colindo94 fullwidth swap | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

colindo94 fullwidth swap

Well it's about time to start collecting the parts I need for the swap. I wiil be using a Dana 44 front axle and a fullsize 8.8" rear end from a 89 fullsize bronco. please give me any kind of insight on what I plan to use. All commentary is wanted:)

Edited with final parts
Dana 44 from 76 f-150
-78-79 coil spring towers spaced out with 3x4 steel
-Wildhorse crawler 5.5" coil springs.
-F-250 shock towers
-5.13 Yukon ring and pinion
-Master overall kit.
-Warn primium hubs.
-Cage offroad radius arms.
-78-79 stock tie rod
-Explorer stock drag link
-custom trackbar with heims. Bottom heim is a 3/4" heim and top is a 5/8" heim with 1.5" .25 wall DOM.
-Stock 76 f-150 trackbar bracket welded to a 3/16" plate of steel.
-7* C bushing kit.
-Bilstein 14" travel 5100 shocks
-Open Differential for now
-Timkin wheel bearings and seals.
-All new disk brakes and custom stainless steel brakelines

Fullwidth 8.8 from a 88 bronco
-5.13 Yukon ring and pinion
-Master install kit.
-weld on spring perches/ u bolts/ shock mounts. mountainoffroad.com
-custom shackles that are the same length of warrior shackles.
-skyjacker Add-a-leaf
-Lockright
-new drums with stock fullsize bronco e-brake cables and custom frame bracket.
-skyjacker extended brakeline for explorer.
-extended diveshaft with 1310/1330r basterd u-joint.

Wheels and tires
-36x12.5" TSL Radials
-15x8" black steel rockcrawler wheels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The shocks are the bilstein 5100's. They are 14" travel 5100's. Specs for the extended and collapsed length of these shocks can be found at They also have a great deal of 65.00 a shock and free shipping, at least for me. These shocks are great. No death woble on the freeway and allows flex all day long. No they don't bottom out or ever get fully extended, but make sure you measure for the right shock size. An I have seen no need for front bump stops. The coil won't allow it to flex far enough to hit the frame.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

O and on the seal subject. Didn't ohoboy use something similer to the link I gave?

Well I got all the shocks mounted and the ebrake all set up. I used a piece of angle iron and welded it to the frame for the bracketry and I used a ebrake adjuster from a 1989 f-150. SO now I have an adjustable ebrake. I also used the cables from that f-150 from the adjuster to the drums. Works pretty good.
Anyways, I was wondering about welding the axle tubes on the rear 8.8. Can I still do this with the seals and everything in the axle or will it get too hot? Also I hear that I have to weld for like an inch and let it cool for like 10 min before the next inch. Is this the proper way of doing it?

ahh ur fine blast away

where are you welding? If its in the middle fo the tube your fine, if your right on the seals I would take the shaft out and stick wet rags into it.

I want to weld the axle tubes to where they enter the pumpkin. SO I sont spin the diff like rick did to his 8.8. The thing is, there is a seal right in that area.

oh, I thought you meant out by the flange. Well, the diff will help spread alot of the heat around, but I would do an inch or so at a time.

Thank you!

What are some other rear leaf options. The add-a-leaf is way too stiff and I already took out the overload, but still is to stiff. I need like 1-5" of lift back there. I already have extended shackles and SOA.

I think a custom pack is your only option now. Otherwise it's going to be too stiff.

Unless...(not the best solution by any means :p:) you put in another leaf and build a custom rear bumper with tire carrier. The leaf will lift the rear and the bumper and tire will be heavy enough to smooth it out a little.

Stiffness is also a property of the shocks .. so you might want to move them in towards the center more and/or angle them more so that they are not so vertical (therefore decreasing their effect).

Well I've been doing a little work. I got rid of the add a leaf and put a 1.5" block in there instead until I have the money for a custom leaf pack. I also found an electric fan in a car out in the middle of a field and took that. I tack welded it in right behind the grill to pull some air in when I'm slow wheeling. Started my first fab project and made a front bumper. It will soon have a winch mounted to it, when I have some money. Here are some pictures Of the bumper and a little wheeling trip up to the strawberry crest trail. Fun little trail.

wheelin_005.jpg

wheelin_006.jpg

I am adding some d rings on each side also.

Heres the wheeling pics
wheelin_004.jpg

wheelin_003.jpg

wheelin_001.jpg

wheelin_002.jpg

did you bend the tube your self, or have a shop do it?
the wheelin pics look sweet.

Bent it myself with the help of some friends. Turns out my friends dad has a full on fab shop down in orangevale

lucky, lol. my buddy closed his shop in placerville. i wanted him to let me use his shop to build mine.

Yea Im pretty stoked. Rear bumper and some sliders come next.

bumper looks good! time fos sliders! you have put that off long enough. looks good bro

hay colindo, was wondering if you could take a pic of your e break set up. i need to get mine done so i can get my break inspection done and would like it to be adjustable as well. thanks.

Back