My Explorer Sport Build | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer Sport Build

Looks great! There are a few of us Sport guys left out here!!

IMG_0607.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well Did a little tear apart and getting it ready to be installed.
97 07.jpeg

Took the cover off and cleaned the cover and Painted it. Yes I know it will not be seen but well you know. Make it different. :)
97 09.jpg

I also took this cover off and just cleaning every thing up before getting it installed.
97 08.jpg

Everything so far is looking good.

Thank you sir. Yours looks really good also. So with just a TT and Shackle you have 33's under her? Does she rub at all?

Yes, I'm in the process of extending the bump stops with ones a bit longer. It barely rubs at full compression in the front and the back so the bump stop extensions will clear it right up. It also rubs the sway bar at full lock due to the 4.5 BS rims, but I like the way they keep the tires under the truck. I plan on doing a steering stop when I up the bump stops. This was kind of an accidental build and now I can't get rid of it. I've had Jeeps and other 4x4s but this little "bronco" just gets me. This truck is going to do Black Bear and Imogene this summer much to my wife's dismay. She would rather take our 2018 High Country but that takes all the adventure of "will we make it?", "will we break down?", out of it. ;)

Yes, I'm in the process of extending the bump stops with ones a bit longer. It barely rubs at full compression in the front and the back so the bump stop extensions will clear it right up. It also rubs the sway bar at full lock due to the 4.5 BS rims, but I like the way they keep the tires under the truck. I plan on doing a steering stop when I up the bump stops. This was kind of an accidental build and now I can't get rid of it. I've had Jeeps and other 4x4s but this little "bronco" just gets me. This truck is going to do Black Bear and Imogene this summer much to my wife's dismay. She would rather take our 2018 High Country but that takes all the adventure of "will we make it?", "will we break down?", out of it. ;)

Do you have a build thread? Sounds great though.

Well Got Diff all put back together and installed. Hooked up Vacuum lines and power line started her up and turned switch one way and the Drive line did not move. Turned switch the other way and it moved. I was super happy it worked. I was stressed about it not working cause it was something new that I had not done before. BUT now that I had done it no worries. The write up that I read about it was so useful. NOW to get her Drive line installed and get her out on the trails and see what I can do with her. Pretty excited about it.

Here is a little Before and after of my Explorer.
When I brought her home. I brought her home in 2016
New ex 3.jpg

Here she is about 2 weeks ago. 2019
97 04.jpg

Now she needs a few odds and ends to get hooked up and then I will get her out to the trails to see how she is. She has some big shows to fill but listening to a lot of other people on here I am pretty sure she will be able to do great. Right now both front and rear diffs are open. Need a lunch box locker in the rear then I am pretty sure she will be where I need her to be.

Do you have a build thread? Sounds great though.

I do have a build thread on Expedition Portal The Mule's resurrection

Your truck looks great! I just took my roof rack off to fab up some lower, stronger, crossmembers for the RTT. Also just ordered a fridge for the back. My new interest is removing the back seats for a platform set up.

I also just installed new Rancho 9000s...They are incredible.

Here is a resent picture of her. With her Front Bumper put back on. Now I am getting final things put together on her to get her back on the road again.
97 12.jpg

I do have a build thread on Expedition Portal The Mule's resurrection

Your truck looks great! I just took my roof rack off to fab up some lower, stronger, crossmembers for the RTT. Also just ordered a fridge for the back. My new interest is removing the back seats for a platform set up.

I also just installed new Rancho 9000s...They are incredible.

Very nice build sir.

Well finished up things on the explorer. Put newer mirrors on her from a 99. I also got the Instrument cluster from the 99 to install into mine. I also Installed a 12 inch glass pack. Now need to get Insurance and register her and she will be out on the trails hopefully soon. Getting pretty excited about getting her going and out on the trails. Right now Both front and rear Diffs are open so some day down the road will be getting a lunch box locker for the rear. Planning to keep the front open. I have been on trails for many years with no lockers or at least a rear locker I think I will do fine with a rear locker only. We will see what happens once I get her out there. No Pictures this time but I I will get updated Pics ASAP.

Thank you. Next month at the latest will get some pictures of her in her Natural Habitat. :) I can not wait to get out there onto the trails.

SO a couple weekends ago I had everything together and wanted to test out the 4x4 on two different car ramps. One on Driver front and one on Passenger rear. As I was climbing up and She was getting under pressure This sound happened.

So I took the TC out and took it apart and this is what I was greeted with.
TC 01.jpg

And
TC 02.jpg

And last one
TC 03.jpg

So I cleaned up the Back half and took apart the 95 TC I have and got them put together. So I have the rear 97 and front 95. Gonna put in this weekend and see how she goes.

Ouch. Interesting, I've wondered what the electromagnetic clutch would look like, but intact. I wish you weren't digging for copper, that's a mess of wires. I might take my 4406 apart to get a look at it too.

I had the other one taken apart and I should have taken a picture but me was elbow deep in trans fluid and yuck did not want my phone to dirty LOL. The other TC i got from a friend and it looked very clean on the inside ie no metal shavings every where.

I hope that one lasts for a while, and now you know what's in them, you might build the spare sometime.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope that one lasts for a while, and now you know what's in them, you might build the spare sometime.

You know I never thought about that. :) I think I will have to do that. Get all the parts over time and build another one. Yeah I am hoping it will last a little while. This EX has been abused before I got her. Now its just a matter of getting her back up and doing what she was built for. Exploring. :) New to her Rear axle, New front Hubs, Now a new to her TC. Pretty soon she will be all new. :)

Back