• Register Today It's free!

Urgent Question

SladeR35

Reaction score
City, State
Altus, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
I have a 1998 Ford Explorer 5.0L that I have been in the process of swapping into a 1998 ranger. We have stumbled onto the PATS problem. I am looking for a schematic diagram. Also would it be possible to dissect just the wires that send and receive codes to run the engine and leave the wires that have no part in the actual code running to the computer? Or does anybody know of the best practices for removing a whole pats wiring from the loom?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pats must be programmed out of the computer you can remove all of it and your vehicle will not start without a tune

No way around it

You can’t just bypass it, that’s the whole point. It should flash a code. If you’re running a mismatched key to the computer, you’ll need to have a mobile locksmith add the key, or do it through FORScan and a laptop.

The best solution is to always swap over everything PATS related from the original car.

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer 5.0L that I have been in the process of swapping into a 1998 ranger. We have stumbled onto the PATS problem. I am looking for a schematic diagram. Also would it be possible to dissect just the wires that send and receive codes to run the engine and leave the wires that have no part in the actual code running to the computer? Or does anybody know of the best practices for removing a whole pats wiring from the loom?

thanks

Welcome, and no, sorry, the PATS is built into the PCM starting in 1998. The 98+ computer requires the PATS code to be received by it, before it will allow the engine to start.

You can wire in the PATS module and wiring etc, plus use a good PATS key and receiver from the donor vehicle. Or you can pay extra to program out the PATS.

The last possibility is to use a late 1997 Explorer 302 PCM, and some rewiring(and a DTRS sensor for e 1997 trans etc) to mate the several different wires of the 98 wiring versus the 97 wiring. The late 97 PCM is the best to use for EFI SBF's in non Explorers.

There are wiring diagrams linked in my sig below. As others have already stated, no wiring change alone will remove PATS.

You could take a chip from a key that is already programmed in, duct tape it to the middle of the halo ring transceiver that normally mounts in the steering column around the ignition cylinder, and mount that elsewhere, with shorter wires to the PCM to reduce clutter.

Considering you are just now doing this engine swap, and probably want to get a few years out of it, I would instead find a tuner who will flash a non-PATS firmware to the PCM. I don't know who is currently the most reliable, trustworthy, fast-turnaround, etc person offering this service, but here's one on ebay for $100 plus shipping. I've never seen it cheaper than this, but I haven't looked very much either:

Back