Joe Dirt's Wedgie | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joe Dirt's Wedgie

Yeah, it sounded funny worded that way. :D Yes, I let my 6 year old name the car. When I mentioned that it was Wedgewood Blue, the name was blurted out in 5 seconds.

She's Deep Wedgewood Blue with a Dark Graphite leather interior.
105,000 miles, a V8 AWD of course, and sporting leather chaps inside. :D

So, the work starts- I need to swap over my audio stuff, visors, auto dimming mirror, rims and tires, trailer hitch, front lights, put in a new leather wheel and clean the hell out of the truck. I can't help but do that... ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright, trial and error. I agree, yesterday I had trial and error and fail... Purchased the Megs claybar awhile back. Caused alot of scratches on the hood of the Isuzu SUV I had. Figured I didnt use enough Quick Detailer, so I gave it a shot again. Lots of scratches again. Used my new super cheap Menards buffer and Gold Class and looks pretty decent. Watched the Megs video this morning for the clay bar. Here is My Fail-Super Stupid part. I left the bar as it was....didnt know you were supposed to knead it... And make it flat... I dont remember reading this on the box at all...

Either way, Joe & Wedgie have gotten me to try out new products I already had sitting around doing nothing. Plan on tryin it again today. Clay bar is hard as a brick though.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Alright, trial and error. I agree, yesterday I had trial and error and fail... Purchased the Megs claybar awhile back. Caused alot of scratches on the hood of the Isuzu SUV I had. Figured I didnt use enough Quick Detailer, so I gave it a shot again. Lots of scratches again. Used my new super cheap Menards buffer and Gold Class and looks pretty decent. Watched the Megs video this morning for the clay bar. Here is My Fail-Super Stupid part. I left the bar as it was....didnt know you were supposed to knead it... And make it flat... I dont remember reading this on the box at all...

Either way, Joe & Wedgie have gotten me to try out new products I already had sitting around doing nothing. Plan on tryin it again today. Clay bar is hard as a brick though.

What I did was kept kneading it as I went. This seems to "get rid" of the dirty part of the bar. I would think that if the bar is hard as a rock that it is no good.

Thanks Rondo, was wondering that myself. It was purchased like that and I bought another one-both like frozen candy bars. Assumed that was how they were....

Thanks Rondo, was wondering that myself. It was purchased like that and I bought another one-both like frozen candy bars. Assumed that was how they were....

I know that mine were soft like silly puddy or C-4, lol. :D

I wonder if I can clay with a bar of C-4? Might try that with my neighbor's GMC Jimmy that he wants me to detail... lol!

Yeah, the bar has to be kneaded to soften up and flatten out. Do a panel, (like a fender) then fold into itself and knead a new surface.

Of course, must wash first, I was very well first- use Dawn up front to strip whatever wax is left on the surface, then clay, then wash again, then start the surface prep/waxing after that...

I like my chrome- it's shiny. :D

I wonder if I can clay with a bar of C-4? Might try that with my neighbor's GMC Jimmy that he wants me to detail... lol! D

Joe, you can clay anything with C-4. Just need some blasting caps. :splat:

I think you'd roll over and die if you saw the inside of my truck.

Clay vid for the folks...

Those people make it look too easy.... :p:

A few days ago I bought some meguires stuff (same joe used on wedgie) and I finally got around to using the ultimate compound and gold class and wow :eek: did that shine my X up. Joe, good choice on detailing products :thumbsup:

Any updates on wedgie?

Poor Wedgie has spent the last 2 weekends trailing in the woods since it's bow season up here... :)

All that exterior cleaning was pointless... :D

Poor Wedgie has spent the last 2 weekends trailing in the woods since it's bow season up here... :)

All that exterior cleaning was pointless... :D

Nah thats what it was built to do not sit in the garage.

Everytime I look at Joe's posts I feel ashamed of my Explorer :( The before and after pics of the hood are amazing.

However, there are two spotless, brand new looking pieces in my interior - the parts I bought from Joe, just can't let them get dirty lol.

But I just moved and have a driveway again - so I think it is time to spend a weekend washing and detailing mine :D

K, so today I spent a bunch of unnecessary money.
(dead links)
...and before anyone says "those aren't aggresive tires..." They most certainly are- for me... :D

That's an inch and a half of lift. Baby steps... baby steps... Besides- that second pic cracks me up. Reminds me of the guy who looks like a thumb:

Did you go up a size in tires?
I went from a 235 to 245 and got the inch and a half of lift. And I will say those aren't agressive tires. :rolleyes:

ROFL on the third pic :D

Here- not the same, but same premise... :D

IMG00876-20101019-1812.jpg

So what did happen to shamrock?

Back