Not another V8 swap thread (N2Ford) | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not another V8 swap thread (N2Ford)

we are 14 degrees right now, but it is to be 54 on Thursday the 29th

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

we are 14 degrees right now, but it is to be 54 on Thursday the 29th

Supposed to be in the 60s'from the 3rd to the 5th. Taking a few days off to finish up some outside project.

For the ACC wire which one do you have it connected to on your ignition? I'm thinking that's my problem since everything else I double and triple checked.

I would have to go back into the thread and look see
I am about to wire PATS into this 2000 Ranger downstairs today/tomorrow I will check what wire I use on that truck too..........

it LOOKS like the red/lg wire is going to one of the yellow power feeds at the ignition switch, I am not sure why I did not document the color in the thread.... and it is hard to see in the pics I have
I will get the 02 ST book out and see if it details the power dist at the ignition switch

Voltage supplied at all times. Yellow. Plenty of them
Voltage in run or accessory. A1 - BK/LG
Voltage in run A2 - BN or PK/BK
Voltage in Start STA - RD/LB
Voltage in Run A4 - BN

Ignition Switch connections.JPG

Looks like the R/LG needs to be wired up to the A1 - BK/LG wire

For sale. One hunk of ****. I've linked up the pats and still no luck. So last resort. I'm going to delete pats from the system.

I've also thought about wiring it directly into the existing pats system. Looks like the 4 wires from the key transmitter are the big ones to deal with since the others are just power, ground or to the data link connector. Therefore if I wire up long wires for the power, ground and data link I just need to wire up the following circuits

Black/Yellow to Black/White or 98#1 pats transciever to 02#1 pats transciever
Dark Green/White to Red/Light Green or 98#2 pats transciever to 02#2 pats transciever
Grey/Orange to Grey Orange or 98#3 pats transciever to 02#3 pats transciever
White/Light Green to White/Light Green 98# pats transciever to 02#4 pats transciever

Patsb and patse.jpg

what the heck is going on with this thing

the problem here is with the pats e the old SOHC PCM was the pats module....so with that PCM gone the PATS E system is not complete and will never work.
As long as your 5.0 PCM, the receiver behind the dash and the key all match and the PATS B system is wired in properly the starter should turn and the truck should start!! You should have a blinking THEFT light that goes out when cranking the starter.
Did the PATS b system work in the 5.0 donor?

I have successfully added pats B system to trucks from 96 up to 2002 I am not sure why you are having issues!
the pats B disables the injectors, not the starter...
Pats e disables the starter

I wish I was there with our heads together we could sort this out in short order, I hate internet "mechanic ing" when things go south

what the heck is going on with this thing

the problem here is with the pats e the old SOHC PCM was the pats module....so with that PCM gone the PATS E system is not complete and will never work.
As long as your 5.0 PCM, the receiver behind the dash and the key all match and the PATS B system is wired in properly the starter should turn and the truck should start!! You should have a blinking THEFT light that goes out when cranking the starter.
Did the PATS b system work in the 5.0 donor?

I have successfully added pats B system to trucks from 96 up to 2002 I am not sure why you are having issues!
the pats B disables the injectors, not the starter...
Pats e disables the starter

I wish I was there with our heads together we could sort this out in short order, I hate internet "mechanic ing" when things go south
Wait one minute.

Do I need to be using the key from the 98 Explorer? I've got the key/transmitter and such from the 02 still in the vehicle.

I could pull the ignition, recepticle and pats from the junkyard if that is the case.

dude

Yes the 5.0 PCM is looking for IT'S key and its PATS receiver
Yes you need to be using the 5.0 key AND pats module that came with the 5.0 donor.
The pats B system must all be complete:
5.0 computer, 5.0 key (and ignition tumbler) and the 5.0 pats receiver from behind the airbag
Those are all of the components of the PATS B system

The pats E system consists of the 2002 key and the 2002 PCM, the v6 went bye bye so did the pats e brain (v6 PCM)
With pats E the PCM IS the receiver........no more v6, no more v6 computer = PATS E was REMOVED from the vehicle.

I know why it wont run, it never will until you either:
install the entire pats B system into the donor truck
or
Flash the 5.0 PCM to remove PATS

I think you are onto something here!!

The key cylinders can be changed to match another key(the cut), so if needed you can make a new key to program to the 5.0 PCM and PATS. The people with the programming tool can also use the vehicle's keys to cut the new one, and change the tumblers inside the key cylinder(s).

