Completed Project - Brandon's mild 4.0 OHV build | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Brandon's mild 4.0 OHV build

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
So, as of 5 hours ago Ronin8002, or James' built OHV block became mine; and with the stea.. I mean deal I got and all the extra goodies he threw in, he seemed a little too happy to get rid of this thing :shifty_ey... lol! But WOW this thing is in good shape! As a christmas gift from my parents, I've been given the opportunity to really dig into an engine like I've always wanted to do. I've watched and assisted a couple chevy 350 builds over the past few months but have never done anything by myself.. so here goes nothin!

The Meat (James' Block):
- 1995 block bored .030 over and torque honed
- Keith Black Hypereutectic 1995 Style Pistons (staying around 9:1)
- Total Seal piston rings
- Clevite bearings
- Stock Water pump/timing cover (awesome shape!)
- Stock Fuel Rail
- SOHC Oil pump/pan - to strengthen up the bottom end
-- Possible port/polish on the lower intake, we'll see when I get there

The Goodies:
- Comp Cams 49-422-8 Cam
- Comp Cams 988-12 dual valve springs
- 95tm heads with minor porting/polishing

(on the way, supposedly 11/28/10)
- SI sev2027 and sev2028 valves
- Delta Cam rockers
and pushrods will come later down the road when properly measured

I'm going to keep a diary as things progress on the motor, once I get all the parts in it really should start coming together quickly. I'm down for any type of constructive criticism you have, if you don't like the way I'm doing something PLEASE let me know, as this will be my true first solo go at an engine! JD4242 has really given me a lot of direction when it comes to the 4.0, by reading through his posts in the forums I'm still baffled by the amount of knowledge he has of these things. So, many thanks to you JD!

First order of business, I need help tracking down a full gasket kit, reasonably priced as the budget is dwindling down, I hear an ebay seller has them for around $130??, as well as new head stud/bolts. I'm not feeling ARP's $400 set of head bolts/studs. Does anyone have any suggestions or leads on either?

Thanks for lookin! Here's a couple of teaser pics! Pics of the motor when I get it all unpackaged and on a stand.

-Brandon

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 6,273
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 6,675

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Hahahha dang it!!how many more shots do i gota take!!

James, Dynolicious doesn't use drag coefficients (or GPS) to get its numbers. It purely uses accelerometers. I did not have to enter it in when I set it up and calibrated it.. if you were thinking I did.

I forgot to mention, I DID notice a nasty vibration on my way home. It FEELs like a wheel bearing grinding/humming if your aware of what I'm talking about, but both front ones have less than 5,000 miles on them. :dunno: However, I have some nasty popping/binding on both CV's when I turn now, I'm thinking they might be shot as they used to click every now and then ever since Uwharrie last year.. and letting them sit for two months I think may have just did them in..

Any ideas on what this could be? I think I'm going to check out the wheel hubs tomorrow just to be safe.. don't want those puppies flying off..

James, Dynolicious doesn't use drag coefficients (or GPS) to get its numbers. It purely uses accelerometers. I did not have to enter it in when I set it up and calibrated it.. if you were thinking I did.

oh whoops, I was half asleep when I read your post and must have missed that.

Were you planning on doing a dyno tune for your new setup?

I'm hoping to get a hold of Mr Henson and possibly getting a tune or two for it. might use some of the tax refund on it for that lol

I you barley got me on speed me 78 your 84!! had my truck weighed, with stereo, me,and 5gals of gas it weighted 4601. Yea i know the hp crap is off,it would probably be closer now.gears and tires are what was hurting me.like i said im sure ive nocked a good 2-3 sec off now.if you look at your 60ft witch your alitte slow on to but you ran a 2.86 i ran 3.61. Your 1/8 mile aint bad at 10.81 i ran a 12.06 and your 1/4 16.57 is a litte higher than what i think ill run now.i hurt out the hole with those old tires/gears,you had me by 2sec by the 1/8 mark witch with my4.88 is where im getting that ill gain atleast that back.but in the last 1/8 i gained a sec and a half back on you.so if i could get out the hole around what your running,should be quicker with 4.88, that alone would be 2sec and should nock a sec or more off the top end too.i just need to get out there and run some new 1/4 times!!!i wanna run 15s na

You need to go have it weighed there is no way your 5300!!i would say 4300!! That wil affect your hp alot!!

Do you have like a trash dump place around you?they can weigh it there

Its 4053 is the shipping weight of a 95. Buddy just shipped his! At 4053 and 1/4 puts him at 176 to the ground and 228 crank http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/horsepower_calculator.htm

That sounds more realistic. When I first put the vortech on my 91 I put down 199 RWHP and pulled a low 15 in the 1/4. I got up to 230 once I fixed a couple of things but never got another chance to do any more track runs. That was with stock size tires and 3.73 gearing.

Yea 200 is a pretty hard number to hit, na in the OHV motor.200s and you should be putting down 15s at the track

I vote put 4100 in it and go run again and see what it comes out to.im willing to be your even under 4100

Yea 200 is a pretty hard number to hit, na in the OHV motor.200s and you should be putting down 15s at the track

I bet you're pretty close with your 10.5:1 compression though.

with NOS I bet you will get in the high 14's

I bet you're pretty close with your 10.5:1 compression though.

with NOS I bet you will get in the high 14's

Yea im pretty sure im at or above 200,or i hope!! Im wanting 15 na and high 13 to low 14 spraying!! The curb weight of a 95 4x4 limted is 3981

lowest i got in mine last was 13sec in a 0-60 lol
this little sonoma ive been driving got a 10sec 0-60 this morning

quick question while dynoing/tune is up. if i were to get a tune done, would it go away if i unplugged the battery? and what about getting a jetchip, and finding someone with the programmer?

lowest i got in mine last was 13sec in a 0-60 lol
this little sonoma ive been driving got a 10sec 0-60 this morning

quick question while dynoing/tune is up. if i were to get a tune done, would it go away if i unplugged the battery? and what about getting a jetchip, and finding someone with the programmer?
For your exploere?there is no way to tune a first gen around here.jetchips are pos.only way is a standalone unit.im going with megasquirt.https://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278510

Back