• Register Today It's free!

Lift, best bang for the buck

hvacinstaller

Reaction score
City, State
Warren, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport.
I already have warrior shackles in the rear and have done a 2" TT up front. I want to add more lift and I'm not broke, but I have an old lady and you know how spending large sums of money on something that she has no interest in can get me in some hot water. That being said, is the 4" superlift at approx. $1,700 plus installation costs a more cost effective way to go than a SAS up front and SOA in the rear? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

best bang for the buck is a body lift 3 inches for just over $200,

If you've done TT and shackles, I'm with Corkey, add a 3-inch body lift ($200) and a set of add-a-leafs ($40) and you're in a good place.

If you've done TT and shackles, I'm with Corkey, add a 3-inch body lift ($200) and a set of add-a-leafs ($40) and you're in a good place.

These are my next two mods in terms of lift.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. I purchased tje thebody lift last year and tried to tackle it with a buddy of mine and decided we were in over our heads. I also called around to various local off road shops about having them install it and they all refused because it was for a ranger. I suppose I'll take another crack at it. Thanks again everyone.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. I purchased tje thebody lift last year and tried to tackle it with a buddy of mine and decided we were in over our heads. I also called around to various local off road shops about having them install it and they all refused because it was for a ranger. I suppose I'll take another crack at it. Thanks again everyone.

Some great how-to threads on the PA883 body lift on this forum. Start with http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240957. There's a few tips on my build thread as well, and a ton more from lots of smart folks. No doubt you can work it out.

And if all else fails, offer pizza. You never know if some forum members live close by.

:exp:

Body lift. Then can you go to 33's. Add a rear lunch box locker and you can pretty much go anywhere.

hvac being from Michigan you need to start prepping those bolts with pblaster asap. I am from Grand Rapids originally so I know this, the body lift is easy. just remember don't do as I did, Start with the front and remember the radiator shroud, which i forgot. Get a pipe wrench from harbor freight. Also you can get hockey pucks and get 1 in if you want.

I just finished the body lift on my 2000 Explorer. I am not what I consider a mechanic, but can fix damn near anything.

The part I was dreading the most was the actual lift of the body itself - and once I started doing it, it was not that bad. I would have a second person there for sanity reasons and safety.

The part which actually threw me for a loop was removing the front bumper! My bolts were spinning and I had NO way of holding them in... I actually had to drill through the plastic fascia and hold the bolt heads (not really heads) with a screw driver to keep from spinning. I am going to glue the plugs back in (used a hole saw), fill with plastic sealer and spray it with bed liner, both bumpers.

The body bolts can be a ***** - use heat from a propane torch to loosen the threadlock, about 30 seconds on the bottom of the bolt. Hit the tops with either an impact gun or 1/2 breaker bar. I had some of the mounts spin so I had to go get a BIG pair of Channel Lock Pliers to hold them while the second person spun the bolt.

The only thing I have left is to put the bolts through the front mounts (still have to drill those out), put the radiator drop in, remount bumpers and misc. items to put back together.

All in all, I was dreading the lift for one reason or another but now I am done I am glad I did it myself. I have the satisfaction of knowing I did it, and what to look out for if I do one again.

hvac being from Michigan you need to start prepping those bolts with pblaster asap. I am from Grand Rapids originally so I know this, the body lift is easy. just remember don't do as I did, Start with the front and remember the radiator shroud, which i forgot. Get a pipe wrench from harbor freight. Also you can get hockey pucks and get 1 in if you want.

PB Blaster is your friend! I saved a few bucks by buying it in the LARGE metal container, bought a spray bottle to fill, and use it liberally.

Its been awhile since Ive posted but I want to give a quick update on recent mods. As stated earlier, I already has the warrior shackles and TT. Last week I added Monroe Sensa-Trac load adjusting coil over shock absorbers which gave me an extra inch in the rear. This week I'll be adding Rancho RS5000 up front. I also have a buddy giving me a four door leaf pack and plan on doing the body lift.

Back