Warrior 153 shackles install with pics | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warrior 153 shackles install with pics

not too sure they're pretty close though; but you can always just add length in and make the support peice either bigger or add a second one right? sorry about the delay on the response

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport and am in the process of getting all the parts needed to do the Warrior shackle lift along with the torcion bar lift and I was wondering if I need to take my car to a shop to have the Torcion bar lift done or is that something I could do at home?

Really nice job with the pictures and easy to follow how to steps. I hope to do the same to my 1994 exp. What problems with allignment have you had since adding the 2'' springs in the front?
Mike

i have the warrior shackles sitting in the garage and im wondering if i need new bushings. they look to be dry rotted and unusable but i cant find just bushings anywhere locally or online. any help on where to get new polyeurathane bushings? i have a 98 explorer, thanks

Bushings:

i have the warrior shackles sitting in the garage and im wondering if i need new bushings. they look to be dry rotted and unusable but i cant find just bushings anywhere locally or online. any help on where to get new polyeurathane bushings? i have a 98 explorer, thanks

I just did a search on Google for Ford Explorer Bushing kit. That pretty much brings you to this site at times, I read the info, take down brand names, and then head back to Google. I use the combination of words to search on Google Shopping, and eventually you'll find what your looking for. I bought a whole poly bushing kit for around $115 if I remember right, but since have seen cheaper kits. My kit included all the bushings and it was a great deal (including the shackle bushing your looking for).

Okay I've read all i can on this... and I cant figure out what the lift spring is. I have a feeling those are the springs on the front wheels right? And those would make a smoother ride I hear. But what am I looking for to buy these? Am i looking for a certain size or something??

I have a 2nd gen 4.0 explorer

przybysz reply:

Okay I've read all i can on this... and I cant figure out what the lift spring is. I have a feeling those are the springs on the front wheels right? And those would make a smoother ride I hear. But what am I looking for to buy these? Am i looking for a certain size or something??

I'm no expert, but I can speak from experience? Ok, most Ford suspensions are weak at some point due to wear. With that said, they are also difficult to work on because of their geometry. If you want to lift it, then I suggest buying the 'whole' kit option as apposed to just springs frankly. I just did a spring only, and then spend $alot on an alignment (about $350). Its common though as it takes two $50 parts for the chamber, alignment fee, and labor charge for 3+ hours. Get the whole kit and you may be able to get away with the $50 chamber pieces. I've read some also never needed these with a 2'' spring lift, but I needed them. Also, it will increase stress on certain parts lifting, full kit or not. Consider U-joints, bushings, ball joints also will be exposed on a vehicle more than 10 years old. Takes $ to work on older cars, but I find they return that cash ten fold if taken care of.
Hopes this helps?

Part of your confusion is you have a 2nd Gen explorer. That means you don't have "springs" in the conventional sense. You have a torsion bar from suspension. Its a bar under torsional stress that acts like a spring.

The Warrior 153 shackles are for the rear springs. They change/lower one of the mounting positions of the spring which in turn lifts the rear of the truck. Roughly for every 1" you drop one mount you gain 1/2 of lift.

Look up Torsion Twist in the lift section.. That should help clear up some confusion about your front springs.

~Mark

Uh, wanted to put on different shackles today but the bolt going through the frame would just not budge! It was maddening to no end.

Awesome. Thank you so muck buffy and Maniak. That helped a bunch :D

Before I start on the install I would like to say that PB Blaster is our friend, and should be used liberally days prior to any work.

100_0110.jpg

I started by gathering all the stuff I thought i might need, this included a 1/2" drive ratchet, socket, the new shackles, blue loc-tite, a cheater bar, bottle jack, the new hardware, and a med. size flat head screwdriver. not pictured are the jack and jack stands that i already had under the truck and a 3 lb mini sledge that i used to tap out the bolts.

Last week I sprayed down all the bolts and nuts with PB Blaster and went out this morning and soaked them down again. After jacking the truck up, placing jack stands under the frame, and removing the wheels I placed a jack under the U-bolt perch to hold up the rear end.

100_0117.jpg

Next I loosened the nuts on the stock shackle bolts but did not remove them so that I could tap them out with a hammer w/out damaging the threads in case I needed the bolts later on.

100_0113.jpg

100_0112.jpg

I tapped out the bottom bolt first and then the top. Do not be surprised if the spring jumps up slightly after removing the bottom bolt. Next I victoriously removed the old stock shackle and was left with this.

100_0114.jpg

If you lay the old shackle next to a new one you can deffinetly see a difference in construction, strength and length.

100_0111.jpg

I attached the the upper part of the shackle first snugging the bolt and nut but not tightening it to allow for movement when aligning the bottom bolt hole and the spring.

100_0116.jpg

A bottle jack placed between the frame and the leaf pack makes it easy to align the spring and the shackle to fasten the bottom bolt and nut.

100_0115.jpg

After snugging the bottom bolt I went back and tightened the both the top and bottom. The instructions say to tighten to 35-45 ft lbs but not overtighten to the point that the sides of the shackle buckle or bow inward. You want to keep the sides parallel for the best strength and longer life of the shackle.

Here are a couple pictures of the finished product. Overall the time it took to install the shackles with basic hand tools was 30 mins. My dad was close by watching in case I did something unsafe. Use the buddy system.

100_0120.jpg

100_0119.jpg

This is my first write up with pictures, hope it is helpful if you are planning on installing the warrior shackles or any shackle for that matter. Before beginning this morning I called Rough Country and ordered front ext. coils that should be here in the next couple days. If all goes well and the rain stays away I will try to have a write up on those also.

I did the exact same lift, with the same shackles just last night, and my 97' ex is still at stock height, the shackle end of the leaf spring is almost arching upward, when the entire leaf SHOULD be arching downward, any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

sound like you leaf springs are worn out

what lift does that give you? and how did you get the bolts out so easy?

has anyone seen any lift shackles longer than the warrior 153's?

I found some shackles that are 1.5, 2 and 2.5 inches long. Would any of these be beneficial to my lift, esp since I'm pretty sure that my leaf springs are sagging a bit.

Would longer shocks also be beneficial?

I'm trying to get a warrior shackle lift but leave the front stock for a more aggressive slammed hood look. (and cuz i'm broke :) ). Does anyone have a picture of this?

Also more importantly i'm having trouble locating the Warrior shackles. can anyone point me in the direction of warrior or another good brand?
thanks and merry xmas

Is it going to matter that mine are installed upside down? From what I can see it will make no difference but I was curious what you guys thought.

For those of you looking for them I bought mine on amazon for $80 shipped.

IIRC the cross bar on the WAR-153 is in the middle. If it is, no it won't matter. IF it isn't, you need to make sure that it isn't going to hit the frame when the suspension is at full travel.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, it is definitely offset but not by much. From what I can see, on my explorer anyway, there will be no contact made with the frame. If anything, the shackle will hit the hitch first.

Back