Chopped B2-cage/sas/doubler project , AKA money pit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chopped B2-cage/sas/doubler project , AKA money pit

Well things are starting to wrap up on other projects and I miss my maroon SASd B2, but feel I'm ready for something with a little bit more occupant protection and less body work to mangle. So build thoughts and Ideas please share, this will take several months as money allows, have most parts accept DOM for cage.

Thought is to start with B2 frame, SAS it and custom cage it, but unsure of entire plan.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whatever you do, stretch the wheelbase. Alot. :D

Other than that, what tire size are you shooting for? That will pretty much determine your axles.

HPIM0069.jpg

100_0456.jpg

2233391_28_full.jpg

P5100197.jpg

Those are some cool b2s, but i think im going for even less body work. It has a habit of getting tore up to easily around here.

body panels bad, sawzall good!

No one has mentioned the fact that no front suspension under it?

Big decision now is on power train
Thinking either 4.0 OHV, 5spd, 1350/1354 doubler or
97 V8 explorer eninge, with do rebuild to automatic and put adapter for 1354, and still run my doubler??

HPIM0069.jpg

Nice! but ditch the BL

Oh man I need to get mine all chopped up this is getting ridiculous! I miss my BII big time.....been busy with Child and Polaris ATV's as of late

Nah, just 33in tires for now, they can take me about anywhere I wanna go and break less stuff. Dana 44 HP, narrowed 6in is whats going under front, its getting donated from my Explorer after SMORR, looks like this project will be little slower than I like just to not get to much $$$ tied up real quick, but good thing is I have almost everything other than DOM for cage and powertrain., Note I am keeping rear disc brake 8.8 instead of going to 9in, reason is easier to flush rear diff fluid, since this will be part time submarine.

So what's the plan for the explorer since you are getting most of the parts from it?

im only getting its axle, its getting another axle little wider

Hopefully picking up drivetrain today or tommorow, buying 94 sport, 5spd, with bad slave cylinder,will use parts from it.

Now undecided about drivetrain, still pretty sure im going tonight to pick up the 4.0 5spd sport, but i have option to run a v8 setup, which will cost me a little more, but in long run think I would be happier with it? I plan on driving the snot out of this thing and v8 power would be fun!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back