Turbo 4 Conversion, The Nasty Hoe Gets Blown! | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo 4 Conversion, The Nasty Hoe Gets Blown!

That's right, I couldn't keep it under wraps any longer, and so the first stage of the conversion and re-vamp of the whole truck begins.

In short, which I'll go into detail once I get back to labratory this evening is:

Complete front clip transformataion in sheet metal work, including custom fenders and hood, front bumper w/winch and lights.

Slick roof line.

Complete drivetrain conversion (from engine, tranny to transfer case) and custom wiring harness.

Super soft 6.5" Rock Crawler front spring and hiem joints on the adjustable extended radius arms.

With 5.13's front a rear with already existing Lincoln Locker out back and LSD clutch style modified in the front.

Although there are about 80% of the parts already collected, there are still a few more to obtain and or fabricate up to make this happen, I will go through and document and keep you filled in on ever aspect of this adventure as I plug away at it, this will take some time, and the buget is nill, but when I get back and fill you in on how I got some of the existing stuff, and how I plan on working the rest of it, you'll see than anyone on any buget can do this to.

I hope you all will enjoy this, and although this was way more premature of a posting that I wanted to do, it was like waiting for Santa to show on X-Mas.

If you don't know what's already been done to my truck you can click the link "My Junk" below in my sig, and this will be the next exciting phase in it's evolution.

If you have questions, lemme be the first to say, "PLASE ASK"

Jeff - :navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the poweraid is just some weird joke of his, I saw plenty of shiner bock being consumed on the live webcam feed.
We were already done working on the vehicle. And the Powerades were necessary to replace the dripping sweat coming off our bodies. It's been really humid here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Open for suggestions"

Anyone want to give me a good definitive reason as to why I shouldn't use a large A/C condenser for a transmission cooler???!!!!

Dr. SVO phd

I've seen it done will no ill affects.

Personally, I'd use a nice big 1" thick trans cooler so it would block less air (covers less area). I'm talking one of those 40k btu coolers from tru-cool. I'm using one of those as the only cooler on a the van with a c6 (non lockup) and even going up pretty big hills at 55mph when loaded to 13k lbs it stays cool (cooler than my 700r4 in the explorer) at around 140F-150F in 80F weather.

~Mark

"Open for suggestions"

Anyone want to give me a good definitive reason as to why I shouldn't use a large A/C condenser for a transmission cooler???!!!!

Dr. SVO phd
Reduced flow rate resulting in great pressure losses on return line.

But yea, ive seen them work just fine AFAIK. :p:

A thin cooler with the same internal volume will cool better, and restrict less air going through it. I've thought an AC condenser would work great, if the inlet/outlet sizes are at least 3/8".

Reduced flow rate resulting in great pressure losses on return line.

But yea, ive seen them work just fine AFAIK. :p:

But if the system is sealed, and the tubes are 5/16" I don't see where the flow rate would drop.

If I thought, that the tube were smaller/necked down, then yes I could see a flow restriction.

Remember, "Budget" is the key work, I really can't spend any monies on this project, so using what I have is kind of imperrative.

I have the A/C condenser from the Turbo Coupe ( will taKE PICTURES ) and it pretty honk'n huge.

Figured this would make a great cooler, seeing as though the transmission is the weak link in the drivetrain, so anything I can do to keep that puppy cool would be a great thing.

The other nice thing is it uses the spring lock fittings like the fuel lines, si I can use AN fittings and hose.

EDIT:

Like Mark was talking about air flow, please remember in the evaluation of this, there is no A/C on this truck so the A/C condenser (original) will be taking the place of the A/C condenser (turbo coupe) (oh yeah that made a lot of sence)

I really think it will work- you asked for a definitive reason why you shouldnt use it and i gave you one. :D That's one reason not to use it, along with 5-6 other reasons listed why you should use it.

6 for and only 1 against- id say use the damn thing. :p:

I really dont think the pressure drop issue is that big of a deal... especially if its got 5/16" inand outlets. The bigger the tube and fin type cooler you use the more return pressure will be less than inlet pressure. This is just from the friction of the fluid being forced through the lines and the cooler itself. Im really just nit picking, i think it will work great... i know of 2 guys doing this same thing one on a dirt track car and the other on a C4 in an early Bronco trail rig.

... and you are talking to the king of brokeness, parts swapping, dig it out of the weeds and clean it up guy who has like $5 in his entire truck, $4 of that being paint. :p: You know i dig **** like this.

So what's up with this thing? I've been learning about 2.3 turbos a little bit (mostly on the merkur xr4ti) I want to see how this swap pans out. How well it works on the trails. I'd love to do the same and take weight off the front....

When's the volvo head going on and the twin turbo?

From what I heard its on the back burner.. the Ghia and other SVOC projects are taking priority like Lori's Reaper that has a iron defiency issue that has been resolved with eating bumpers & hitches constantly.

From what I heard its on the back burner.. the Ghia and other SVOC projects are taking priority like Lori's Reaper that has a iron defiency issue that has been resolved with eating bumpers & hitches constantly.

I figured. That's how most projects have been in the last few years. I wonder what that last part means about eating hitches :scratch:

I figured. That's how most projects have been in the last few years. I wonder what that last part means about eating hitches :scratch:

Her stang had its bumpers replaced more times than a Nascar rig :D

Back