Truck is down! Need help with band adjustment problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck is down! Need help with band adjustment problem.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Okay guys, I really need a helping hand here with this one.

I was just attempting to do the band adjustment on the 94 A4LD as 2nd gear was slipping. This is the only gear that has problems. Trans has 215k on it, and has had a fluid/filter change (not flush) recently. Never shown any problems until yesterday.

I started with the band adjustment and then was going to check the Modulator afterwards, but ran into a problem.

1st, I backed out the torq nut while holding the stud still.
2nd, I set the 1/4" torq wrench to 120"lbs and began to tighten.

Here is where the problem is. The click on the wrench never happened and the stud just kept going. It had a little resistance to begin with, then, it clicked. I thought it was the wrench at first, but it wasn't. The stud now has no resistance and I can finger tighten it all the way in until the nut bottoms out flush and backed off all the way on the stud. I did hear a feint click inside like I heard the band slap on the drum when I backed the stud off a bit and threaded it back in by hand.

So........Did the metal block part that the stud push's on the inside fall off and drop into the pan?

Is the band broken, and if it is, can I tell by dropping the pan or does the valve body need to come off to see?

I'm stuck right now and needing to get to work, important appointments, etc... Any advice of what to do here is appreciated, Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dropped the pan and can see what looks like the clip(?) on the end is broken. :(

Does the trans have to be removed and the bell housing off to get to the bands?

I was told by a retired mechanic that he used to install a 2 pc replacement band for these when they broke w/o having to drop the trans. He also stated that was on C-4 & C-6 tho, and not sure about the A4LD.

Ok, never mind, it has to be removed and torn down to get to that band, as the 2 pc wont work for the A4LD.

I am pulling the trans now. :(

Thanks for the help anyways.

don't forget the torque converter nuts--do you have help?

For yanking it out, no. I am on my own here. I will get those convertor nuts and replace em with new when the time comes to reinstall it. I could use a hand with it tho, thats for sure. I have no trans jack anymore :rolleyes:

You could get to the overdrive band after you remove the bell housing. If the intermediate band is broken, then it's a tough job which requires going a lot deeper into the transmission (rebuild time).

Great.

Yuppers, it's the intermediate band that's broken. It's never the easy way for anything I do it seems.

Only options I have are rebuilding it myself, or getting a used one from a JY, on CL, or buy a parts donor rig. $$ constraints does not allow for a full on shop rebuild right now.

Back