Rearview Camera Problems | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
According to the following site, BB5Z-19G490-A is the correct camera for a 2011 Limited although it also shows it for 2012. Rear Camera - Ford (BB5Z-19G490-A) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear La
Part number EB5Z-19G490-A shows as being for the 2012 to 2015 Explorers although it also says it fits the 2011. Don't know what to tell you but I think here I'd go with the first one. Rear Camera - Ford (EB5Z-19G490-A) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear La

Peter
I figured out that I ordered the correct camera off Amazon (BB5Z) but they sent me the wrong camera (EB5Z)! So I'm going to be able to return the wrong one and get the correct one. I think I will try to configure it myself. Do I need to use Forscan version 2.3.15 beta 2018-05-16? Also, which do I need: a USB to OBD cable or USB to OBD2 cable? Thanks.

I'll let the members familiar with Forscan answer that part of your reply. Good luck and Season's Greetings.

Peter

I am about to order camera BB5Z-19G490-A to hopefully repair my 2011. There are a few online Ford part dealers with pricing in the $290 range. Has anyone ordered from one of the online options and received excellent service? My local dealer wants $506.27 for the part. The savings from ordering online is just too large so I am looking for a reputable option. Thanks in advance.

I payed $287 from Amazon and it works fine. Just be sure they send you the correct camera. That was a problem with my first order.

I am about to order camera BB5Z-19G490-A to hopefully repair my 2011. There are a few online Ford part dealers with pricing in the $290 range. Has anyone ordered from one of the online options and received excellent service? My local dealer wants $506.27 for the part. The savings from ordering online is just too large so I am looking for a reputable option. Thanks in advance.
I highly recommend Autonation Ford White Bear Lake. Have ordered parts from them a couple of times. This last time I ordered suspension parts and the bolts they sent were the ones that were indicated by the system, but were actually the incorrect ones. They verified the correct part number and sent me new ones, just told me to toss the incorrect ones. Returns of unopened items was also easy.

2013 Ford Explorer XLT, another victim of the backup camera acting weird. At first the image was really bad (a lot of lines), then went black with the message, sometimes the image would come back inverted (I would see the right side where the left is), sometimes it would look ok, without the parking assist lines and if I´m lucky it would work perfect. Took the camera off, cleaned the contacts and connector with contact cleaner, used dielectric grease. Did a reset of the parking module with Forscan (Don´t have the Rear Camera calibration option I see people mention). Camera worked fine for 15 min, after that it worked randomly wrong, it just cycles between black screen with message, image inverted, etc.I believe the module reset did something for a while, meanwhile the clean/grease did nothing. My guess is the camera, if it was the connection it would give only one type of error, not cycle between them. I´ll post my findings or if I find a solution.

My guess is a faulty/failing camera especially given the year of your Explorer. It seems the 2011/12 were the initial group to start experiencing issues.
As for the guideline, I found this post; Rearview Camera Problems Not sure if it helps.

Peter

My 2016 Explorer Platinum with front and rear cameras is at the Dealer right now with this problem. I get the famous 'Camera not available, see Dealer' window on the Sync screen and neither the front or rear cameras work. If I restart the car the cameras work again. I sure hope there is a error code set that they can read so something actually gets repaired.

Edit: With BOTH front and rear cameras not working when this happens it seems like the APIM would be the prime suspect, rather than having two cameras quit simultaneously, right? These cameras have the normal and wide-angle view, unlike the basic rear-only camera setup.

I'm starting to see this issue, but I never get a "see dealer" message. But maybe that's just a Sync 3 quirk.

Both my front and rear cameras are dead concurrently. Usually if I restart the APIM--things work. But, tonight I restarted more quickly than I usually do--and still, I was met with a black screen when in reverse. Front camera was just as useless. While backing up, randomly the camera did pop on.

@ExPlat, did you get any further with your vehicle?

I'm starting to see this issue, but I never get a "see dealer" message. But maybe that's just a Sync 3 quirk.

Both my front and rear cameras are dead concurrently. Usually if I restart the APIM--things work. But, tonight I restarted more quickly than I usually do--and still, I was met with a black screen when in reverse. Front camera was just as useless. While backing up, randomly the camera did pop on.

@ExPlat, did you get any further with your vehicle?

I believe this is another matter, chances of both cameras gone bad at the same time is close to zero. Maybe take it to the dealer for an evaluation? Is your warranty expired?

I have ESP, but it's too intermittent right now to have them actually find anything. Hoping to self-cure this myself if I can, honestly...

Replaced the camera with a new and updated one from online dealer (EB5Z-19G490-A), repogramed it with Forscan, wroking perfect.

Hi Everyone, I purchased a used 2016 Explorer Sport and got the dreaded "Camera unavailable" message after only owning it for a few weeks. It doesn't come with a warranty and after reading some responses I tried to reset the system, turn on and off the gridlines, then I finally I replaced the camera today with one I purchased off of amazon and it still didn't work. I'm guessing it could be something to do with the electrical connectors or wire harness loose in the car but i'm not sure where I could find something on the different connections I need to check. Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is my first post on this forum so please be gentle with your response :)

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
When a camera is replaced it has to be programmed to the vehicle. This can be done by the dealer using IDS or you can do it with Forscan. A program that allows you to change/modify certain factory settings. In your case it may be a problem with the camera. What was the part number? This seems to be the camera; Camera - Parking - Ford (GB5Z-19G490-C) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear La

Peter

Hi Everyone, I purchased a used 2016 Explorer Sport and got the dreaded "Camera unavailable" message after only owning it for a few weeks. It doesn't come with a warranty and after reading some responses I tried to reset the system, turn on and off the gridlines, then I finally I replaced the camera today with one I purchased off of amazon and it still didn't work. I'm guessing it could be something to do with the electrical connectors or wire harness loose in the car but i'm not sure where I could find something on the different connections I need to check. Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is my first post on this forum so please be gentle with your response :)

Did you buy a Motorcraft camera? Which part number?

So we've had warmer weather the past week or so--my cameras have worked flawlessly.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Explorer is getting ready to kill battery number #3, and the cameras going down has more to do with a momentarily low voltage situation more than anything else. I don't have any codes to support that, but I also can't rationalize why the cameras would have issues only for certain times in the extreme cold before coming alive.

Replaced the camera with a new and updated one from online dealer (EB5Z-19G490-A), repogramed it with Forscan, wroking perfect.

HI, I just bought the EB5Z-19G490-A to replace my camera in the 2013 Limited as well. I also bought an OBD2 Bluetooth and will download FORSCAN when they get here.

Do you mind telling me which version on Forscan you used and what was the name of the file I should be looking for and running?

Did you buy a Motorcraft camera? Which part number?

I bought one on amazon and it said it was the correct part number and fit. I’m returning it because I got it to 9% and it would fail trying to program it. I just ordered from a genuine ford oem parts dealer online and will try that next week.

I did notice that it looks like the trim was a little loose fit so I’m concerned about water getting in and causing problems. If that’s the case, does anyone have any recommendations for what to do in that scenario?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HI, I just bought the EB5Z-19G490-A to replace my camera in the 2013 Limited as well. I also bought an OBD2 Bluetooth and will download FORSCAN when they get here.

Do you mind telling me which version on Forscan you used and what was the name of the file I should be looking for and running?
Hello

I used the latest version from the website. The function is on the left, the wrench, then select BdyCM Rear Camera Calibration. In my 2013 XLT I couldn't find that option, instead I did a reset of a module, I can't quite remember, I think it was PAM or parking assist module reset. I can check tomorrow, i have to connect the Forscan to the truck.

Back