Joe Dirt's '97 XLT "Shamrock" | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joe Dirt's '97 XLT "Shamrock"

Ok all, so now that Snowball is gone to the retirement home (heated pole barn up north) :) I'm going to be rollin' in Shamrock, my new virtually rust-free '97 V8. Since the ad was placed by the previous owner on CriagsList on St. Patrick's Day and purchased the day after, I thought it only fitting to pick that name.

So here are some pics of her just washed, nothing else done... Not bad for what I shelled out for her!

DSCF8113.jpg

DSCF8114.jpg

DSCF8116.jpg

DSCF8117.jpg

DSCF8115.jpg

DSCF8074.jpg

DSCF8075.jpg

As you can see, she needs to be cleaned right good like... But I'm going to tear everything out, powerwash the carpet, and everything else as I did on Snowball.

Right now current plans are putting on some stock running boards, swapping the blue interior lights to factory green, Dropping in a Pioneer deck, new leather wheel, new(er) rear bumper (dent), maybe black '97 windows, new headlights/fogs, paint the pillar trims, grabbing the rotary to start polishing, and fixing some nitpick things- roof rack, A/C recharge, CV axles... Yada yada...

More to come! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've found that the Turtle Ice items work wonderful. I use the Synthetic wax, Synthetic Polisher, Synthetic Detailer, the interior detailing wipes, etc. I am slowly replacing my inventory with Turtle Car Care Products. I love the synthetic detailer, it can be applied in sunlight, and wont smear. The Turtle Synthetic wax also works well, if I get some on my windows, no worries, its safe for use on windows :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I'll add this. One member on here absolutely harped on me to try Adams Polish Products. After trying it, I tossed everything else out that I had. That stuff works great!

I prefer Sam Adams products. Everything looks shinier after 5 or 6 of them.

Joe your truck is amazing and you are a talented detailer! my 98 has 200k on her and i always thought i took good care of her. I now have a lot of work to do......:salute:

Products are really about what you like to use- so you use it, and the car just gets detailed at least... I've used the TW Ice products before, and it does leave a nice finish, and the non-hazing on the black trim is a nice touch, although (tip) you can use a cheap pink eraser to get rid of white wax residue on black textured trim- load up now while back-to-school is going on...) For me, it just didn't seem to last as long on my vehicles as some other combos, but I'm a bit specific on what I like. Just personal preference. :thumbsup:

Thanks joshuaj... :)

Yea I used the Ice wax on my explorer, I had both the liquid wax, AND the quick spray detailer, and I must say, they look amazing (both my Explorer did and my grand am) after I wash them and use the Ice wax, but like you said, it just doesnt last that long.

I use "Big Rock" products. Same idea. :D
Posted via Mobile Device

trust me, earlier this summer when i used an electric polisher on evil and saw a pile of swirls on it afterwords, i was ready to use your method!

For 2 days I've been looking at your post thinking "what the hell does that mean?, you have to wax it 5 or 6 times to make it look nice. That's ridiculous." Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. Hey, I never said I was the smart one here!

although (tip) you can use a cheap pink eraser to get rid of white wax residue on black textured trim- load up now while back-to-school is going on...

Another great tip from Joe. Joe, I gotta tell you I probably learn something new from you every day. I have to start writing these down. :thumbsup:

trust me, earlier this summer when i used an electric polisher on evil and saw a pile of swirls on it afterwords, i was ready to use your method!

I have been using a Crafstman 9" buffer for the past 14 years. I've never gotten swirls or streaks even on black. And it cuts the time way down. I love it.

- Rondo

No prob on the tips... It's all experience... :)

As for the 9" buffer, they're basically wax spreaders. Unless you've got contaminants on the paint or contaminants in the buffing bonnet, they're not going to do much damage as they don't run fact enough or warm enough due to friction to do much damage to a surface (if any). But, if you have scratches and imperfections to remove, you'll need an electric DA or a rotary to work a product into the surface and work it hard enough to break it down to do it's job. Kind of a give and take.

Here is some interesting reading...

I use the G110 shown at the bottom. Plenty of power to keep the speed up when pushing the pad to the paint while working product.

CLICK ME

Joe,

Brotha this is a bad ass thread. Great work.....I know that you moved on but this has me inspired.

I recently picked up a 98 4.0 XLT with 118k miles on it. The last owner was good on maintenance but wasn't anywhere near neat with with the EX. In fact it was essentially his dog carrier. When I bought it it smelled "Doggie-riffic" I was outside standing 25 feet from the truck and could smell the thing.......I immediately took it to be washed. Knocked the smell back but it was still strong. I then did the easiest thing I knew to do...Pull the mats and power wash much like you did. Power wash combined with wiping down ALL surfaces with Simple Green and Vac has the car liveable.....However I know that there is still dog hair and dirt in the interior that if I got rid of would make the interior soooo much nicer.

Im taking my time with my EX refurbishment. But pulling the carpet and power washing the whole interior IS something that has run through my head...Now that I have seen it done and know there is a resource is something I'm gonna have to move up on the to do list.

Like you I'm paint ****. This thing was filthy to the touch. I couldnt stand it and had to clay the thing asap....Huge difference. Now time for the paint correction....I just dont want to do a 3 step.

:D

Walt-

Best bet is to grab a DA polisher and some Meguiars 105/205 combo or even Ultimate Compound if there are some paint imperfections. Once you get the major imperfections cured it'll be maintenance but the initial step will help the truck look much better and you'll be a lot happier with the result. If you don't do any correction, you'll only have shiny paint in between swirls... :)

Be sure to post pics of your progress! :thumbsup:

Before somebody reads your posts they should be warned,the OCD I've developed about my truck being clean can all be accredited back to you my man,my interior looks brand new so thanks for the tips,not for the OCD.

Ha ha!

Glad I could introduce some OCD into your life... :D

Reading over Shamrock's and Wedgie's registry caused me to clean my explorer like crazy. :D And it was filthy...bits of junk food everywhere... Great tips on this and wedgie's registry :thumbsup:

:D

Walt-

Best bet is to grab a DA polisher and some Meguiars 105/205 combo or even Ultimate Compound if there are some paint imperfections. Once you get the major imperfections cured it'll be maintenance but the initial step will help the truck look much better and you'll be a lot happier with the result. If you don't do any correction, you'll only have shiny paint in between swirls... :)

Be sure to post pics of your progress! :thumbsup:

Got the DA PC 7424!! I have some XMT products plan to use Indermediate Swirl with an Orange pad, Light swirl remover with white pad and finally polish her with a polishing pad.....Trust me I have spent plenty of time on Autogeek.net too. I have read great things about the Megs 105/205 combo.

I'm also kinda big on the Duragloss stuff. Great great products.

Today was the last chapter. The last verse. THE last ride.

As the words of Twista so eloquently say,

"Might leave yo face down in the dirt because hurtin's not an option. Gotta get that money man"

At about 7:15 tonight, it was official, Shamrock was sold and signed over and as such, it was time to make it rain- under the watchful eye and spirit of the one that wouldn't leave me alone until Shamrock was gone. Oh yeah, they're all hundreds, *****ez...

DSCF4003.jpg

As B.I.G. said... "Playa haters get away or my lead will spray... Squeeze off til I'm empty, don't tempt me... Only, to Hell I send thee, all about the Benji's"

Why? "'cuz it's all about the Benjamins, baby." :D

Registry thread CLOSED!

I spy a white Explorer in that last pic....:D

Joe, is it just me or do you look really, really happy? :bounce: :dunno:

Back