ExplorerBus I's 1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ExplorerBus I's 1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L AWD

Purchased last weekend from a guy I've known through the Dodge Intrepid forums for 6 or 7 years. He put a new battery in it, changed the oil & filter, and drove it 500 miles to my house from Hartford, CT last Saturday. In exchange I gave him $2,300 and a ride to the airport.

This week I've replaced the upper & lower ball joints and rear brakes. Other than that, just need to replace the leaf springs (has the left rear sag).

123k miles on the clock but runs and drives like new. Doesn't look too bad either!

ry%3D320.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a good deal for that explorer! Have any plans for it, or leaving it as is?

That's a good deal for that explorer! Have any plans for it, or leaving it as is?

Thanks! No major plans... just front window tint, some Flows, ventshades and a bug deflector probably. We're going to be moving out into the country where there's no winter road maintenance and our son is big into ice hockey which requires a lot of travel with bulky equipment bags. So I've decided to sell my '00 Grand Prix GT and get into this Explorer.

For Sale!

HPIM3504.jpg

The wife has an '01 Durango, but we try to refrain from stacking the miles on it. Currently has just shy of 70k...

HPIM3854.jpg

those are nice lookin rides and nice explorer is ur pontiac the superchargerd or no.

I like those rides a lot my friends uncle has one and its supercharged and it has flowmasters on it and sounds mean.

and about ur pontiac is there any mods done to it or is it just plain stock.

those are nice lookin rides and nice explorer is ur pontiac the superchargerd or no.

I like those rides a lot my friends uncle has one and its supercharged and it has flowmasters on it and sounds mean.

and about ur pontiac is there any mods done to it or is it just plain stock.

Thanks for the comments... the GP is just a GT, no supercharger. Still a great runner with the 3.8L. I have Magnaflow mufflers on mine, sounds pretty throaty. The motor is bone stock, just a few visual mods on the car as seen in the pic.

how much r u sellin the pontiac for i might be interested maybe i will buy it for my gf and suprise her.

and how much mileage is on the pontiac as well

There you go sam, I've merged your replies.

And let me know what the shipping comes out to be from PA to CA, cauz my brother's Samurai came out to be about $1k shipped. If you get a better price, I might just ship my Explorer out there!

explorerbus is that hids on ur explorer

explorerbus is that hids on ur explorer

Absolutely not. Just some different bulbs the previous owner put in. I'll have to ask him what exactly they are, because I like them!

Absolutely not. Just some different bulbs the previous owner put in. I'll have to ask him what exactly they are, because I like them!

Luminic Hyper whites

You and my wife both disagree but I still hate the light output of those bulbs

For the record my wife was the last owner, I bought those bulbs for my Mustang GT, hated them, put them in the Explorer, wife loved them so much she wouldn't let me rip them out.

Luminic Hyper whites

You and my wife both disagree but I still hate the light output of those bulbs

For the record my wife was the last owner, I bought those bulbs for my Mustang GT, hated them, put them in the Explorer, wife loved them so much she wouldn't let me rip them out.

Ah, there he is. Thanks, Joe!!! :D

Parts are en route from LMC. Hopefully by this time next week the X will have a different stance! Pics to follow...

Leaf spring assemblies and related parts arrived yesterday from LMC. Still awaiting the Warrior shackles from Desert Rat (which I ordered a few days earlier). Planning to have everything installed by Tuesday night...

I tried those lumics bulbs and couldn't see a thing w/ them. I'm partial to the silverstar ultras..nice truck too..It's a lot like mine..

I tried those lumics bulbs and couldn't see a thing w/ them. I'm partial to the silverstar ultras..nice truck too..It's a lot like mine..

Thanks... do you have a registry where I can check out your ride?

I gave up on the Silverstars a while ago... couldn't get more than 6 months out of them.

I don't have a registry since it's just a stock explorer. I've heard of a lot of guys complaining about the bulbs blowing after 6 mos but I've always used silverstars and NEVER had to replace them.

Installed new KYB GR2's on the rear last night, along with a set of in-channel vent visors. The whole rear half of the truck is pretty much new now... leafs, shackles, shocks, brakes. Tonight going to try some torsion bar adjustments to level out the ride height and then Thursday it's getting an alignment. Hopefully that will be it (for now), aside from a good detail one of these days. :D

Back