I paid about $60 to have a locksmith come to me and change two new key cylinders(the tumblers), and make two new keys. I had a swapped rear hatch(93) and wanted a new ignition cylinder. I had my dealer reprogram the three keys to the PATS, it was a friend(shop manager) who allowed me to see how it's done. They simply delete the key codes from the PATS, that's all the special tool does, and it takes about 15 minutes for the automatic program to work. Then being empty, the PATS module will accept any key programmed by the normal method. Then it requires the first key to add a 2nd. After that it's like most people are used to, you have to have two programmed keys to add another.

What I did on the 2002 sport trac is first get it running with the 5.0 key and tumbler, then bought a brand new pats B style key BLANK, had them cut to match the 2002 doors and lock cylinders...then using Star commander, we load in the 5.0 pats info, then program the new blank keys
The end result is 98 style keys with the correct 5.0 pats info programmed into them, but they fit the 2002 doors and ignition tumbler.
Several ways to skin a cat, but lets not get ahead of ourselves, I believe our OP is confused enough!
PATS can be difficult to wrap your head around, but one thing is constant:

The KEY must match the PCM and the PATS receiver.....otherwise it will never run

True, too much information can be bad. I pondered those things for a while with my 99, my hardest part was grinding the three 1993 key holes out, to fit the 95-01 key cylinders. I'll let you know how a Marauder steering column works in a 92 Lincoln next Spring. I'll leave out the PATS.

My 2001 job 2 was rewired for the 98 donor pats. I had a 98 style key cut to the truck so it starts the truck but also works the doors and bed cover. Hope that helps a little. I would have to go back and look but fairly early in this thread Ranger SVT addressed what he did.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive, I enjoy that it is helping others.

dude

Yes the 5.0 PCM is looking for IT'S key and its PATS receiver
Yes you need to be using the 5.0 key AND pats module that came with the 5.0 donor.
The pats B system must all be complete:
5.0 computer, 5.0 key (and ignition tumbler) and the 5.0 pats receiver from behind the airbag
Those are all of the components of the PATS B system

The pats E system consists of the 2002 key and the 2002 PCM, the v6 went bye bye so did the pats e brain (v6 PCM)
With pats E the PCM IS the receiver........no more v6, no more v6 computer = PATS E was REMOVED from the vehicle.

I know why it wont run, it never will until you either:
install the entire pats B system into the donor truck
or
Flash the 5.0 PCM to remove PATS

I think you are onto something here!!

That makes sense. I thought by linking in the old pats it would send a signal out that all is good.

Now the trick is to find a junked out V8 with the keys, tumbler, computer and matching PATS.

I'm pretty sure u-pull doesn't keep the keys and in some cases may not get them so I'll have to reach out to some junkyards for all that. But at least that makes sense why it wasn't starting.

Also helps me on the next project next year when I have my 30-45 days of summer. :)

You can use any PCM and PATS modules of the 1998 range, 98-01 302's, for that engine swap. If you mix them as unmatched components, that requires the programming tool to match them. So either hunt the matching PCM, PATS, and keys, plug and play(less than two keys you have to pay for the programming anyway), or get a 98-01 PCM, a 98-01 PATS module, and have them programmed for the keys and transmitter you already have.

junk yards here have the keys zip tied to the steering column so it is not hard to find a PCM with matching pats module and keys!!
Also somebody who posts on here often and does 5.0 trucks MIGHT just have a set or two they could part with

My local JY's here don't leave cars complete hardly at all. You won't see many keys ever, or wheels or other parts they have contracts to sell all of, to some buyer. Here you have to find yards that don't have so many contract buyers, and sell everything to the public. Things change, you have to keep looking around each time you need some parts, start over calling the same places.

After getting caught up with this thread, I am very thankful I had the 96 5.0 PCM. : )

I have a 99 Ranger that I got from my father in law. Solid body, poor paint and nice interior. It has the weak 3.0 and it has issues. I went this week and bought a wrecked 99 Explorer V8. Both are 2 wheel drive. As the Sport Trac was done by someone else, this will also if I decide to do it. I don't have the time and skill to do it myself. I have a guy I have been using for other things that has done several Ranger Explorer swaps will probably do it for me.

IMG_0576.jpg

I saw a very complete 2001 v8 at the Pull a Part last month. I was tempted to yank that engine out. Scary part, it was in such good shape, it must have been an engine problem that brought it there.

The Ranger will be fun. I had a couple of 5.0 Rangers I had swapped.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the trailer wheels :)

Back