Please help! 2002 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Collin09

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer v6
My 2002 explorer has a terrible rough idle and clanking sound. After its running a minute or 2 the RPM's level out just under 1000 but the clanking sound is still there. I'm getting lean codes p0171 and p0174 as well as misfire codes in all 6 cylinders. I've checked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner but couldn't find one, I also replaced the air filter. The noise didn't start til after a turned a turn kinda hard but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. Could it be the timing belt came loose?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info but I'm really hoping it's not it's not the timing chain. Is there anything else it could be that would give such a rough idle?

its the timing chain cassettes. Pop the valve covers to see the destruction, or pull the lower oil pan to find all the goodies scattered in it. Oil pan is a quick 10 minute pull.

its the timing chain cassettes. Pop the valve covers to see the destruction, or pull the lower oil pan to find all the goodies scattered in it. Oil pan is a quick 10 minute pull.

Thanks I'll try that. But would the timing chain cassettes be giving me lean codes? P0174 and p0171

Could a bad vacuum leak also be giving me a misfire in all cylinders? I've checked pcv hose already with carb cleaner and couldn't a leak. And how would I go about replacing the timing chain cassette? I'm not sure if I should try and do it myself or take it to the shop. Any more suggestions would be helpful

Buy an engine from a wrecker and drop it in. Much easier and cheaper.

Where are the valve covers located? Is popping the valve covers easier that pulling the lower oil pan? I would like to confirm the problem before I pay 2k for an engine

2 K is a deal. I was quoted 5 for the labor to do mine. Oil pain is much easier to remove. Drain the oil and pull the (I believe) 12 bolts and drop the pan.

The lean codes can come from something like a vacuum leak or MAF sensor, but those wouldn't explain the clanking sound you are describing.

2 K is a deal. I was quoted 5 for the labor to do mine. Oil pain is much easier to remove. Drain the oil and pull the (I believe) 12 bolts and drop the pan.

Thanks for the replies. I took all the bolts out but there's is still 4 small rubber plugs holding the oil pan on. How do those come off? Also, the noise is coming from whatever is connected to the serpentine belt just below the alternator. Does is still sound like the timing chain cassette? I'm no mechanic by any means so I need everyone to really dumb it down for me please. I really need this car running soon

That should be your belt tensioner. If you take the belt off and crank the engine for just a minute, do you hear the clanking? Don't run it more than a minute or so.

Those little rubber bumpers are part of your oil pan gasket, you also need to drop the front differential slightly down to remove the oil pan.

Also, the noise is coming from whatever is connected to the serpentine belt just below the alternator.

That should be your belt tensioner. If you take the belt off and crank the engine for just a minute, do you hear the clanking? Don't run it more than a minute or so.
Ditto plasticseng. This "may be" your luckiest repair EVER. Before proceeding any further with the oil pan, check if the tensioner spring or bearing has failed. If so, replace the tensioner, button up the oil pan, and add oil if needed. Now attack
the p0171/174 lean codes.

Signs of Belt Tensioner Failure

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2002,explorer,4.0l+v6,1377660,belt+drive,belt+tensioner,11659?a=Referer+www.google.com+URL+/

Back