BMXking's Axle Swap 1st gen. Coils/Radius Arms!!! | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BMXking's Axle Swap 1st gen. Coils/Radius Arms!!!

Well, I finally decided to start a thread on it. For those of you who don't know, I will be doing a full-width swap. High-Pinion Dana 44 front and Ford 9" rear. I am still looking for the HP D44, but I picked up the 9" Monday. I have never really done a lot of work on axles, so this will definitely be a long process, but I have already done a lot of research about this(and am still learning a TON). I plan on doing as much of it myself as I possibly can, but will have a shop do the regear for me.

FRONT AXLE
-1977 F-150 HP D44 Full-Width $200 - Moved Forward ~1.5”
-Myers Machine Coil Seats $40 shipped
-6* Pro Comp Pinion shims under coil buckets (to fix coil angle) $18
-CAGE Offroad 5.5” Coil Springs $150 shipped
-Coil Buckets Spaced Out 2.5" (3/16" x 2.5" x 6.5") $FREE
-Bronco Graveyard 78-79 Coil Spring Tower, Pair $90.80 shipped
-F250 Shock Towers $28 shipped
-Stock Axle Shafts(for now) $FREE
-Warn Premium Hubs $72
-Extended, Plated, Heimed, Wristed 1978-1979 Bronco/F-150 Radius Arms $222 shipped
-CAGE Radius Arm Mounts $FREE w/ R/A's
-Adjustable Superlift (p/n 1080) track bar (76-79 Ford f150/78-79 Bronco) w/ Energy Suspension poly bushings $125
-Skyjacker Stainless Steel Braided Lines for lifted D35 TTB's $90
-Bronco Graveyard 66-75 Early Bronco Adj. Bracket $45
-New F150 tie-rods & stock Explorer drag link (w/ red poly dust boots) $121
-Stock pitman arm $FREE
-Raybestos Professional Grade $19.95 shipped
-Powerslot slotted rotors $120
-Rebuilt Calipers $26
-Completely rebuilt (seals/bearings/ball joints/u-joints/etc.) $260.23
-Energy Suspension Red 7* C-Bushings $21
-Stock Explorer D-shaft w/ 1310 D44 pinion yoke for stock Explorer u-joints $FREE
-Rancho RS5000 shocks $20
-Bronco Graveyard Upper Coil Spring Retainers $22
-Rancho RS5000 steering stabilizer w/ custom bracket $25

REAR AXLE
-1983 Ford 9" $85
-Rubicon Express Anti-Wrap perches welded SOA $35
-Wild Horses Weld-On Shock Mounts $15
-Stock Springs w/ AAL and red rear poly bushings $10
-Stock Axle shafts w/ new bearings, seals, collars, etc $140
-94-99 Dodge Ram 1500 front rotors $58 shipped
-'76 Cadallic Eldorado Calipers w/ e-brake $155 w/ core calipers
-'78 F150 Extended Stainless Steel Braided Rear Brake Hose $45.34
-Custom Bent Brake Lines (w/ 3/8" ends) $8
-'79 Caddy Eldorado Brake Line end box thing $FREE
-7/16" Banjo Bolt for '76 calipers $5
-Bendix Brake Pads $35
-Speedway Motors GM Large Caliper bracket (7" mounting points) $40 2-day shipped
-Cut off mounting points from Ford 9" drums to use as spacers for the disc conversion (no longer a backing plate behind the shaft) $FREE
-Third Member from eBay (4.88s, mini spool) $150
-BC Broncos Disc Brake Conversion Wheel Studs $15
-Wild Horses Super Duty U-bolt Kits $60
-Extended/balanced rear driveshaft w/ stock 1310 to match the 1310 on the axle $123.63
-Skyjacker Nitro 8000 shocks for 2" lift Explorer $FREE
-Copper Third Member Washers $12.24

TIRES
-37x12.50-16 Maxxis Creepy Crawlers $400.00

WHEELS (5 on 5.5)
-16x8 Black Rock Crawlers $293

Grade 8 Hardware: $200

Tig Welding: $200

Parts Sold
-Stock Third Member w/ 3.50s and open diff -$50
-Lower Coil Mounts -$25
-Stock Radius Arms -$25
-31x10.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers, 15x8 black rock crawler wheels, Skyjacker 2” lift coils, drop-in K&N, front Skyjacker Nitro 8k shocks, Dual CB Antenna Mounts/Coax, and 235/75r15 spare tire, APC Ultra-White Bulbs, Radius Arm Bushings, Sway Bar Bushings -$415
-Ford 8.8 - 3.27 gears, 31 spline, stock limited slip, drum brakes, SUA, great condition. -$70
-Front Axle Shafts -$60

TOTAL: $3156.24

Future Upgrades:
Dana 44 -
-30 spline ARB
-Yukon 4.88s
-Warn Chromoly Inner and Outer Shafts, Moser Max 44 shafts, or Superior Axles
-Dedenbear flat top knuckles
-Blue Torch Fabworks Hi-Steer Arms
-Rancho RS9000X adj. shocks
-Late 70s T-Bird calipers (1/4" bigger piston, and still use Bronco pads :thumbsup: )

