Big Bear camp n' crawl...take 2..July ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big Bear camp n' crawl...take 2..July ??

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
This run rescheduled for July (hopefully)...date, trails and campground to be determined.

Come on out and enjoy some mountain wheelin' on trails of all levels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..I'm interested but am out for the next few months..:(

..I have got to get the X back on the road..:hammer:

Is there more damage than just the busted flexplate?

..I am working out of town so I basicaly jumped out of the tow truck into the Ranger and haven't been back to get into anything yet..

..One of the race teams that was trying to get me home offered me an open seat to a couple races so I might be covering three races as well as trying to afford fixing the X over the next six weeks or so..

..I will be keeping an eye on the trip thread as I know it will be a lot cooler an nicer up in the pine trees wheeling than it will be where I'm heading to eat dirt for a few days..:D

...:shifty_ey ..Stic-o, Zukman, Bro of Jefe, Boomer, Ritsui, Dave Alfaro, and R.J. should be interested in this trip if you give em a pm...;)

Rachel and I are in pending a final date. I'd rather go any time BUT the weekend of the 14th. We'd probably bring both the X and the Tacoma.

We prefer remote camping and there are several good spots in the hills around Holcomb. Most of the YP sites require showing up Thu or Fri, but there are plenty other spots off old logging/mining roads if nobody's bringing an RV.

We prefer remote camping and there are several good spots in the hills around Holcomb. Most of the YP sites require showing up Thu or Fri, but there are plenty other spots off old logging/mining roads if nobody's bringing an RV.

I would prefer those campgrounds too, i didn't care for my last experience at the pay campground. Had noisy neighbors and the pit toilets...well, i'd rather go in the woods. If we stick to stockerish trails that's fine by me too, maybe more people will be inclined to join this run;)

I would prefer those campgrounds too, i didn't care for my last experience at the pay campground. Had noisy neighbors and the pit toilets...well, i'd rather go in the woods. If we stick to stockerish trails that's fine by me too, maybe more people will be inclined to join this run;)

Depending on date...JP is down, just a weekend to play with it. June is a busy month this month and we need a weekend of prep for our trip in July. Plus now I have to deal with the F250 being down, thanks to drunk holiday drivers. :mad:

Big Bear sounds nice

Depending on date...JP is down, just a weekend to play with it. June is a busy month this month and we need a weekend of prep for our trip in July. Plus now I have to deal with the F250 being down, thanks to drunk holiday drivers. :mad:

Bummer about your truck Steve...sounds like some R&R in Big Bear is just what you need:D

Anyone feel free to throw out a date, i'm open so i'll let you guys decide:smoke:

Mid June sounds good

Lets go camping

Anyone feel free to throw out a date
June 20-22.

Not a holiday weekend. Gives us some time to plan. And I can hopefully scout potential camp sites ahead of time.

June 20-22.

Not a holiday weekend. Gives us some time to plan. And I can hopefully scout potential camp sites ahead of time.

Sounds good, got my vote:thumbsup:

I've been wanting to bring out the camping gear. There's a couple of guys with Explorers that I met at a Truck Meet, they live in Big Bear. I'll ask them where there is a good place to camp.

June 20-22.

I know of a great spot but need to figure out the directions as its been several years since I have been up there. Its off the road behind Fawnskin on the back side of the lake.

:thumbsup:

I've attached a full USFS trail map and a map to the Yellow Post sites. A lot of 'dispersed' campsites are in the same general areas. I've run into some of them exploring old logging/mining roads that aren't on the maps... but of course, I never pinned GPS or even made a note of where I was at the time :crazy:

If anyone has reliable map/gps to good wilderness camp sites, I'll try to check them out.

SB Mtns OHV trail map (PDF)

Click for full size image

Attachments

• BigBearNorthYP.jpg
    BigBearNorthYP.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 312

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I found the spot I was talking about earlier from another BB run thread.

3N14 to 3N97. Turn left or southerly. At the Y in the trail turn right. Go down trail past the group camp until trail splits next to a very pretty meadow. Go left (I think its 3N67C or 3N16C) for about 100 yards to the pines in the end of the meadow. Camp.

Someone would have to go scouting to make sure these directions are correct. Its been awhile.....
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102954&highlight=big+bear

I might be able to go up there a day or two ahead of time. If so, I will make sure I have the right spot and then post it in the thread.

Back