'97 V8's Manual 4406 swap..finally | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 V8's Manual 4406 swap..finally

Well Finally my parts are coming in for my t-case swap. My t-case will be here Wednesday. My driveshafts and gas tank on Monday. Friday i will begin the swap. Hopefully it will be done within the day.

I did buy a shift linkage from a 97 f-150. Now i just have to figure out where to put it becuase of the center console interferance.

As V8boatbuilders thread indicated, i bought a rear driveshaft froma 97 Expedition, and front froma 97 f-150. THe wrecking yard was kind enough to include new u-joints on the shafts. The gas tank is out of a 97 sport.
The transfer case is out of a 1997 f-150. Its a 4406 manual with a speedo hole for the VSS thankfully.

Since i'll have the t-case out, im going to go ahead and replace the transmission mount bushing with a polyurethane mount. Does daystar make one for the 4r70w?

My only concern is how im going to get the center console out. Im going to search around on the forum to see how i can remove it. If you have any suggestion on the shift linkage set up, im all ears.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the case will fit dude, only bad thing is I think you have to drop the gas tank to get it in.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

yeah I was looking now that I have the smaller tank in there and it looks like the regular one will fit. I may try in a while.
oh and mahdey watch out if yor small gas tank has a baffel in it, either take out the baffel orget a different year gas tank, mine has it and the fuel gas and the message dont work reads and just over 1/4 tank when its bone dry. Oh and while your at it try to follow the wires from where an electric tcase would hook up (that way I can figureut my wiring)

Welp shes in. I have the pics on my camera phone, if anyone knows how i can get the pics on the computer be my guest and tell me how.

The whole swap took about 3 hours and add in a half hour cuz i had to run to the store to buy the u-joint.The stock gas tank will fit.......barely. You need to trim down the bracket side for it to clear the case. The driveshaft clears the tank with about an inch to spare. I had to loose the plastic top that sits on the gas tank too. To my dismay on the road test, ford has adifferent speed sensor for the f-150's...der. So i have no speedo or odo. I have to change it out with the vss from the awd case. Also, the AWD case is a ***** to get out. Make sure you have a pry bar, becuase mine was very stuck.. I had to get the hybrid u-joints from autozone..11.99.

The road test.
It doesnt feel like a supercharger was put on my truck but i certaintly can feel the difference(maybe its the 33's and 3.73). Steering is lighter however. I went on the highway and the the truck is vibration free and all. A very slight shimmy, but thats been there forever. This shimmy is barely noticabler by the way.

I have pics obviously but dont know how to get them up.

FYI..the electric case with the 21 gallon will no way in hell work..sorry.

Sweet!

i forgot one thing...people with body lifts dont have to remove thier center console. I still have my speakers yay!

Can you send them to the explorerforum server deal in the photo gallery?

how long does it take to upload on the server?

there they are.

I need one of those lifts! :D What were you torching??

(section525 :I need one of those lifts! What were you torching?? )

The gas tanks and skid plate mount...it hits the fins of the rear shaft, so we had to cut it. Just some, but its still just as strong.

Jul620061614.jpg

Jul620061627.jpg

Jul620061626.jpg

Jul620061628.jpg

Jul620061618.jpg

Jul620061616.jpg

lol froader..i figured it out.

Jul620061620.jpg

Now im off to go swap out the VSS sensors becuase i calcualte how mych gas i have by using the odomoter.

why didnt you fix the sender when you had the tank down again?
Did you wire upt he shift motor?

I think I missed something

410Fortune said:
why didnt you fix the sender when you had the tank down again?
Did you wire upt he shift motor?

I think I missed something

fortune...i did a manual swap, no shift motors here. I didnt swap out the sensor becuase i forgot to. But i have bad news...even with the original sensor in i still get a reading of zero. Why is this?

Both sensors look the same?

Yeah. The one from the 4406 had a black gear wheel and the one from the stock 4404 was pink. This sucks.

So is the shifter in yet? I think thats going to be the hard part.

I am SO glad to see it fir with the gas tank.

good news and bad news. Good news i swapped the black toothed vss geart with the pink one. Bad news, and i think this is for a ll f-150 cases or whatever, there is no teeth on the output part of the shaft of where the splines are supposed to be inside the case (did that sound confusing.?). However there is another spot that looks like it may be for the VSS on the front output part.

As for shifting, I got under the truck and yank it into 4 hi or 4 low.

Back