Iz's Bingo Bus/Tow Rig | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Iz's Bingo Bus/Tow Rig

I decided it was time to pass on the old E-350 and replace it with another.

So I picked this guy up on Saturday.

- 2001 E-350 7.3 PowerStroke (does not leak!!)
- Auxiliary air-conditioning/heat under the chassis
- 13 seater (including the driver) but I'll probably change up this combo.
- Air-powered side barn doors (by far the coolest part of the vehicle)
- Wide power side mirrors
- Padded interior walls (in case I go nuts.. oh wait)
- Luggage rack (will probably be removed)

Some exteriors:
exterior1.jpg

exterior2.jpg

Some interiors:
interior12.jpg

interior21.jpg

interior31.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another fine lesson from IZwack's School of Fabrication.

Any power plans for the 7.3?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks DKC. As for the 7.3, nothing big in the future, maybe a TS (or whatever else brand) chip but nothing too far out. A pre-oiler would be awesome since this doesn't get used very often but I think I can live w/o that for now. The exhaust is actually not too shabby since the coachmaker changed out everything downstream of the turbo's downtube, so that side of the engine should be good. So for now, minor maintenance stuff and I think the silicone Y-pipe couplers (that take the air from the turbo into the two heads) need to be replaced sometime this summer - I think the some1 cranked down on one of the hose clamps and it pinched (and might have resulted in a hole) the couplers so there might be a small chance that it's loosing some boost pressure. But as it is right now, it has plenty of acceleration so replacing that isn't priority #1.

Thanks DKC. As for the 7.3, nothing big in the future, maybe a TS (or whatever else brand) chip but nothing too far out. A pre-oiler would be awesome since this doesn't get used very often but I think I can live w/o that for now. The exhaust is actually not too shabby since the coachmaker changed out everything downstream of the turbo's downtube, so that side of the engine should be good. So for now, minor maintenance stuff and I think the silicone Y-pipe couplers (that take the air from the turbo into the two heads) need to be replaced sometime this summer - I think the some1 cranked down on one of the hose clamps and it pinched (and might have resulted in a hole) the couplers so there might be a small chance that it's loosing some boost pressure. But as it is right now, it has plenty of acceleration so replacing that isn't priority #1.

When is the 4x4 conversion going on? That would make it so you could make trips to the slopes even when there were road restrictions.

~Mark

That does sound awesome. But with all of the projects that is already in the backburner, I think it may be a while before this idea materializes. And FWIW, it is actually not bad in the snow due to its weight - even with all of the diesel torque, it shoots off in snow quite well (and of course part of that is due to tires - currently michelin m/s).

Shipping would suck though!:( But if you do let me know so we can put the fiberglass doors for the Ex in with it:D

The E-series are non-intercooled right? If they are that makes the boots much easier. A friend recommended
SiliconeIntakes.com

He works with 2 stroke turbo stuff and says they have used these a lot with no issues.

The intake plenums in the valley are supposedly thin and easy to damage. I think Dieselsite has the reinforcement tubes that go into the plenum neck but I am not sure on that. Heck probably already have them fabbed :D

Thanks guys.

DKC - Thanks for the link. So I'm not 100% sure but my van probably has the dreaded powdered metal rods (PMRs) - which means the engine probably has a 400hp limit. So a chip (TS?) is probably as far I'm going to go in terms of upgrading it. I'll still do the minor stuff but nothing outrageous like a gtp38r or hybrid injectors. I'll confirm if it has the PMRs or forged rods sometime this summer just to be sure though.

So this weekend and next are dedicated bus-work weekends in preparation for a trip on June 22nd.

So, lets start off with the introductions, hello engine:
7_3.jpg

At this point, I've already replaced the fuel filter in the bowl, pulled the post-turbo intake Y-pipe in order to replace the small sections of silicone hoses that connects the turbo to each engine bank. So here's the said Y-pipe before I power washed it:
y.jpg

Since the Y-pipe is out, I figured I might as well do the air intake heater (AIH) delete - not so much for power gains but mostly to minimize the chances of the engine ingesting any parts of the heater (the ceramic jacket had 2 spots where a small section had broken off - very small though). The offending heater element in the Y-pipe:
aih.jpg

Some 7.3 owners have used an oil drain plug from a 5.9L Cummins engine to plug the hole (m22 thread) after the AIH element has been removed. However, I had a few problems using this plug, perhaps because the Van's Y-pipe differs from the Pickup's Y-pipe (since the Pickups are intercooled). First problem is that the plug doesnt thread all the way into the hole because the head has a shoulder:
plug4.jpg

plug_problem1.jpg

Another problem is that the plug is a little longer than what's really needed so it protrudes into the intake pipe too much:
plug_problem2.jpg

So off to the lathe. I used a wide parting tool (no room for a regular turning tool) to turn down the plug's shoulder so that it was narrower than the threaded section. I also cut down the rest of the threads that was not needed.
plug_cuttingdown.jpg

Found this O-ring set at the local store, the black ones worked perfectly under the plug to seal in the boost:
O-ring.jpg

Modified plug with O-ring under the head:
plug_cutdown2.jpg

Other side of the plug after it was cut down:
plug_cutdown.jpg

More to come later..

post-turbo intake together again
backtogether.jpg

And did the oil change - four freaking gallons of full synth.
4gal.jpg

Yes he has been bicycling and has given up on fossil fuel vehicles :p:

Chomping on the bit waiting for updates to his OTHER project:D

hehe sorry for the late response.

I finally found a set of stock aluminum Econoline wheels on CraigsList. They're a bit on the "too shiney" side but they look pretty good. Also picked up a set of Michelin MS2s from Sears to go with the wheels as the old ones were starting to dry crack on the sidewall (bus just sits most of the year). The major downside to the new wheels is that they are hub-centric and if this bus ever gets a flat on the rear, I'm just going to set it on fire and walk away cauz removing them from the rear hub is a PITA.

DSC_00012.jpg

DSC_00062.jpg

I had an idea to help get the hub cap off easy take a small drill bit and drill 2 small hole like 1/4 on each side and tach a colt to the inside so that you can screw a bolt into the hole then have a small piece of strap that is big as you want it with 2 holes in it so if you have to take it off all you to do is unscrew the bolt stick it through the strap and screw it back in then just yank the strap and presto hub cap off.

Thanks for the input bovine! I'll keep that in mind. Currently, I'm using a pair of plastic tire bike levers (link) cauz I'm a heavy MTB-er but I'll keep that bolt-strap idea in the back of my head.

I like those wheels a lot better.
I do too - I just wish that the previous owner was a little more careful on removing the caps as there are some tiny scratch marks near the center.

Back