My New, New 347 | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My New, New 347

I'm abandoning my old thread (My new 347), as the motor has been an epic fail for many reasons.
Against any sane reason, I'm trying again.

Post #1 is a thread with all parts for my own records. I'll keep adding to this as I have the time and know what parts are being used.

New (Used) unmolested factory block from Vroomzoomboom. Thanks Tim!
Eagle Forged 4340 Steel Crankshafts 430234705400 w ESP Armor coat option
Bullet Pistons BF6010-030 - 2618 Forged Flat top w TFS valve reliefs made for power adder applications
Rods -I beam Forged (From Old Motor)
King Pro Series Bearings
Michigan 77 SH1321 Cam Bearings
MEL10688 HV Oil Pump - Block and pump machined to fit under the stock oil pan
FEL-1133SD MLS head Gaskets
PAC-1207X LS Springs (Yes Tim, there is something Cheby going in to my Ford motor)
Comp Ultra gold 1.6 rockers (old build)
HRC911968 Howards link bar lifters
Comp Cam 35-775-8 proposed, may change after head flow number change 35-775-8 - XFI™ Stroker Hydraulic Roller Camshafts, Computer controlled (E.F.I.) with O.E. hydraulic roller cams 1985-95
rollmaster timing set (Hopefully re-usable from old build)
TW170 heads (old build) that will be ported and the chambers softened for boost
push rods: 5/16" with a length of 6.7" (old build)
ARP Head Studs (old build)
Torque converter CircleD SKU:30-09-19 11" 2800 stall triple disk lockup FORD 11" HP Series 4R70 Torque Converter
Trick Flow Track Heat intake (old build)
Cometic C5652-060 intake manifold gasket
ARP Oil Pump Driveshaft Kit 1 54-7904 (old build)
ARP Flexplate Bolt Kit 100-2901 (old build)
PCV Valve EV127A
header gasket remflex 3003

28oz Damper DamperDudes.net (Americas Largest supplier of harmonic balancers)-re-balanced by machinist to 0
28oz flex Plate 1830201 - Small Block Ford 289-351W 1963-1982, 28 oz Ext-bal, 164 Teeth -re-balanced by machinist to 0

Injector Clinic 650H 62lb injectors
Return style fuel pump canister installed in fuel tank (1998 Explorer)
Another 6an braided line added as a fuel return line
Aeromotive Stealth Electric Fuel Pump 11542 340lph
Aeromotive 13130 fuel regulator
Trick Flow TFS-5158000R fuel rails

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont care what you say. the moment you hear that thing come to life, your going to want it back in your truck ASFP!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I love the engine assembly, awesome.

Are you sure about the piston pockets though? They look bigger than 8.8cc's, I'd have guessed close to 20cc by looking at the large dish section. The large flat parts negate some of that, most pistons have more valve relief areas.

These are flat top pistons with twisted wedge valve reliefs
The engine builder measured 8.8 when he cc'd them. I'd say that's about right, as my other pistons had a 20cc dish, and I can tell the dish was way more volume than these valve reliefs in the new pistons.

Wen't black on the motor.
Was it the morbid, foul mood I was in, or was it the paint on hand?

Dimas expects to be on the engine dyno in two to three weeks. He's expecting around 500 peak hp on the engine dyno without turbo. This is with carb also.

As I said to Dimas, I am really interested in mid range numbers.
Also, having the timing numbers/RPM at max load will really help my wot tuning.

Block Black.jpg

We will see. And, if that's what we hit on the engine dyno, low boost will be all it takes.
I'm hoping the turbo spools early with the new motor.

Ok, this motor is all but together.

A few issues that came up.
1. I had over torqued a couple of the poly locks on the rocker studs, so all poly locks were replaced.
2. the oil filter to block 90 degree adapter needed new O rings that are not available anymore. Dimas found them locally.

Here's the motor spun up on straight 30w showing oil pressure. The motor is being spun by Dimas's cordless drill in the video, so that's got to be less than 300rpm (150rpm maybe?). And, the fact that the motor can be spun with just a cordless drill is really funny (Obviously no spark plugs).

347 with oil filter.jpg

You have gone this far why not do away with the factory filter mount and remote mount it under the bumper?

Just asking and watching.

Under the bumper isn't easy, as there's so much stuff there already (Intercooler, etc.)
Also, I just don't want the risk of more lines (I have so many already) running around that have even more potential of leaks.

End of the day, its just that much more risk of failure, when I have so many other risks already. Maybe if the motor ends up working fantastic and I'm looking for stuff to do i'll visit this again.

Understand that.

Nope.
I think he wants to run it on his other simulator overnight, and look for issues. Then I'm guessing he will be calling Sandale and looking for a day to beat the heck out of it on the dyno.

You will be the first person I let know when I have a date. I do know it will be about 5:30pm though.

Ok, this motor is all but together.

A few issues that came up.
1. I had over torqued a couple of the poly locks on the rocker studs, so all poly locks were replaced.
2. the oil filter to block 90 degree adapter needed new O rings that are not available anymore. Dimas found them locally.

Here's the motor spun up on straight 30w showing oil pressure. The motor is being spun by Dimas's cordless drill in the video, so that's got to be less than 300rpm (150rpm maybe?). And, the fact that the motor can be spun with just a cordless drill is really funny (Obviously no spark plugs).

View attachment 167790

That's great oil pressure, cold or not. I do wish you had the FMS oil filter adapter to compare with the stock one though. I bought one but those are hell to R&R with everything assembled. With the engine out you could tell fast if the FMS adapter would fit in the same direction as the stock one. I think it has no limits, so 360*, and the FL1A filter is much bigger. Your filter looks longer than the FL820S though, and that's metric of course, you already have it.

I'm going to tip the scale at 500 peak hp. Might be wishful thinking, but why not?

I spent big money on that filter, and it will be worth every penny when I'm checking it for copper bearing material, Don't even ask how sad I'll be if I find some after the motor is installed in my truck.

My an-6 line and ends showed up to run the fuel return, but there's no way I'm going to drop the tank till it warms up out side. I have ZERO motivation to work on the floor under the truck right next to the garage door right now.

Cool video of the motor being driven by a simulator. Low rpm to test motor and look/listen for issues.

Rocker assembly oiling pic
347 rockers oiling.jpg

190 cranking compression
347 compression.jpg

This is going to be an exiting year!
I cant wait to see this thing making HP!

Dyno day is set for Thursday after work for me, at 5:30.

Since we can't dyno with my intake and injectors, here's the carb and intake that will be used. Its a dual plane intake, so that should hopefully somewhat resemble my Trick Flow Track Heat intake on the dyno.

The numbers will be interesting, and the sheet will show me what max load timing to use n/a. I'm sure I can just remove (which is really adding, lol) a few degree's timing pre psi of boost and be safe when the motor goes in. At least the J&S safeguard will save me from anything really bad.

It will be a year since I have done any tuning. Different motor, different injectors....Pretty much a re-tune I'm thinking. I'm getting ahead of myself, I just need to relax sometimes.

intake and carb.jpg

going to try like hell to get there. not sure if they will be too happy if i take another day off work seeing i have been sick since wed. just wish they could do a run with everything in your setup (turbo and all). i'll let you know hopefully tuesday or wed. if i can make it or not.

Back