Burns SAS thread | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Burns SAS thread

Well as a few of you know my X was messeed up a bit due to a accident. so i have been looking for a new plan.
i have my axles (d44/ford9") all i need is to choose what i am gonna do.
i was thinking about thiS:
In the front i plan to use whild horse 5.5 inch coils,
1005_cut.jpg

for radius arms i plan to use this.
1425LO~1.jpg

they are 12 inches longer that the stock radius arms.i have the whole frame from a 78 f-150 that i plan to get the coil buckets and steering off of.
i want to use a 37 inch tire and use 4.88 gears
i dont see a problem with any of this so i need some info to see if i have missed anything

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you ever thought about getting a girlfriend? Just asking :p:

LOL good one.....

Well the engine came out pretty good on sat and it got to cold to finish so we stopped.....We started back today(sun) and worked till we had a string of probs......We were taking the manafolds (sp) off the newer engine and two of the bolts broke off in the head.....now the fun starts.....we start drilling and broke about four drill bits......finally got the drilling done and ready to start the tapping process....got half way with the first one and the stinking tap broke off half way in the stinking head....so we had to remove it and had enough of the tap still on to finish both holes....this tore up about four hours of time....also it is 12:30 and i just got out of the shower and we have put in over seven or so hours in today....just to get it back in.....just one prob after another...but it is in and ill be putting the rest of the under the hood parts on tomm.....

Tranny kit better be here tomm or i am making a phone call......I have to get this done by thursday because my dad is having surgery on his hand Friday....so only four more days to finish the tranny rebuild and the motor swap stuff....

dont yell at me but i may have missed this but what motor u puttin in her, a newer 4.0 ?
Yes a newer 4.0 The orginal that just came out had 319,000 miles so it was due....the whole oil pan seal was leaking He He lol

This is the 501th post in my explorer sas swap...Thank you all for all info you have given me.....

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ahh that sucks about the bolts. Something always has to get thrown in to slow you done.

yeah i know but we got through and it is sitting in the garage waiting on me to put the Alt, Power steering pump, air conditioning, and belt system on....

We did the whole swap without losing the freon(SP)....never gonna try that again....

i guess im lucky...367k miles and not a drop...when most bolts break flush with whatever its in, weld a nut to the stud and it will come rite out.

i guess im lucky...367k miles and not a drop...when most bolts break flush with whatever its in, weld a nut to the stud and it will come rite out.

367000 miles or 367000 kilometers (sp) if its the second you are not close lol

367,048.2-10ths miles on the odometer!

Update

The engine swap is complete...Here is what I have to finish by Thursday...Wiring is complete.

1. Put the belt system on.
2. Put on the alternator.
3. Radiator needs to go in.
4. Battery and winch wiring.
5. Finish the transmission rebuild...3-5 hrs left.
6. Put in a new rear main oil seal.
7. Install the new clutch.
8. Install the transmission.
9. Install the tcase, drive shafts, and exhaust.
10. Check every bolt again....

Still left to do.....
1. Put the belt on
2. Radiator needs antifreeze
3. Batt and winch wiring
4. Replace the rear ring and pinion....

Number four is a new prob....we had thought that it might have needed a bearing but we decided to pull the pinion out of the 9" just to look at everything and the ring gear is worn badly.....the bearings are down....it has had water in it a few times and i changed and flushed every time....guess thats not good enough....

well today i walked in after school at one thirty and found three boxes in the garage. they are the coils, high performance urthane kit, and the radius arms.
all together
front-kit.jpg

this was just neat to me
front1.jpg

the radius arms are better than i first thought. they are mad very well and it all looks good. they are 12 inches longer that the stock radius arms for a 78 bronco/f-150. they are angled so the tires do not rub on a full cut of the front tires.
radius-arms.jpg

burns where did you get your RA's from

Its finally done.......engine swap and tranny rebuild that is....the rear end now needs a new ring gear and pinion.....

What's wrong with the rear R&P?

Well its goes like this........I knew i had tranny probs for a while....it started to make noise and we assumed it was the tranny.....so i just drove it every now and then just cause i wanted to and the carrier bearings are down and that was the noise......so it wore the ring and pinion.....good enough that we are gonna replace it...

holy cow...ever since i started this engine swap and tranny rebuild it has been one wrong thing after the other.

1. broke two bolts off in the newer engine. then broke a tap off in one of the holes after drilling it out.
2. two bolts in the manfold. had to be drilled and tapped.
3. transfer is messing up. not sure what is goin on here. kicks out of 4wd when driving it on the front end only.
4. replace ring and pinion (free)
5. the ring and pinion bearings were the wrong ones.

I have been waiting for days for these babies to get in. now they are the wrong ones. oh im so stinking mad. if they cant get it to me by 8am in the morning they can give me my money back.

re adjust the shift linkage

just spent the last 2.5 hours reading your whole thread. doing a similar swap except my D44 is out of a waggoneer. i am hoping for similar results minus all the problems:rolleyes:

any updates?

Hey man. How far down did you end up mounting your coil buckets on the frame? Doin a similar swap and just want to get some ideas.

i havent gotten that far yet. still getting gears setup:(

Oh yeah i just got ahold of a manual tcase with linkage. What a great day.

Sweet....wheeling trip soon? I'm almost done.

Back