Moab 2015 - May 22-24 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2015 - May 22-24

It will be great to see your rig do it's thing in Moab :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not going to be able to make it after all. Sorry, Maybe next year.

Looks like this will be the only run with others from the forum that I can make before I move back to Ohio...

At this point, it will be just me (and Jack, long as dogs are allowed...might have 1 or 2 others tag along too), running stock to modified...will be making reservations tomorrow and filling out my leave slip for the school. :D

I saw earlier someone said something about bringing there mountain bikes? Is it just them or does this group wheel and ride as well? Ill load up my bike if there will be a group.

Don't know if anyone else is bringing bikes, but Rachel and I will be staying in St. George before Moab, so we'll be warmed up for some MTB in Moab for sure.

It's our first time riding in the area though, so we'll probably be riding 'tourist' speed most of the time, not ripping it up.

Hey Guys,

First off, count me in! It'll probably just be me and my Explorer. I've taken it on Hells Revenge and Elephant Hill - but those are probably dancing close to the limit of my rig's abilities. That does bring me to the next thing though, the Elephant Hill Trail and White Rim Trail may start requiring permits to travel (Limited to 24 and 50 vehicles per day respectively) and the group sizes would be limited to 3 vehicles max. The issue/topic is just being released for the public to debate and provide input on. Here is the link to the article which contains instructions on how to respond:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=33876168&nid=1288&title=new-day-use-permits-proposed-for-2-roads-in-canyonlands&s_cid=queue-13

I would prefer to leave the roads unregulated and not require a permit. I think I will probably write them a response reflecting that and hope for the best. I would hate to see Elephant Hill get taken off our group run list, that was one of my favorite group runs in 2013!

Group sizes would be limited to three vehicles and 15 bicycles, according to the news release.

3 vehicles or 15 bikes? Hmm, that's not discriminatory is it????

:eek:

I left a comment on their site. Thanks for the link.

3 vehicles or 15 bikes? Hmm, that's not discriminatory is it????

:eek:

I left a comment on their site. Thanks for the link.

Ya this is a joke we need to get the word out and stop this before they start making every trail in moab this way.

...Looks like I will be taking the Ranger this trip..:burnout:

Been having trouble finding links to campgrounds in the area, and the link for Canyonlands isn't working...anyone know of any other campsites? If there is dispersed camping (free, tents, campfire, and that's it), I'd be absolutely fine with that...I'd almost prefer it. Or if anyone has extra space for another small tent, I'd be happy to split cost.

I know it's coming up soon and it's gonna be tough to find anything...been extremely busy with work and having my family out here to visit the last week...

Check the BLM. AFAIK, there is no dispersed camping in Moab anymore.

Check the BLM. AFAIK, there is no dispersed camping in Moab anymore.

Just looked at it....looks like there are hundreds of campsites, but they are all first-come, first-serve unless there is a group of at least 10 for some sites, then it's reserve-able. I'd take my chances on it knowing that there are lots of sites, but I'm sure there will also be lots of people out there as well...I'll keep looking though...

Been having trouble finding links to campgrounds in the area, and the link for Canyonlands isn't working...anyone know of any other campsites? If there is dispersed camping (free, tents, campfire, and that's it), I'd be absolutely fine with that...I'd almost prefer it. Or if anyone has extra space for another small tent, I'd be happy to split cost.

I know it's coming up soon and it's gonna be tough to find anything...been extremely busy with work and having my family out here to visit the last week...

Canyonlands link:
http://www.canyonlandsrv.com/ it just worked for me...

Here are a couple others:
http://www.slickrockcampground.com/

http://www.moabupthecreek.com/

Up the Creek is out (no campfires lol)...I'll give the other two a call and some of the other sites I found just to double check that I can't make reservations...these just seem too, something (can't think of the word.) When camping, I generally think of no electricity, water, and definitely no pools and hot tubs, but I generally can't pass up a hot tub! :D

No matter, if I have to sleep in the truck on an exit ramp, I'll be there!

We have our reservations at the KOA just south of town...really liked the accommodations there so we hit it again. As far as the rig, we got the manual 4406 stuffed into the sport and the tires ready to go...just gotta do some trimming for the tires and bumpers and some electronic goodies and we will be set to go!

Just made the reservation at Slickrock...see you all in a few weeks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So looks like the list a bit smaller this year, or do we always have people confirm last minute? We are staying at the KOA once again.

Back