Ford 9" -
-New Strange Nodular Iron Case w/ 3.250 carrier bearing (STR-N1906) $359 Summit Racing
-Moser Spool and Axle Package Number 1 (ASP1) - 35 spline full steel spool for 3.250 case, 35 spline custom alloy axles, Axle bearings, 5 on 5.5, 1/2" studs $590 Moser Engineering
-Yukon 4.88s (F9-486) $139 PORC
-Daytona Pinion Support 3.250 case (STR-N1914) $115 Summit Racing
-R&P Master Install Kit for 9" Ford-3.250 Case, Daytona Pinion Support(R9FDD) $100 Moser Engineering
-Pinion Yoke 1310 - 28spline pinion (may upgrade to 1350 if I get a new t-case) (PY210) $90 Moser Engineering
-Axle Breather Vent $12 Bronco Graveyard
-Axle Truss
-Rancho RS9000X adj. shocks
-94-02 Dodge Ram 4x4 Powerslot Slotted Rotors

Now on to the pics!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 8,484
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 8,452
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 8,274

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you talking about the inner bearing on the spindle that the outer drive shaft rides on? or the wheel bearing on the rotor?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

the inner wheel bearing on the outside of the spindle that the rotor and hub assembly sits on.

I would check parts before doing anything drastic, something doesn't sound right. the inner spindle bearing is a pain to get out but the rest was easy.

I checked that I had two sets of wheel bearings, the inner and outer. These bearings SHOULD go on and come off pretty easy. The bearings I have needs to be tapped in and pulled off with a puller.

Ahh shes finally under the knife. Hope it all works out for ya.

I run 5/8 heims on my steering and I DD it with almost 2,000 miles on everything with no problems/slop. Heims arn't very expensive and it would take ~30 minutes to replace all of them if they do get some slop, just get the heims with teflon, they will last longer.

Yet another case where a person who has tried them said they were fine. So far 99% of the "terrible problems" with heims were heard by a friend of a friend who saw a friend run lower 2 a few years back. :confused:

I was going to get the 3/4" heims, but after looking at Poison Spyder's chart, the 5/8" heims are actually stronger. Like I said before, I'll most likely upgrade later, but at the moment, I'd rather put that towards upgrading my mostly stock (but rebuilt) front end.

bmxking5 said:
Yet another case where a person who has tried them said they were fine. So far 99% of the "terrible problems" with heims were heard by a friend of a friend who saw a friend run lower 2 a few years back. :confused:

I was going to get the 3/4" heims, but after looking at Poison Spyder's chart, the 5/8" heims are actually stronger. Like I said before, I'll most likely upgrade later, but at the moment, I'd rather put that towards upgrading my mostly stock (but rebuilt) front end.

yep. 5/8" is stronger with all the research i did on this subject. I ran the 5/8"s ones on mine, the threaded part that attaches to the DOM, was 3/4" but where the bolt goes through was 5/8"s.I never had a problem with the heims on my steering on my jeep, and i havent heard of the guy i sold it to having any probs, def. get teflon lined ones though.

Here are some recent pics. By now though, more is done with it...

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 622
  • 112.jpg
    112.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 621
  • 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 627
  • 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 645

Attachments

• 115.jpg
    115.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 630

looking good..how long will it be?

Not sure yet. I want it done really soon, but the biggest thing to me is that it's done by Supercross, so I can drive it (February 25th).

The weather has been absolutely crazy lately! On and off snow flurries, lots of rain, sun, and snow flurries again. Ah well, guess I can't complain too much about the slow rate of this swap. I'm doing it right in the coldest part of winter in GA, while going to school 7-2 and then working 2-5:30, as well as Saturdays. The cool thing is that I've done 95% of this so far by myself. It'll be cool to be an 18 year old high school senior and be able to say that I built almost the entire truck myself!

that will be sweet...for my senior year it is going to be 3inch bl and the stabdard 2 suspension....i caould only wish for an SAS.

bmxking5 said:
ATLRoach - Have you ever run heims on the ends of your steering?

Yes I had on my Heep.. They develop slop over time and no they weren't the cheap one. They were the teflon coated pro hiems(80 each). It would be okay for a trail only rig but was driven on the street as well. I went with 1 ton TREs and the slop was gone for good. Also wait till you get in the rocks with low steer and bend your tierod. Then you wished that you would have spend the money right the first time and gone hysteer.

bmxking5 said:
... while going to school 7-2 and then working 2-5:30, as well as Saturdays. The cool thing is that I've done 95% of this so far by myself. It'll be cool to be an 18 year old high school senior and be able to say that I built almost the entire truck myself!

My schedule looks the same, with a few more work hours. However, I can hardly keep up with bills, yet along start building my D44. I am in awe of however you do it.

sn0border88 said:
My schedule looks the same, with a few more work hours. However, I can hardly keep up with bills, yet along start building my D44. I am in awe of however you do it.
The Jeeper that I got the F150 steering from said he knows I'm dedicated to the swap because he'll drive home past my house late at night on school nights and see me out there working on the truck in the driveway, in the cold weather. :D

man when you get this finished we gotta go wheelin !!!!!

Hey, have you assembled your hub and rotors together yet?

Nope, probably doing that tonight.

Back