PLAN B Build | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLAN B Build

Some of you may know, and some may have suspected, but I'm starting a new project and it starts with a truck you all will recognize.

I picked up R.J.'s Navajo today. She is a little tired and was facing being parted out, but now will start a new chapter, a very different chapter. I give you Plan B.

(dead links)

So let's start off as to why "Plan B"? Well, it has multiple meanings.

• It starts off as I really wanted a early Bronco. I first learned to drive on Zukmans '71 Bronco he had years ago. But myself owning a early Bronco was not going to happen. There just way to ridiculous priced these days.:eek: So this is My Plan B.
  • JP is not going anywhere, I really just wanted to to do another build and JP is...well, JP!. It works, but it has a following and presence that really can't be changed....it's almost become, dare I say, an Icon of this forum. :jp: So this is My Plan B
  • The Navajo was on it's death bed. R.J. himself had already give it a time of death... :dead: So this is it's Plan B.....or maybe for it C...But for my plan, we'll say B :D
So what does the Plan B build look like? You'll have to watch and find out. But I'll give you some teasers..

• Starting Base : 1991 Mazda Navajo JX 4x4
  • SOHC - donor: 2000 Explorer Sport 4x2 103k
  • 5R55E - donor: 2008 Ranger FX4 45k
  • 1354 manual - still looking for
  • :sawzall: to smell the fresh air;)
  • Super Duty Axles - '99 F350 4x4 PSD
  • 40's - settling for 37's now
  • Grabber Blue
I think that should be enough to entice you all for now...

This is My Plan B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Availability for a Ford Ranger, Explorer Navajo windshield? Must be one of the most common windshields on the planet.

Windshield was going to go in today, and then the glass guy brought a windshield for a Cherokee on accident:crazy:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

We have glass again...

20200603_134948.jpg

Cool. I still need to get mine replaced. Looks like the A pillars are still straight. My passenger side pillar is bent slightly and they have to tape the windshield down on that side until the sealant dries.

Considering this truck has been on its side before from cj hill, it is surprising it's straight.

Already locked myself out of it when I rolled up the windows. Good thing I can just crawl through the back.

I think that one had the cage in it before it went on its side. Mine was on its side, then the cage went in.

I think that one had the cage in it before it went on its side. Mine was on its side, then the cage went in.

Same with JP went on it's side post cage, it helps keep it square. ;)

whats the deal with the hood gap? The body lines along the fender?

You should see the body lines on mine. They are all crooked due to body flex and a flop. That is a fiberglass hood and they don't usually line up very well, besides I don't think Stic-O cares that much.

whats the deal with the hood gap? The body lines along the fender?

It's a fiberglass hood, and the engine cage prevents it from sitting correct. I can go back to a stock hood, but then the engine is to tall. I need the scoop, just the fit the engine.

So in the end, I need to some trimming under the hood... :rolleyes:

Wait...I mean it's to let all the hot air out:D:dunno:

copy that fiberglass hood enough said
fitting glass parts is .........fun! Ive seen straighter lines on a map then some of these glass parts

I can relate

Friday night party..

20200612_233738.jpg

Hmmmmmmm:banghead:

that axle tube is bent!?!?!

No, just installing the tone ring, and thought it would be a cool picture looking across the housing..

Those are fun, the bearings that is. Before the slick tool everyone has now, to pull axle bearings took some thought and plenty of spare parts.

That axle probably is bent. The passengers side was seized in the housing last time I took it apart. I had to get creative to get it out.

That axle probably is bent. The passengers side was seized in the housing last time I took it apart. I had to get creative to get it out.

The passenger side, pulled out ok. Had to pry it out a bit, but nothing crazy. Going back in, I had to tap it in the last inch or so.

No worries, it's not staying under there in the long term.🤷‍♂️

The passenger side, pulled out ok. Had to pry it out a bit, but nothing crazy. Going back in, I had to tap it in the last inch or so.

No worries, it's not staying under there in the long term.🤷‍♂️

You're welcome. I must have fixed it for you :p

Safety Question.

I need to weld in these double sheer tabs for the rear seat belts. However, there is already a pivot point in the seat belt extension bracket. I don't think it's a good idea to have two pivot points on the top of the belt.

Do I

A. Weld the belt guide to the extension
B. Weld the double sheer to the extension ( I would think this defeats the purpose of the double sheer)
C. I'm over thinking it. Let people fall out if they are crazy enough to sit back there.

Thoughts?
20200825_182542.jpg

Back