My New, New 347 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My New, New 347

I'm abandoning my old thread (My new 347), as the motor has been an epic fail for many reasons.
Against any sane reason, I'm trying again.

Post #1 is a thread with all parts for my own records. I'll keep adding to this as I have the time and know what parts are being used.

New (Used) unmolested factory block from Vroomzoomboom. Thanks Tim!
Eagle Forged 4340 Steel Crankshafts 430234705400 w ESP Armor coat option
Bullet Pistons BF6010-030 - 2618 Forged Flat top w TFS valve reliefs made for power adder applications
Rods -I beam Forged (From Old Motor)
King Pro Series Bearings
Michigan 77 SH1321 Cam Bearings
MEL10688 HV Oil Pump - Block and pump machined to fit under the stock oil pan
FEL-1133SD MLS head Gaskets
PAC-1207X LS Springs (Yes Tim, there is something Cheby going in to my Ford motor)
Comp Ultra gold 1.6 rockers (old build)
HRC911968 Howards link bar lifters
Comp Cam 35-775-8 proposed, may change after head flow number change 35-775-8 - XFI™ Stroker Hydraulic Roller Camshafts, Computer controlled (E.F.I.) with O.E. hydraulic roller cams 1985-95
rollmaster timing set (Hopefully re-usable from old build)
TW170 heads (old build) that will be ported and the chambers softened for boost
push rods: 5/16" with a length of 6.7" (old build)
ARP Head Studs (old build)
Torque converter CircleD SKU:30-09-19 11" 2800 stall triple disk lockup FORD 11" HP Series 4R70 Torque Converter
Trick Flow Track Heat intake (old build)
Cometic C5652-060 intake manifold gasket
ARP Oil Pump Driveshaft Kit 1 54-7904 (old build)
ARP Flexplate Bolt Kit 100-2901 (old build)
PCV Valve EV127A
header gasket remflex 3003

28oz Damper DamperDudes.net (Americas Largest supplier of harmonic balancers)-re-balanced by machinist to 0
28oz flex Plate 1830201 - Small Block Ford 289-351W 1963-1982, 28 oz Ext-bal, 164 Teeth -re-balanced by machinist to 0

Injector Clinic 650H 62lb injectors
Return style fuel pump canister installed in fuel tank (1998 Explorer)
Another 6an braided line added as a fuel return line
Aeromotive Stealth Electric Fuel Pump 11542 340lph
Aeromotive 13130 fuel regulator
Trick Flow TFS-5158000R fuel rails

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I detoured on the way to work today and found myself across the border picking up my new torque converter.
2800 stall billet cover triple disc lockup.
Looks like a really nice unit.

CircleD converter1.jpg

CircleD converter2.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yup, right around there.

i still have some 6an line kicking around here. not sure what i have for fittings if you need.

Pistons sure showed up in a hurry, the crank is 6 weeks away. Piston ****.

bullet piston.jpg

Gorgeous!

lots of shiny stuff.
I want to see the armor coated crank when it shows up.
I found a link where a back to back test was done. I don't really trust these tests, but it looks good.
Eagle also offers a much better warranty when they do the armor coat. Not that it really matters in my build.
Eagle ESP Armor Surface Treatment - Circle Track Magazine

thing about warranty is, sure. they will cover the part that failed, and not the parts it took out in the process, and labour.
yea, im being a grump about it, but hey, its true

Its absolutely true. lol.
Besides, assuming the thrust bearing stays intact, there is no way the crank will break before the block.

They must make great profit on each crank they coat. That's not being a grump, that economics. Dimas recommends it, so I went with it. The last thing I want to hear from him is "I told you so...."

Wow. Great sounding build so far. Glad I found this. I love the converter choice.

I thought I'd share what I'm pretty sure my torque converter was doing. This video is pretty awesome, illustrating what high pressure at the tc does.

I don't think it was ballooning, I think it was the partially crimped cooler line creating excessive back pressure pushing the tc towards the flex plate.

I would be interested to know how much movement that was in the video.

From the looks of it at least .025

Trouble in paradise.
The donor block from Tim suffered a thrust failure also.
Going to have to find a block.

trashed thrust.jpg

I wonder what caused this thrust bearing failure? Is this the block from the green truck that Tim bought and sold?
Wonder if he had an aftermarket transmission cooler?

Awe you got to be kidding me!
K, I’ll watch for one at work or see if anyone I know has one
John, that more had a Oil starvation issue. The sump clogged on it

Dimas said he wants to proceed with shot peening and see what it looks like. He said he won't charge me for the machining if it still doesn't look good to him.
A dart block is $3400 cad looking at summit. I'm sure Dimas could get me one cheaper, but that price gives me a ball park figure. That is a substantial chunk of change.

What in the world is going on up there? I don't think the blocks like your cold!!

Seriously tho, that's just crazy the replacement has the same deal.

The dart block might sound expensive now, but in the long run, it just might be the best thing for it.

We wheelers, spend crazy amounts on off road parts just to be able throw the abuse at it again, and again. Like $5K on a transfercase, or axles, so the same principle applies here. Peace of mind, is priceless. Do what ya gotta do, and get to enjoying your hard work.

Yea, I'm so deep in I will do whatever it takes at this point.
Problem is, there is nothing to stop me from F'ing up the new block with another thrust failure. You know I'll be popping the belt off and checking thrust after every drive for the first while. I guess I better invest in a dial gauge.
To add insult to this, its another delay.
I'm guessing Dimas is hoping that an align hone cleans up that surface. Its a piss off for him also as he was doing two sbf's together to save equipment setup time.

this pisses me off as well. i knew cellys motor was starved for oil, the bearings did see better days (one rod almost had nothing left for a bearing) but the thrust didnt look too bad. it had wear on it, but nothing like mine or yours had, thats why i gave it to him to work with. surprised he didnt say anything about it, i was there today getting the intake/valley pan from him but maybe he wasnt working on it just yet.

hard to tell without being there but that looks repairable to me
roscoe

Back