Started the blackout process | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Started the blackout process

bigwheel15

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
Im in the process of blacking out the explorer, started with the headlights. I know you can buy them off ebay but hell for the cost of tape and a little time I think they came out pretty good. What you guys think?

Before:

01-25-10_1709.jpg

After:

03-18-10_2048.jpg

03-23-10_1833.jpg

03-23-10_1832.jpg

03-23-10_1834.jpg

Gonna just buy a set of blacked out corners, the right side is cracked anyways.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Paint the bumpers and fenders black!!!

Dont forget the smoked tail lights!

A nice black grill would look good as well.

Lookin good so far, im slowly murdering mine out too :D (Mines a 2nd gen though)

Looking good!!! Funny thing is that there's a murdered out Chevy truck in the backgroud:D

Looking good, is there a write up on the site about painting headlights like this? I am interested

The lights look really good man. I have been thinking about painting mine and the weather is finally starting to warm up so I think I am finally going to do it. How long and at what temp did you bake them and what type of adhesive did you use to seal them back up?

Looking good, is there a write up on the site about painting headlights like this? I am interested

I believe there is a thread showing some on how to do it but really its simple.

1. Remove headlight

2. Remove bulbs and clips(4) around the headlamp assembly holding the clear lens and the housing itself together.

3. Take a flathead screwdriver and lightly pry around the lens and the housing slowly to separate the two. (If you cant seem to get the two apart pop it in the oven at 300 for a few minutes to help soften the glue.)

4. Tape off any exposed areas you dont want painted.

5. Apply paint and let dry.

6. Apply a bead of silicone caulk around the entire headlamp assembly. (Make sure to do a good job on this, you want to avoid getting water and/or condensation in your freshly painted headlamp).

7. Firmly press the clear lens back on the housing.

8. Snap the clips back in place around the lamp.

9. Install your new headlamp and enjoy.

Hope that helps to those wondering the steps. Its really a simple process.

The lights look really good man. I have been thinking about painting mine and the weather is finally starting to warm up so I think I am finally going to do it. How long and at what temp did you bake them and what type of adhesive did you use to seal them back up?

I set mine on 300 for about 10-15 minutes after preheating of course. You might be able to get them apart simply by prying around the perimeter of the light with a flathead.

As for the adhesive, any silicone sealant will work, I used GE silicone scs1000 as thats what I had on hand.

Sweet thanks man I think I will give it a shot on my next day off(Monday). I also just ordered some JDM black corners off ebay for $30 as I dont want to hassle with painting the corners.

Sweet thanks man I think I will give it a shot on my next day off(Monday). I also just ordered some JDM black corners off ebay for $30 as I dont want to hassle with painting the corners.

Good stuff, post pictures if you get a chance! And ya im planning to order a set of black corners too, figure for $30 I cant go wrong and my passenger side corner is broken anyways.

Lemme know the quality of those corners too.

Looks good! Can't wait to see it with the black fenders and the blacked corners too.

looks good so far keep up good work

I know this is useless without pics, but I painted my headlights yesturday and installed the JDM corners. There was no baking neccessary to remove the lens, I just lightly pryed around the peremiter with a small flat head screwdriver and the lens popped right off. They turned out great but the lens' are really faded and yellowed so I just ordered a 3m headlight restoration kit so hopefully that will fix them. I will try and get some pics tonight or tomorrow.

Well sweet Tyler, looks like I will be headed to your house soon to do my lights:D I actually cleaned the Ex up the other day and repainted the grill because it was chipping. Of course it had to freaking rain just after, but she got another bath today;)

I'm doing this to my EB this week... The question is, High temp paint? Gloss or flat?

Be careful installing the corners. I was installing mine and hit a snag so I pushed them a little and whoops. Broke off the top fin that holds the screw. Not too bad. I just did a ghetto style repair job with a large washer under the screw to still hold the light in place. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks sweet man,
you got some crazy wheels !!!

Back