Gone Fishin' Build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gone Fishin' Build

I come to seek knowledge and advice.

First some background. I sold my FX4 LII a couple years back which used to serve as my fishing trip rig. I then acquired a F250 FX4 two years ago to replace it, and sold it a couple days ago to replace it with a gas efficient daily driver. I do currently own an 83 Fullsize Bronco but it serves only as a dedicated trail rig. I drive 200+ miles each way to go fishing and I can't say I have the confidence in it to make the haul. Plus I recently found out I will be becoming a family man within the next nine months, so now I have to fit more than just the wife and the pups. Being a Ford guy, the only logical choice would be either an Explorer, an Expedition, or another Bronco. My heart is set on an Explorer.

Plans:
I currently have a solid D44 out of a 76 f100/150 as well as the matching 9".
33" all terrains

Needing advice in these areas:
-What year Explorer would you all recommend?
-Will a stock 4.0, auto trans, and t-case hold up to these intended axles and wheels for mostly highway driving with the occasional light wheeling to get down to my fishing hole?
Any other pointers you guys might be able to shoot my way would be greatly appreciated.

Shooting to have it done or close to done by the end of August.

Here is a pic of my Bronco in case anyone is wondering.

IMG_20120129_110143.jpg

IMG_20120114_110534.jpg

Thanks,
Fred

Oh, by the way, I am planning on keeping the axles full width. And, I plan on going coil sprung on the front suspension and leafs out back.

This will also serve as a SHTF/bug out vehicle for all you preppers out there.

Back