Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I have the axle in-hand finally... I guess I can start my thread.

I bought this axle about a month ago from a guy in OR and finally made it around to picking it up yesterday. I watched as he actually took the axle out from under the truck. It's pretty clean.

1983 Jeep Wagoneer LP D44

The plans:
Rubicon Express leaf springs (unless someone suggests otherwise)
4.88s
Detroit

Then SOA the rear, add a locker, and 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 adapters (I heard they make them). So far I am thinking about going 35/36s BFGs or IROKs.

So.... any suggestions?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7,031
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 7,073
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 7,017

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410Fortune said:
I have some airbags coming to me and then I was thinking do I really want airbags?
A good restraint system and cage would make them worthless :)
Think of all the interior room that frees up for gauges and crap!

My clockspring has been wasted since I swapped frames. So no airbags for the last three or four years. :( When I wadded up my Explorer the first... I mean the second time.. the airbag was the only reason I was injured. It blows the cruise control switches off at your wrists! :eek:

But anyway, the speed shop doesn't mess around. First time I have been in there and it definitely won't be the last. :thumbsup:

26" of ecstasy.

Attachments

• lines.jpg
    lines.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 766

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Still a spongey petal. :mad: What else could I have fawked up during this thing? Everything has been bleed a couple times, nothing is leaking. I removed the ABS fuse and TWO relays. :confused: What else? Pumping it gets it stiffer. :D

Were they junk yard calipers? Could the pistons be frozen?

They were on the axle when it was pulled from a running Jeep. But maybe? I'll pull off the tires and see if the front brakes are actually working... when I have someone else here to help.

just go get new calipers. They're cheap. I would not have reused the ones off the axle. I still have the original set that came with mine. :rolleyes: Paper weights. I also have a extra brand new set of T-bird calipers. Some how I got two sets :confused:

Stic-o said:
just go get new calipers. They're cheap. I would not have reused the ones off the axle. I still have the original set that came with mine. :rolleyes: Paper weights. I also have a extra brand new set of T-bird calipers. Some how I got two sets :confused:

Why didn't you say so earlier?! Now I have to take the wheels and tires back off!! :fire: :D

Be right back

was the master cylinder depressed while there were no lines hooked up?

Your calipers are also now larger then the originals are they not?
A full size ford master cyl might help.

Either your master cyl has lost its seal, your 4WABS system is jacked up with air in it, or your calipers are the cause I suspect.

more fun, haven't others who have gone SAS had this issue?

Yeah someone else had the same problem recently...

I still have the stock '93 master cylinder and it works fine with the bigger calipers and rear discs...

Rick you have 4WABS still or no?
Even if you dont know I assume you did after the SAS?

Love the Avatar :)

We'll see in a few minutes. :cool:

Attachments

• CIMG3839.jpg
    CIMG3839.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 763

410Fortune said:
Rick you have 4WABS still or no?

The system is still in place, but it's obviously non-functional.

so you pulled the fuse because the wheels speed sensors and rear 8.8 sensor are gone?

Rick did you just run the lines through you ABS, or did you by pass it? I can't rember what jefe did? :rolleyes:

I would remove it, run new lines from the master to the wheels.

Just remove the abs pump and run new lines to the wheels, use hardline as much as you can and bend it up yourself and use ss flex to the rear axle, and front wheels.

Well.. bad news. Still the same. :thumbdwn:

New brakelines, new calipers, new pads.. same old problem. Think it's time for a different master cylinder?

Oh yeah... once you go custom... everything else needs to be customized to work right. :p

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 744
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 733

Josh S. is here working on his junk too. Look at these beauties! :p :cool:

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 741

look at the bright side..you sorta updated your whole braking system sans the master cylinder. Thats a plus..right?

section525 said:
Oh yeah... once you go custom... everything else needs to be customized to work right. :p

Yeah that's what the guy at the auto parts store says too. :p

Cash%20register.jpg

NOTE TO SELF: Tack on perches prior to testing the brakes. :eek:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 755
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 759
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 7,502

Status