CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!! | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!!

Hello Everyone!
It's Chief here, Aka: Tim. I started with this pitifull excuse of a motor called a V6 and even more of a dissapointment This POS A4LD tranny! This will all be a nightmare that ended real soon:D

last shot of v6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a closer look behind the headlight and in front of the power distribution box.

Attachments

• close-up near cyliniod.jpg
    close-up near cyliniod.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,196

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

here is a broad shot of the Pass. side fenderwell

Attachments

• wiring near pass fender.jpg
    wiring near pass fender.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,178

here is a shot of the driver side. you can see the coil mount I made in front of the cruise control box. The wiring in the back had not been completed yet but you can see that it is done in the "Firewall shot"

Attachments

• coil mount.jpg
    coil mount.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,173

One more thing that I did recently was, I changed my mind on the battery mount. If you flip back you can see the Flamed mount I bought for the Optima. Well, My mother bought it off of me for her Drag boat and I bought another one identical except it has checkered flags instead. I like this one better.

Attachments

• checkered flag optima mount.jpg
    checkered flag optima mount.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,166

Awsome job on the wiring! There is no way I could ever get it that neat. The real test is if it works or not ;) I can't wait to see it finished!!

Originally posted by Chief34
Well, My mother bought it off of me for her Drag boat

Do you need a brother? I'm willing to move :D

Ok I remembered Something I forgot to touch on. I got an alternator. The key with this is you want a "3G" style alternator which is an internal fan. The explorer came with a "3G" style alternator but it wont bolt up to the mustang engine. So what I did was I got a high amp (200 amp) for a 94-95 mustang. It has the same mounting locations so it will bolt right up but it is a "3G" alternator and it will plug right up to my explorer style plug on the wiring harness. i'll get pics as soon as I recieve it in the mail. Since I got such a high amp alternator I need to upgrade the power source wire, that goes from the alternator over to the cyliniod, to a 4 gauge wire.
Late,
Tim
... I cant wait to see it finished either! Almost there!

Sure is looking awesome! :chug:

that thing looks amazing. I am doing a built carbed 302 in mine once the build is done. Looking for around 400whp

Spectacular thread.
Very informative.
Make sure to do an analysis of costs, contacts, and manufactures.
I have a 89 5.0 ready to be stroked and this is a great tool in getting that project off the ground.

Originally posted by Chief34
Since I got such a high amp alternator I need to upgrade the power source wire, that goes from the alternator over to the cyliniod, to a 4 gauge wire.

I got a 200amp alt in my sploder, and then an optima, and for such i current, I'm running 1/0 gauge cable to and from my alternator... Fer 200 amps I'd use minimum 2ga if not 1/0. The cables are short, so it's not that expensive to run good and big wire.

Wow man.....looks absolutely amazing!!

Thanks everyone! I am glad this is helping others.

RFR2212

I was told to use a 4 gauge and that would be sufficient, but your right it wouldnt hurt to go bigger. I just might do that. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I mean Autozone usually carries all sizes, definately upgrading from 4ga to 2ga is almost a no brainer b/c the cost is so little. Assuming you've got the battery on the passenger side, the lengths of cable are very cheap. Also it'll help if ya pick up a winch in the future, when electricity is at a premium! I can't wait to see what happens to that d30 front end with that v-8 :D

I just thought about it and I think you are talking about the battery cables. Am I right? Battery cables are already a 1Ga I believe arent they? It doesent matter though because I do have to get a new battery cable anyway because my battery is on the driver side now. Anyway, The only wire that needs upgraded to a larger one is the short one that goes from the alt. to the cyliniod. That is the power source. That is the one that I was refering to earlier.

:rolleyes: When it breaks I will either Use a dana 60, Portals, or unimog axles. One project at a time;)

Actually, after thinkin of it, I dunno how yer alternator is, but mine actually has a + and a - post on it, which i then match the wires to the battery to flow juice from the alt to the bat. I only use one of the 2 factory plugs in the alternator. I wish I had a digi cam to get pictures... :eek:

UNIMOG axels :D :D :D

Yeah, that is different. Mine is a "3G". It connects using the same connections as the stock explorer alt.

this is unreal, i just found this site, never have i ever seen anyone go to this extent to show there build. my hats off to you chief. mark

HPP Wiring

Brett/High Plains Performance, also did the wiring on my v8 conversion. Your welcome to check out my harness install at http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers
Its been in my v8 conversion for over a year. No problems, works great.

High Plains Performance can also help out with AODe/4r70w and Baumann controller wiring for you automatic guys.

Chief34
Excellent job on both the documentation and the conversion.

Back