PLAN B Build | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLAN B Build

Some of you may know, and some may have suspected, but I'm starting a new project and it starts with a truck you all will recognize.

I picked up R.J.'s Navajo today. She is a little tired and was facing being parted out, but now will start a new chapter, a very different chapter. I give you Plan B.

(dead links)

So let's start off as to why "Plan B"? Well, it has multiple meanings.

• It starts off as I really wanted a early Bronco. I first learned to drive on Zukmans '71 Bronco he had years ago. But myself owning a early Bronco was not going to happen. There just way to ridiculous priced these days.:eek: So this is My Plan B.
  • JP is not going anywhere, I really just wanted to to do another build and JP is...well, JP!. It works, but it has a following and presence that really can't be changed....it's almost become, dare I say, an Icon of this forum. :jp: So this is My Plan B
  • The Navajo was on it's death bed. R.J. himself had already give it a time of death... :dead: So this is it's Plan B.....or maybe for it C...But for my plan, we'll say B :D
So what does the Plan B build look like? You'll have to watch and find out. But I'll give you some teasers..

• Starting Base : 1991 Mazda Navajo JX 4x4
  • SOHC - donor: 2000 Explorer Sport 4x2 103k
  • 5R55E - donor: 2008 Ranger FX4 45k
  • 1354 manual - still looking for
  • :sawzall: to smell the fresh air;)
  • Super Duty Axles - '99 F350 4x4 PSD
  • 40's - settling for 37's now
  • Grabber Blue
I think that should be enough to entice you all for now...

This is My Plan B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It looks so good 🤩

20240601_184201.jpg

20240601_184229.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking really good. Late 2002, 2003 and up 1 ton Ford truck are where the axles from? Will you have to come up with or make different driveshafts?
I would have to have an "old man" step to get up in there. I could see doing a very similar conversion to a 1997 Sport, using a late '90s
Ford truck 5.0 4x4 powertrain.
If possible, could you add some pictures of how you hung the front differential?
I'm following!

Well his Navajo was a ttb truck before the sas so that helps!
97 sport is sla ifs rack and pinion
So harder to sas

This is a fun one because the sohc engine doesn’t fit the ttb trucks very well but the solid axle is right at home. Your going the other way start with a easy to 5.0 97 and then rip out all the ifs and add a solid axle

Maybe try to find a 91-94’sport to start with they are ttb and have the steering gear box
And drop your 5.0 in that

The difference between a ttb and a solid axle is one u joint and a couple of beam pivot piints

Looking really good. Late 2002, 2003 and up 1 ton Ford truck are where the axles from? Will you have to come up with or make different driveshafts?
I would have to have an "old man" step to get up in there. I could see doing a very similar conversion to a 1997 Sport, using a late '90s
Ford truck 5.0 4x4 powertrain.
If possible, could you add some pictures of how you hung the front differential?
I'm following!

Dana 60 and Sterling from a '03-04 F250. They are actually axels from @Dannyboy old super duty, which originally were meant to go under @FROADER Club Wagon. Now they will live on again here. I will need custom driveshafts. The front diff is just sitting there for now. Not attached. I'm going to 3 link the front. I would look at my other build, as that would give you a better idea then this on a 2nd gen truck.

I will need custom driveshafts. The front diff is just sitting there for now. Not attached. I'm going to 3 link the front. I would look at my other build, as that would give you a better idea then this on a 2nd gen truck.
Would that be your JP?

So I have calculated the weight change

D35 + 8.8 on 35's to D60 + Sterling on 40's

415 lb gain. Not bad really

These things get heavy. Mine was at 5000lbs before the D60 rear end. Still on 35s and D44 up front.

These things get heavy. Mine was at 5000lbs before the D60 rear end. Still on 35s and D44 up front.

JP weights 5300 lbs. My goal is 4500 lbs or so for this.

I wonder which is heavier the navajo/ sport or a bii?

I have a Diahatsu Rocky, the plan is 33s hahahaha those will be huge on there, much like your Navajo on 40s. There is a 87 4 runner runs around north Idaho with 40”
Tires… the guy has dogs and hunts big cats. There have been two winters when his dogs chased cats back here and he was following the pack… so we let him through our gate. That 4’runner will go on our snowmobile trails like it was on tracks… when your tires get that big and the truck is that lite… well your Navajo might Just float

Each time I move this stuff around, I have been weighing it for a more accurate number. We're down to less than a 350 lbs. difference. I probably cut that much off in the rear body and glass.

Back