Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS | Page 82 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS

So seeing as spring is just around the corner, I thought I'd start a thread on the future undertaking of swapping in the Dana 60.

The axle is from a 1986 "Fawwd" F-threee "fitty", sporting some kingpins and a whole lot of rust. I took this axle apart a few months ago (except stupid me didnt remove the pinion nut before breakdown :rolleyes:) and had it hot tanked. I wanted it sandblasted, but the machine shop owner smirked and said "naaah yo, that junx is too big for my blasting cabinet" .. okay except he didn't really say that cauz he's old and a really cool guy. ANyways *twirls blonde hair*, this is my plaannn:

- WMS-WMS this axle is just a bit over 69" wide so I'm going to cut the passenger's side down a few inches to match 'ye ol General Motors 14-bolt axle. So this is going to require custom axle shafts and I think I'm going to go Chromos and 35-spline outers off the bat from the most awesome guys at Complete Off Road.

- Drive flange or lockouts? They are about the same in price and its a dedicated trail rig so I'm leaning towards the drive flanges. Right now, the cheapest flanges I found are the Teraflexes at $180 for a pair. If anyone knows of a better deal, please let me know :D !!

- High-steer arms and a double-ended hydroponics goodness ("cylinder").

- Opposite-ended panhard bar! The idea is to mount the chassis end of the panhard on the passenger's side frame rail and the axle end on the driver's side. Doing so should allow a more simple and cleaner design since the axle-mount can be mounted on top of or near the differential housing, instead of a tower on the passenger's side (like in my current D44 setup). I also plan to boost the panhard as far up as possible to increase the roll center of the front suspension. Yeah the concept is a little strange but I'm hoping it'll work and won't have any issues (no drag-link to factor into the design). But if anyone knows of any problem running this config, please chime in!

*EDIT*
- Detoit Locker for the carrier. I'm please with how the Detroit in the 14-bolt has performed so I figured I'd run the same in the front. Of course 5.13s to match the 14-bolt.

So here's the little guy, he's been in this position for the past few months just collecting dust:

DSC000871.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now now guys, lets all meet at the local bakery and talk this over a chunk of layered chocolate cake.

Died-and-Gone-to-Heaven%20Chocolate%20Layer%20Cake.jpg

I have to admit, until I finished reading all the posts, I was a little freaked out too. I don't like the idea of sitting next to a gas tank, but if you thing about it; any compact car, the rear passengers are sitting on top of the gas tank.

MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............Cake

I did not look at this thread since the last time someone posted (a few days I think) and its two pages longer. Come'on Izzzzz..........finish this up so we can see if it actually works.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Time to update the title since it is now 82 pages long

why is this not done yet?
I think because it is not perfect. VVOVV IZ. You have a woman in your life, buddy? It might be time...

IZ, unless the laws of physics has changed, and gas does not pour in and out, it may, I repeat, it may just work ;)

Or you can try this "Old SchooL" trick and hold it up to a light bulb and see if you can see the light through it.
When will it make it's maiden run, complete with the slamming of the Moet Chandone up aginst the hull?

Thanks guys. Not sure when the maiden run is supposed to be - it keeps slipping ;).

Made a supporting floor for the tank from composite fabric (carbon and kevlar) and Nomex honeycomb for the core (to "stiffen" it). The materials:
composites.jpg

The bottom layers (3 kevlar, 1 carbon) epoxied and the honeycomb on top.
nomex.jpg

After the top layers were on, two flat pieces of polyethylene were used as a sandwich while curing (overnight):
sandwiched.jpg

Final piece trimmed. Top:
tankfloor_top.jpg

Bottom:
tankfloor_bottom.jpg

Then worked on the strap:
ratchetstrap_3.jpg

Front anchor with a 1/2" shoulder bolt:
ratchetstrap_2.jpg

Ratchet end on the back:
ratchetstrap_1.jpg

And then started on the transmission shifter, the vertical part will but cut off just above the elbow and replaced with aluminum for the final product. I'm not 100% happy with it because the shift plane isnt flat (the shifter rises as you go from gear 1-3-5 because of the offset) but it'll work for now. The idea is to keep the shifter close to the steering wheel, much like the WRC cars, for faster hand transition between steering wheel and shifter.

shifter_1.jpg

Driver's view with the shifter in the Neutral position between 1st gear and 2nd gear:
shifter_2.jpg

Can't wait to see this thing in truckhaven!

Didn't you ever study fashion? You're not supposed to wear socks with sandals! :)

Ahaha! Nit picking! :p:

Throughout the spring and summer, I've been fabricating in shorts and sandals because I didn't have to do much of heavy fabrication - which is more comfortable (and the more comfortable you are, the better the welds). And TIG welding is super clean so no spatter and no sparks to worry about. As for the socks, I had to run to the store so I wore shoes and never took the socks off when I switched back to sandals.

Ive been known to FCAW in flip flops. "Why is he dancing?"

:D

it's all about the fab, not footwear,,

Carry On IZ,,,

So what is the link for laying on top of the Motor ?

Standard practice for Islanders, Matt. :D
Hehe yeah that's so true.

So what is the link for laying on top of the Motor ?
It's the front panhard bar - removed it for mounting the hydraulic pump and reservoir but never bothered to put it back (its waiting to slide off of the vehicle and pierce the top of my head).

You should make the maiden voyage like 3 years from now so that I can come with my truck......:D

Back