jakee said:
Gosh - no wonder your numbers are where they are. What's the parasitic loss factor on these auto's?
18/20%

spindlecone said:

Either Ford was overating the 210 crank HP OR the parasitic loss is more like 23/24%

hmmmm link doesnt work for me....

AiwaExplorer said:
hmmmm link doesnt work for me....

Take the "horespower" off the end and go into the main page. You'll see the link on that page along with a bunch of interesting stuff.

we have work to do, jump on it:)

yall are right....that is a good read....good find...i reccomend that reading!

spindlecone said:
A killer SCT tune, intake, Exhaust,Y-Pipe-UD pully,E-fan,Pro-M,ported TB= 210 RWHP, 235 RWTQ, simple **** is all :D

Is there any cheaper 4.0 SOHC UD pulley out there now or is it still 200+?

Afboy143 said:
Is there any cheaper 4.0 SOHC UD pulley out there now or is it still 200+?
Not that i know of.

spindlecone said:
we have work to do, jump on it:)

Just got notified that the intake will be here today so It's going on tonight. I'll post pics to prove I'm not bullshitting. Also, you'll see my version of the MAF sensor housing to use IF YOU DON'T GO OVER 73MM. Anything bigger and you need the sensor reconfigured. The only problem with the way I did it was; a bunch of modifying was required to make it work (but that's right up my alley)

Also, I've yet to do the compression test. Even if that looks good I don't really expect to get 170 RWHP on the baseline. Even though my engine "Feels" strong, it has way more miles on it than yours. I doubt that I will be able to top you HOWEVER, I can still prove what I'm saying by obtaining over 45 HP from the baseline correct? By the way, I did find one stang N/A with 215 HP.

And there's still heads and cams for anyone willing to do the work. But, you will have to yank the engine.

So, I'll keep modding away and see how it goes. Maybe get a second 4.0 SOHC that I can work on. Then swap in the fresh engine, take the old one and freshen it up for a spare.

I better stop typing before someone in here gets on my ass again.

Wait, there's more..

Next up, EXHAUST...and heres the plan.

2" pipe from the manifolds to a maganaflow Y pipe. From the Y pipe, 2-1/2 single to a magnaflow CAT. From the Cat, 2-1/2 to the magnaflow muffler and out the back near stock. Shorty headers with 1-5/8 primaries will probably go on MUCH later.

Jakee said:
Wait, there's more..

Next up, EXHAUST...and heres the plan.

2" pipe from the manifolds to a maganaflow Y pipe. From the Y pipe, 2-1/2 single to a magnaflow CAT. From the Cat, 2-1/2 to the magnaflow muffler and out the back near stock. Shorty headers with 1-5/8 primaries will probably go on MUCH later.

Where do you plan on mounting the O2 sensors?

aldive said:
Where do you plan on mounting the O2 sensors?

At the same exact stock location down the pipe. Not further up, not further down. If it's 18" down the pipe considering the bends, then it needs to be 18"
down the new pipe considering the bends, correct?

Back