My turbocharged 2000 5.0 AWD.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My turbocharged 2000 5.0 AWD....

I just wanted to show off my DIY remote build. The truck is an AWD 2000 5.0 Explorer. - I like to think of it as an AWD SUV Mustang:) This truck actually was lifted with tube bumpers, safari rack, and 32" ATs on 20" wheels just a few months ago- it has undergone a big transformation here lately. It is now lowered slightly in the front with the rear at stock height(with sagging springs). I kept the same wheels but put smaller tires on them and added 2" spacers. Now onto the turbo...

The Turbo is a T04E 57trim which turned out to be perfect for remote mounting. It is a little small if one wanted 10psi+, but I planned on 6psi max and fast spool. I am using the stock exhaust with muffler delete to the turbo, then a 3" mandrel bent tailpipe. In the tailpipe is my AEM wideband o2 sensor. For charge pipe, I bought a 2" mandrel bent intercooler kit along with some 2" pipe from my local muffler shop. For couplers, I am using cut pieces of 2" ID radiator hose. It can be bought from Advance Auto pretty cheaply- I got one piece that was a large 90 for $13 and had some left over. I just cut it into the desired length with a bandsaw. The charge pipe goes to a 2" to 2.5" steel adapter, then into a 2.5" to 3" silicone coupler from AutoZone. This coupler feeds into my 3" BOV adapter then into the 3" mandrel bend aluminum pipe leading into the engine bay. I brought the 3" down pretty far to try and eliminate turbulence in the MAF.

I am using an STS oil pump to return the oil back to the oil filler neck. I got the pump from an STS dealer who upgraded a customers car to their high volume pump. I am using the nipple that originally had the vent hose to the intake for the oil return fitting- I am using a vented push in oil cap to make up for it. It was alot easier this way than tapping the oil cap like STS does.

I haven't had it tuned yet but it will break the tires loose from a rolling start in 1st gear(remember, I am AWD), and I have full boost almost immediately. I already have a 6psi spring for the wastegate that will go in when I put on the 30lb injectors and Cobra fuel pump.

Here are the pictures and it you have any questions just ask.

Attachments

• IM000974 (Medium).JPG
    IM000974 (Medium).JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 9,007
  • IM000977 (Medium).JPG
    IM000977 (Medium).JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 8,148
  • IM000989 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    IM000989 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 8,134
  • IM000972 (Medium).JPG
    IM000972 (Medium).JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 11,924

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a few more pictures.....

Attachments

• IM000978 (Medium).JPG
    IM000978 (Medium).JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 7,739
  • IM000976 (Medium).JPG
    IM000976 (Medium).JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 7,590
  • IM000986 (Medium).JPG
    IM000986 (Medium).JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 7,645
  • IM000898 (Medium).JPG
    IM000898 (Medium).JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 12,806

What sort of power are you thinking this achieves? How much $ would something like this costs someone?

Can't wait for some dyno #s after the tune. Looks awesome. :cool:

Man that is so sick, in a good way.

I am looking forward to hearing it, You are going to do a video--yes?

I made one today but the audio on my camera sucks- I am going to try it with my GF's camera soon.

What sort of power are you thinking this achieves? How much $ would something like this costs someone?

Can't wait for some dyno #s after the tune. Looks awesome. :cool:

I am hoping for around 350hp to the wheels with 6psi. I have less than $2000 in the project so far.

Awesome!

wow
I dont think one could run a intake in that location here in Colorado, at least not on a daily driver, way too much slush/snow

Looks nice, I bet its fun to drive!

Very cool:D Nice to see someone trying something different. I have a suggestion though. Wrap your exhaust going all the way back to your turbo with header wrap to keep as much heat in the system as possible... More heat=more power to drive the turbo.

wow
I dont think one could run a intake in that location here in Colorado, at least not on a daily driver, way too much slush/snow

Looks nice, I bet its fun to drive!

You could easily snorkel it into the cargo area :)

damn awesome. this is the second X ive seen this done to. the first one was a 10sec(1/4m) x. very very cool. id be right behind you if i had a v8 x..

or stuff it all under the hood :)

damn awesome. this is the second X ive seen this done to. the first one was a 10sec(1/4m) x. very very cool. id be right behind you if i had a v8 x..

This is the first v-8 remote turbo That I am aware of.

There is another member who has done a very nice sohc v-6

James? Where are you?

nice ride.....post some numbers, like how much this all cost you and what kind of power you will be putting down after the tune, did you do all the work yourself? howcome you decided to go with a rear turbo instead of a regular front mount?

nice ride.....post some numbers, like how much this all cost you and what kind of power you will be putting down after the tune, did you do all the work yourself? howcome you decided to go with a rear turbo instead of a regular front mount?

I didn't go with a front-mount because there is no room under the hood of a 2nd gen V8. Troll did it but had to rework the entire engine bay. I did every bit of the install myself- I collected parts and planned for about 3 months, the actual install took 3days. Here is parts list of what would be required if you do it yourself....

Power Master(good quality, cheap price) Turbo, TO4E .50/.63 57trim or larger- $500+
Wastegate kit- $50-$200
Mocal oil pump (I used an STS pump)- $190
oil feed line(17' -4an nitrous hose)-$50
oil drain line 20' 3/8" tranny cooler line- $30
Function 7 turbo oil adapters- $20
oil line fittings and T-$40
3/8 laser cut steel flanges- $25
Air filter w/ MAF adapter- $30
Aluminum intercooler pipe kit- $100
2" steel mandrel bent intercooler kit-$50
3" steel mandrel bent tailpipe -$15
vented oil cap-$15
2" radiator hose( for charge pipe couplers)- $15
assorted hose clamps-$15
BOV adapter- $25
BOV-$25-$200
AEM Wideband(I'd get an Innovative if I did it again)- $280+
Boost gauge- $30-$60
Off road light wiring kit w/ relay(for oil pump)- $20
intercooler (optional)- $100+

That comes up to just under $2000 for all parts w/ intercooler and max amounts from above. I got alot of my parts way cheaper than these numbers- I just made a list of retail prices. I also had lots of 3" pipe left over along with 2 -2" mandrel U-bends.

I might need to add to this list but this is all I can think of at the moment.

so the oil pump is on a switch?? dont you want it running full time?

so the oil pump is on a switch?? dont you want it running full time?

no, the oil pump is on a relay that comes on with the ignition. The relay powers the oil pump, AIM Wideband, and boost gauge.

wow thats awesome...great work

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow , very jealous. Could the filter suck up any water or do any damage when it rains? How many miles does your 5.0 have?

Where is your intercooler?

Back