swapping 1998 V8/4R70W/4406 into 1999 SOHC 2wd | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

swapping 1998 V8/4R70W/4406 into 1999 SOHC 2wd

Spent a few hours at the JY on half-off day. I got the following g parts:

4 wheels and tires, 2 hub caps
Front diff, axles, and 4wd knuckles
5.0l Throttle body, bracket and plastic cover

By the website, it was $436 worth. But by the receipt he gave me, I bought a rear axle without brakes and 4 wheels/tires and it was a total of about $178.

The sad part is a lot of the price I paid was shown as core charge. This salvage yard is owned by the biggest recycling facility in town. So if they can’t crush a hatch that would get 1.50 in scrap price, the customer is going to pay them $10. Seems like a four letter word that starts with R. Which is exactly why I do go to this particular yard very often. What’s the justification for a $10 core charge on a steering knuckle? Yet that’s QSL hat they price list shows.

Any how. A decent day!

View attachment 443536
View attachment 443537
Does that four letter word make you feel like Jodie Foster in the accused? I've been watching this thread, great progress!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does that four letter word make you feel like Jodie Foster in the accused? I've been watching this thread, great progress!
I'm not familiar with that movie right off the top of my head. Perhaps I should look it up tonight and watch it with the wife???

I'm looking around on Amazon and other more affordable sites for tires to fit these 16" wheels. The tires i've got on it now are nearing the end of their life. Still a few miles left, but they're 6 years old now.

I'm not familiar with that movie right off the top of my head. Perhaps I should look it up tonight and watch it with the wife???

I'm looking around on Amazon and other more affordable sites for tires to fit these 16" wheels. The tires i've got on it now are nearing the end of their life. Still a few miles left, but they're 6 years old now.
Great classic movie. You'll instantly know the scene I'm referring to once you watch it.

Well, not many pics but the body is back on the frame. Had to cut the tabs off the t case like most have to do. Then clearances the body a bit. Pics probably don’t do justice.

IMG_5654.jpeg

IMG_5657.jpeg

IMG_5655.jpeg

IMG_5656.jpeg

IMG_5658.jpeg

So this morning I went to get everything wrapped up. I’ve had a radiator I bought many years ago that I thought was for a 5.0 explorer. TYC 4045. Now I can’t find that number anywhere. The v8 fan shroud does NOT fit it. So a new radiator on the way.

I started to reprogram the gem/pats, but FORScan showed the battery to be at 6v and I did t have a multimeter with me to check it. Rain was coming soon anyway, so I pulled the battery off, put all the tools up and out of the rain and came home.

And I also learned I have to change the shift cable. Really small, lowercase yay.

shift cables are fun...

Heres a question. Can I just cut this heat sleeve back so the original cable will fit in the mounting bracket on the transmission? Rockauto is only showing one length of cable which leads me to believe they’re all the same. As it is the sleeve and that firewall mount thingy won’t let the stuff on the bottom end of the shift cable slide far enough up to snap into the mount on the transmission.

IMG_5668.jpeg

Well the two transmissions v6 and v8 use the same column shifter and therefore have the same “throw” the difference between v6 and v8 cables is the bracket that retains them to the transmission
Many times I have just cut off the v8 cable retainer and weld on the end of the v6 cable retainer.. this way no cable swap is needed and if you dont have a v8 cable you are not dead in the water

Changing out the shift cable is not a terrible job either if you are familiar with the dash and steering column you can have them swapped in 20-30 minutes

I probably did it (the shift cable) the hard way...

Is there a difference between the SOHC fan clutch and 5.0 clutch? It’s not fitting.
IMG_5691.jpeg

IMG_5692.jpeg

Huge difference yes
The 5.0 fan clutch sucks the fan much closer to the engine they are also different threads

Found the right fan/clutch from the white explorer. but now what about the fan shroud? The shroud that came with the white one looks just like the one that came off the sohc.

Use the 5.0 shroud
They maybe the same part?

OK. the V8 shroud is not as deep as the sohc. same basic part number, but the year and last two letters were different in them. Once I had the right one, the fan went on like a dream. Working on programming PATS now.

Are the threads on the water pump the same between the 4.0 and 5.0?

I have to say mine were. I had the fan tight on the pump and the shroud in the hole just hoping the radiator would drop in, but it didn't. So I pulled the fan and shroud, put the radiator in, then started fighting the shroud. THEN found there wasn't enough room for sohc fan clutch.

Also, the old fan needs to be replaced, but for now, I need to get it running! PATS is killing me right now. ugh.

I CANNOT for the life of me get two keys to store in the system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you delete all keys first? Are you using FORScan?

Back