BillyBob's SAS Thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BillyBob's SAS Thread

What's up everyone? I got the itch for more lift about a month and a half ago so I started looking into cheap options to add another couple of inches to Bill Bob's ride height-at least enough to clear 35s. Unfortunately, while checking out the methods the previous owner had used to acheive the current lift, I realized I had already been running a fairly cheap lift setup in the first place which consisted of bigger springs/spacers in the front and SOA+AAL in the rear. As you can see from the before pic, this setup allowed clearance for the 33x12.5" tires that had come with the truck. I had a friend (who is ASE certified) check the truck out so we could formulate a plan of attack. The factory D35 was in pretty bad shape anyway with tons of rot :eek: When that new information came to my attention, it was pretty clear that I was going to have to go with a D44/9 inch swap to get the results I was after. The 9 inch rear is from a 78 Bronco I pulled out of the woods near a guy's house in New Hampshire and the front is a D44 out of a 78 F150 from the boneyard. There wasn't much of the donor F150 left at the yard, except a set of fairly beefy aftermarket springs and buckets that we paid $20 for. I got a great deal on a set of 35x14.5" boggers with 95% tread left on 15x10s 5.5 inch pattern. Netted out at $400 for the set including the rims :thumbsup: It's still very much a work in progress, but it has come along enough to where I thought I could start the thread. I'll post more pics as the project moves along. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 0515081804b.jpg
    0515081804b.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 454

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm going with a 2" extended shackle. I'd have to do 2 AALs on each side, and I don't want to embarrass myself with blocks :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, Billy Bob is finally finished...
So, aside from the axles, we've done the following:
New BDS shocks all around
went with close to a 3" extended shackle
New steering stabilizer
All new steering components, new drop pitman arm, double sleeved drag link
F150 Steering box
Custom driveshafts
Spicer u-joints
frame has been ground down and painted
Yukon 5.13s
Rebuilt transmission
Trimmed front wheel wells
New hubs, brakes, knuckles, seals, lines...you name it, it's probably been replaced

The truck isn't close to done in the sense that the project is over, it's just safe to drive again. The difs are still open and will probably stay that way unitil spring. It needs a winch and rollcage and eventually will get a 302/C4 swap. Pics to come...

I can't tell you all how nice it is to have my truck back :bounce:

Some poser shots

Attachments

• Truck1.jpg
    Truck1.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Truck2.jpg
    Truck2.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 195
  • Truck3.jpg
    Truck3.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 191